Just had my first RTA on my bike

Was in my last 400 yds of my journey home. I was overtaking two parked cars, but was only going slow as there is a junction about 50 yards ahead on the left and the road surface is shocking. As i overtook the first car, a Xsara Picasso began to overtake me. There was a car parked on the opposite side, and an oncoming driver also tried to squeeze through the gap. My available space narrowed until the car that was overtaking me clipped my right handlebar with his wingmirror. I was going about 5mph max by this time, but the impact turned my front wheel, i hit the parked car inside me and came off. I wasn't hurt, apart from a jarred right wrist/thumb. The bike (Wisper 905se city) was ok apart from a displaced chain. The driver that hit me lives 4 doors up from me. He'd stopped to make sure I was ok, but realised he was in the wrong and was very sheepish. He also admitted he'd been distracted by his sister waving at him from across the road! I'll see what happens to the thumb/wrist before i decide whether to report anything tomorrow. Feeling a bit ropey now though.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
Hope you're OK in the morning. I also had my first RTA yesterday, cycling along at a peaceful 10 - 12 mph on road into Wimborne Dorset enjoying the last of the summer sunshine when BANG! I was knocked off my bike and ended up in the road with my shoulder taking most of the impact. It was some old dear (must've been 75+) who got out all apologetic how she'd not had anything like this happen in over 40 yrs etc etc. and that she must've wandered too close! She said she'd taken the car out because she was a little tired!!! I was only thankful it didn't slam me into the path of some following vehicle. Also reckon the helmet at least saved a nasty graze/bump on the head.

Snapped my rear view mirror off (I feel 'naked' without one of them) but other than that nothing too much in damage. I had the legs yesterday an was on the non-pedelec - I think the bill would be a good bit higher for her had I been on the Kalkoff!

Had the shoulder checked out at A&E just to be sure but - WHAT A WAIT! During 3.5 hours in A&E the whole of life passes before you including the arrest of some youth with a threatening weapon (a needle!)!! That's Bournemouth!

I basically rattled a bit between the two cars, at lowish speed, so not too much damage. I know the guy who hit me, he used to pick me up and give a lift along that same stretch of road. His wife was his passenger, but they didn't know it was me he'd hit until after I got up. I think it was a momentary lack of concentration on his part. Thing is, i was a good 3ft from the parked cars to start with, but he shouldn't have overtaken me when i was already doing it. There was absolutely nothing i could do, other than to try to minimise the speed of the pending crash.

DebbieAC1

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 2, 2010
Very Near Miss

Had a near miss on my way to work, I was riding in a cycle lane slowing to stop at some red traffic lights when a white van decieded to pull over into the cycle lane then reverse down it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I only just got out of the way by getting onto the pavement, narrowly missing hitting a lady waiting at the bus stop.

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
I basically rattled a bit between the two cars, at lowish speed, so not too much damage. I know the guy who hit me, he used to pick me up and give a lift along that same stretch of road. His wife was his passenger, but they didn't know it was me he'd hit until after I got up. I think it was a momentary lack of concentration on his part. Thing is, i was a good 3ft from the parked cars to start with, but he shouldn't have overtaken me when i was already doing it. There was absolutely nothing i could do, other than to try to minimise the speed of the pending crash.
Not quite sure if the car driver would be at fault in this one? It could be argued that you pulled out to pass the parked cars without checking it was safe to do so. As you say, the car pulled level with you as you passed the first parked car so he must have been pretty close as you pulled out.
If your travelling on the inside lane and pull out into the outer lane and the path of a faster vehicle coming up behind you, wouldn't you be at fault?

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Not quite sure if the car driver would be at fault in this one? It could be argued that you pulled out to pass the parked cars without checking it was safe to do so. As you say, the car pulled level with you as you passed the first parked car so he must have been pretty close as you pulled out.
If your travelling on the inside lane and pull out into the outer lane and the path of a faster vehicle coming up behind you, wouldn't you be at fault?
I think the key point here is that he didn't change lane into the path of a faster moving vehicle. It sounds like the car driver attempted a double overtake manoeuvre (cycle and parked car) and didn't pull it off. Unfortunately, it was the cyclist who suffered the consequences.

I always try to pull out well ahead of parked cars and go out towards the White line sufficiently far enough to remove any temptation to chance a double overtake. The danger here I suppose is if the car driver decides to go over the top of me instead of around me.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Best way to avoid double overtakes like that are to use a mirror on the bike and always use it to judge when to pass parked cars, i.e. between passing traffic. It's so easy to vary ones approach speed on an e-bike that this isn't difficult to do.

Another dodge I use on a particular road with parked cars and fast traffic is to use pavement cutaways in front of drives whenever there's no pedestrians around, passing the parked car on the pavement side. It's a neat way of joining up a cycle lane without slowing when it's blocked by a parked car.

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
I always try to pull out well ahead of parked cars and go out towards the White line sufficiently far enough to remove any temptation to chance a double overtake.
Not to downplay the seriousness of getting hit by cars, nor the stupidity of many car drivers, but tillson's point is valid.

I (like many old people) always attempt to be polite and courteous, even to drivers approaching me from the rear, and it takes some determination to overcome that natural 'niceness' and take up 'primary' position: far safer for me, but it means that there's no way past. Except, as Tillson points out, unless they drive over me. Tempting fate?

A

trickletreat

Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2010
Was in my last 400 yds of my journey home. I was overtaking two parked cars, but was only going slow as there is a junction about 50 yards ahead on the left and the road surface is shocking. As i overtook the first car, a Xsara Picasso began to overtake me. There was a car parked on the opposite side, and an oncoming driver also tried to squeeze through the gap. My available space narrowed until the car that was overtaking me clipped my right handlebar with his wingmirror. I was going about 5mph max by this time, but the impact turned my front wheel, i hit the parked car inside me and came off. I wasn't hurt, apart from a jarred right wrist/thumb. The bike (Wisper 905se city) was ok apart from a displaced chain. The driver that hit me lives 4 doors up from me. He'd stopped to make sure I was ok, but realised he was in the wrong and was very sheepish. He also admitted he'd been distracted by his sister waving at him from across the road! I'll see what happens to the thumb/wrist before i decide whether to report anything tomorrow. Feeling a bit ropey now though.
Sorry to here this and hope that you are okay. Difficult with it being a neighbour, but best to record any injuries with GP and get yourself checked out. Sometimes injuries don't show up straight away.

Tea and cake first
Nigel

Pedalo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2009
A chap at work recommended the book "Cyclecraft". Apparently it has some advice on where to position yourself to minimise the risk of accidents.

I've a birthday in a couple of weeks so it's on my list!

onmebike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 3, 2010
West Essex
I think the key point here is that he didn't change lane into the path of a faster moving vehicle. It sounds like the car driver attempted a double overtake manoeuvre (cycle and parked car) and didn't pull it off. Unfortunately, it was the cyclist who suffered the consequences.

I always try to pull out well ahead of parked cars and go out towards the White line sufficiently far enough to remove any temptation to chance a double overtake. The danger here I suppose is if the car driver decides to go over the top of me instead of around me.
Was it an attempt at a double overtake or simply the car had insufficient time to slow down? Being level with the cyclist at the first parked car my impression is the cyclist misjudged the speed of the car and couldn't complete the manouvre safely. Thankfully little damage was done.

Patrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 9, 2009
A chap at work recommended the book "Cyclecraft". Apparently it has some advice on where to position yourself to minimise the risk of accidents.
I got myself a copy of that and it changed the way I ride in traffic. When I'm in trafic now I normally position myself firmly in the flow so that drivers have to take notice of me and move into the oncomming lane to overtake, just like they would do if they were overtaking a car. I find that drivers treat me with much more respect then when I was riding on the edge of the road trying to keep out of their way. You get the occasional pratt who beeps, but I just treat that as an indication that they've seen me and slowed down as they should.

The two parked cars were just part of a long line I was overtaking at the time. The street on that side has parked cars all the way along. The decision and manoeuvre to overtake on my part was taken maybe 200 yards back. I never actually pulled back in from the previous set of parked cars. The Xsara Picasso wasn't there then, so I didn't actually pull out in front of anyone. He told me he'd seen me, knew I was there (I wear a dayglo orange jacket), but unfortunately faced with the choice of hitting the oncoming car or risking hitting me, he chose the latter. He misjudged his overtaking space and admitted he was distracted by his sister waving at him from the other side of the road.

PS. I already have a copy of Cyclecraft.

Last edited:

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I got myself a copy of that and it changed the way I ride in traffic. When I'm in trafic now I normally position myself firmly in the flow so that drivers have to take notice of me and move into the oncomming lane to overtake, just like they would do if they were overtaking a car. I find that drivers treat me with much more respect then when I was riding on the edge of the road trying to keep out of their way. You get the occasional pratt who beeps, but I just treat that as an indication that they've seen me and slowed down as they should.
Asserting your presence on the road seems to have very little margin for error. From what I read of other peoples experiences, being too passive on the road can be just as dangerous as aggressive cycling. Striking the correct balance is the difficult part.

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
He told me he'd seen me, knew I was there (I wear a dayglo orange jacket), but unfortunately faced with the choice of hitting the oncoming car or risking hitting me, he chose the latter. He misjudged his overtaking space and admitted he was distracted by his sister waving at him from the other side of the road.
At least he's honest enough to admit this. This is the reality of life. Its not even that much to do with driving skills, vehicles, cars, bikes or anything else. When people are put into a pressure situation, they think of themselves and their nearest and dearest first. Even your best friend or close neighbour will do this.

Also one of the the worst place for RTCs is near peoples homes - people get complacent and also easily distracted. A lot of children in particular are killed and injured this way.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Asserting your presence on the road seems to have very little margin for error. From what I read of other peoples experiences, being too passive on the road can be just as dangerous as aggressive cycling. Striking the correct balance is the difficult part.
Indeed.........It is hard, I hate roads with lots of islands as these create pinch points and areas of danger IMO so I try and avoid them. And holding a line with impatient motorists behind can be very intimidating, I mentioned a near miss on Friday, again yesterday someone nearly clipped me:(

I agree about the 'nearness to home' thing. As a cyclist though I have to really concentrate on that road, although it's straight, the road surface is broken in places, and badly subsided patch-ups exist right on the riding line. Sometimes you can't take the exact line you want, for fear of being pitched off by the state of it. It's appalling really, a real wrist breaker. Maybe I can post some pictures later?

Last edited:

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
Was it an attempt at a double overtake or simply the car had insufficient time to slow down? Being level with the cyclist at the first parked car my impression is the cyclist misjudged the speed of the car and couldn't complete the manouvre safely. Thankfully little damage was done.
This seems to be the second attempt to blame the cyclist for this accident. I think a cyclist has to right to ride down the road whether there are parked cars on it or not. If a driver cannot work out that it is the cyclists right of way and that there is not room for a cyclist and two cars then they should have their licence removed. After all you wouldn't try and over-take a car under those circumstances would you?

That's maybe because I didn't report the full situation. Some people will still have a go at pitching blame though, even without the full facts. There were no dodgy manouevres by me, no pullouts without looking, or anything like that, just a driver who saw me from 200 yards away and incorrectly judged a gap and tried to squeeze through at my expense.

Attachments