Just back.......

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
....From a 28 mile trip around the North Essex Countryside. A beautiful summer afternoon, I used almost entitrely pedelec & barely touched the throttle. I managed 28 miles by which time the green light was flickering to amber, but it definitely still had some assistance to give. The bike performed really well, I hit a maximum speed of 32.8 mph, but mostly cruised around 16mph. The only downside - I really noticed how uncomfortable the standard handlebar grips are on the Alien. Suggestions for replacements would be very welcome.

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
....From a 28 mile trip around the North Essex Countryside. A beautiful summer afternoon, I used almost entitrely pedelec & barely touched the throttle. I managed 28 miles by which time the green light was flickering to amber, but it definitely still had some assistance to give. The bike performed really well, I hit a maximum speed of 32.8 mph, but mostly cruised around 16mph. The only downside - I really noticed how uncomfortable the standard handlebar grips are on the Alien. Suggestions for replacements would be very welcome.
I haven`t looked back on both of my E bikes since I fitted some bar ends and fitted some foam slide ons. That upright riding position just takes all the weight away from your hands. Let me know if you want to see the ones I fitted.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
we got back Friday from 4 days cycling Norfolk coast...nice to get out of London traffic now and again:)

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
we got back Friday from 4 days cycling Norfolk coast...nice to get out of London traffic now and again:)
Did you go inland at all? I just posted a thread from a ride today and the countryside just inland can be beautiful at this time of year. Over the 20 miles we did today around the lanes I counted 10 cars from either behind or in front.

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
It's a great part of the country. A few years ago I stayed with a mate near Basham, we cycled around walsingham, Gt Snoring & Little Snoring area before cycling to Holkham Hall, Wells, Stiffkey & Blakeney along the coast. There are some really nice villages out there, good pubs & relatively flat cycling.

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
I haven`t looked back on both of my E bikes since I fitted some bar ends and fitted some foam slide ons. That upright riding position just takes all the weight away from your hands. Let me know if you want to see the ones I fitted.
I'd certainly be interested to see those. Ideally I probably still need to raise the handlebars a bit higher, but any other suggestions are certainly welcome.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Just stuck to the coast roads., nicely undulating not at all flat as expected. view ruined in places by static caravans, why they need to be placed on cliff side is beyond me.....

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Just stuck to the coast roads., nicely undulating not at all flat as expected. view ruined in places by static caravans, why they need to be placed on cliff side is beyond me.....
No worries, I suspect rapid coastal erosion will soon put an end to that, every cloud....... You are right, the coast road is surprisingly undulating, I doubt I could manage some of those hills on an unassisted bike.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
No worries, I suspect rapid coastal erosion will soon put an end to that, every cloud....... You are right, the coast road is surprisingly undulating, I doubt I could manage some of those hills on an unassisted bike.
yes I was surprised, one day we hit a really fast hill on the down slope.....I worried regards getting back up it all day, unnecessarily as it happens, as I did not even notice it on way back, that's the beauty of an e bike I guess you can relax a bit:p

Old Timer

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 5, 2009
I'd certainly be interested to see those. Ideally I probably still need to raise the handlebars a bit higher, but any other suggestions are certainly welcome.
Have a look here double_electric_hub Photo Gallery by david chilvers at pbase.com you can raise them any amount you like. I also fitted an extender to raise the stem about 3". You can still drop down onto the bars for braking and pushing hard and just sit up and cruise as and when.

rustic

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2008
North Essex
Have a look here double_electric_hub Photo Gallery by david chilvers at pbase.com you can raise them any amount you like. I also fitted an extender to raise the stem about 3". You can still drop down onto the bars for braking and pushing hard and just sit up and cruise as and when.
Thanks for that Dave, they could prove a perfect solution. Compliments on the gallery btw. Some really fantastic photo's there, very inspirational images of your local area.