Just finished my 250W Bafang conversion

Jayfdee

Pedelecer
Nov 14, 2018
I have completed my 250W Bafang conversion and I am very pleased with the result.
The conversion was on a new 27.5 Giant hard tail. I have previously converted my old Orange P7 to a hub drive, but I wanted a more modern bike. The old P7 had many,many thousands of hard miles over 20 years of use, and everything was worn and creaked, so for the crank drive, I decided to start with a new but relatively basic Giant.
The conversion was easy, the wiring harness was very long so I bought a frame bag and hid all the excess cable in there, also room for a pump and tube etc.
I live in a very hilly area and was worried about the power, but with a few tweaks to the programming I have got it working very well. It climbs much better than my 500W rear hub bike. You obviously have to use the gears to keep the crank spinning at the best power output, with a hub drive, when the speed gets low the power drops off rapidly.
I have a 16ah battery and the crank drive goes much further on a charge.
I have just done a 30 mile ride, with over 1000ft of climb, and returned with the battery on half, all the climb was done on full assist. I have upped the max amps to 18, I checked the temperature at the summit and it was only slightly warm, however it was almost at 0deg at the summit.
I have now done 300 miles, and all is well.bike.jpg

Reactions: Wicky

Benjahmin

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 10, 2014
West Wales
Hi Jay,
Nice neat job,loving the colour co-ordination.
I suspect your old hub was a direct drive rather than geared, thet's why the power dropped off on hills and it used more battery.