Just done my first conversation

spainyol

Just Joined
Sep 21, 2023
Hi all, after buying my partner an e-vengeance I was jealous of her blasting past me at any given opportunity so I've just done my own conversation on my trusty caliber Twotwo using a kit from Evolve electric bikes.

I must say Lloyd was a pleasure to deal with and fitting was straightforward other than some initial alignment issues solved by building the wheel out from the brake side with spacers and some mild grinding down of my crank arm to ease the pinch pressure on the pedal assist sensor. Hoping now to carry out a mid drive conversation on my full squish

Attachments

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Tidy conversion. Nice cable management, I never thought about routing the cables up the inner side of the seat tube etc. neater than routing them up the under side of the down tube.

Your drip-loop could be a tad longer.

Reactions: spainyol

spainyol

Just Joined
Sep 21, 2023
Went out and put 15 miles on it this morning and i am well an truly hooked on the ebike revolution. Half a charge left in the battery and all seems well. We did some really steep climbs and it took everything in its stride. Definately feeling inspired to attempt a mid drive conversion on my 2020 Bossnut if I can think of a way to mount the battery somehow as the bottle brackets are on the front of the downtube and i dont like the idea of it being in the firing line of all that dirt and water.

Has anyone used Rivnuts to mount on the top tube or would this cause problems?

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I wouldn't use rivnuts to hang a battery from the crossbar, if that's what you're planning. Rivnuts on the top of the crossbar to hold metal straps in place would be OK, however, normal downtube batteries are not designed to be used upside down.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
A Bossnut mid-drive conversion is in this thread from this very website:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/calibre-bossnut-with-tongsheng-tsdz2.39881/

Of course hanging the battery from the crossbar goes against saneagle's advice. He is very knowledgeable and his advice should not be taken lightly, but if you are determined to covert the bike and there is no other way....

You could always try to contact the OP of that thread (Paultig) and ask him how his conversion is working out.

Reactions: spainyol and Woosh

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Evolve electric bikes.
Stealthy motor & battery, I like it... I suppose it goes without saying, get a decent lock.

neater than routing them up the under side of the down tube.
Some cables may not be long enough & some maybe too long. The Yose front black 250w I got came with a 1.5m ish cable and the MXUS cable is 20cm.

Mad Dog

Just Joined
Nov 19, 2023
A Bossnut mid-drive conversion is in this thread from this very website:

https://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/calibre-bossnut-with-tongsheng-tsdz2.39881/

Of course hanging the battery from the crossbar goes against saneagle's advice. He is very knowledgeable and his advice should not be taken lightly, but if you are determined to covert the bike and there is no other way....

You could always try to contact the OP of that thread (Paultig) and ask him how his conversion is working out.

Doesn't that frame already have bolt lugs in the underside of the down tube from the factory?

Couldn't the battery pack be mounted upside down in that space between your crud catcvher and the motor housing?

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
Couldn't the battery pack be mounted upside down in that space between your crud catcvher and the motor housing?
Get muddy & wet mind, hit a hard dump and spenny drops hard, there would need have clearances checked. I have seen it done.

Most full spenny bikes (DIY) got backpack battery with quick disconnect cable/connector custom hole in base a backpack, how it works if you fall off mind idk, I never looked deep into it, but you could, if you didn't mind and heavy duty long hall battery if one desired.

Waspy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2012
Doesn't that frame already have bolt lugs in the underside of the down tube from the factory?

That is not my bike, so I don't know the answer to your first question.

People have hung batteries from the front of the downtube but I would guess it's far from optimal.

Depends what you are going to use the bike for, bimbling along towpaths, probably OK. Downhill racing, probably not.

• Agree
Reactions: PC2017