Just joined the pedelec club

Daniel Chapman

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2016
Hi all,

So I've finally joined the pedelec club after what felt like an eternity waiting for my cyclescheme voucher; I've gone with the Cube Cross Hybrid Pro 400. I was hoping to get the model up with the performance line but really couldn't afford it so I'm hoping that the active line helps me sufficiently up hills.

I have a question that I was hoping someone could help with though, it's raining (as usual) here which has led me to my first concern.. Is it safe to ride this in the rain? I think the motor and battery look like they should be ok, but I am a little concerned that Iay have issues with the intuvia display.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks

Jason P

Pedelecer
Apr 22, 2014
It should be weather sealed and fine. If there's nothing in the handbook to say otherwise, assume it's up for all weather use.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Sale of goods act might suggest a bike that failed in the rain was unsutable for sale in the UK as we have had occasional showers.

Reactions: anotherkiwi

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Some of which last for days on end... :eek:

Reactions: D8ve

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/cube-reaction-hybrid-pro-bosch-cx-500wh.23332/page-2#post-295764

Or cut and pasted.

Starting at the handlebar end, water is prone to get between the HDMI (console) and the connecting housing bracket. It takes surprisingly little rain to enter between the two, and I would advise removal of the console between wet rides, the drying of the two components, and the application of dielectric lube. Most error codes can be traced back to either this element of the system or the battery connector. If you ever get error codes come up, check both first.

I also regularly remove the plastic cover from the mode setting switch and clean behind. With my off road use in all weather conditions, moisture and crud get behind. This doesn't affect the system in any way though. In your case I wouldn't advise removing it, as it has two very small plastic securing pins that could easily be snapped.

Moving down to the battery. This is an area of concern, as water collects between the battery and the connecting block.

With this area, as well as removing the battery after each ride and ensuring that the contacts are clean and dry on both the battery and the connection block, every few weeks or so, I also remove the plastic case that surrounds the block, as this is another trap for moisture and crud. Apply dielectric to the contact points.

At this point, I should also mention the lock that secures the battery. This is quite a problem if using the bike in adverse conditions, and soon becomes stiff in operation. I often remove and clean the outer plastic cover, and in respect of the lock, I use either graphite powder, or ceramic dry chain lube. Just a small dab of it, wiped on, then off the key, usually makes a massive difference.

Now the motor. My bike spends most of the time looking like this.

What I will say is that you don't have anything to worry about in respect of the cases. Very little moisture actually ever enters the cases, and the connection blocks always remain moisture free.
I would suggest that you take a look to see if you have the plain alloy motor such as mine below.

If you do have plain cases, then I would strongly recommend using something such as ACF50 to coat the motor. They really do not like being even remotely damp, and corrosion quickly sets in. You might be lucky and have the new black cases, which presumably won't ever be an issue.

A handy hint for you at bike washing time, is to remove both the console and battery, and then fit a latex glove to both mounts. As you will also see, I have some very large holes to the sprocket area of my motor cases. The cover was destroyed a very long time ago, but it does go to show, how even with these holes. very little in the way of water ever gets in.

Finally, please don't feel put off by what I have shown. My use of the e-mtb is very different to most, and whilst the above looks severe, the reality is that you have nothing to worry about. :)

The Bosch system is very good. Just get on and enjoy the bik

Reactions: Daniel Chapman

Daniel Chapman

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2016
Hi all,

Thank you very much for your responses, very much appreciated.

I ended going out for a bit earlier today, and I'm just incredibly impressed with this motor. It happily carried me up a mountain road with a little effort on my part, but definitely would have had to push it without it.

The active line is definitely good enough for me (and I'm a big guy at 320lb!). I know the mileage range is going to be low for me; today I lost 1 battery bar after 10 miles so I think I'll end up getting around 25 miles. I certainly can see how the performance line would be more helpful up the hills but I'm more than happy to put in some effort in on this.

Daniel Chapman

Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2016
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/cube-reaction-hybrid-pro-bosch-cx-500wh.23332/page-2#post-295764

Or cut and pasted.

Starting at the handlebar end, water is prone to get between the HDMI (console) and the connecting housing bracket. It takes surprisingly little rain to enter between the two, and I would advise removal of the console between wet rides, the drying of the two components, and the application of dielectric lube. Most error codes can be traced back to either this element of the system or the battery connector. If you ever get error codes come up, check both first.

I also regularly remove the plastic cover from the mode setting switch and clean behind. With my off road use in all weather conditions, moisture and crud get behind. This doesn't affect the system in any way though. In your case I wouldn't advise removing it, as it has two very small plastic securing pins that could easily be snapped.

Moving down to the battery. This is an area of concern, as water collects between the battery and the connecting block.

With this area, as well as removing the battery after each ride and ensuring that the contacts are clean and dry on both the battery and the connection block, every few weeks or so, I also remove the plastic case that surrounds the block, as this is another trap for moisture and crud. Apply dielectric to the contact points.

At this point, I should also mention the lock that secures the battery. This is quite a problem if using the bike in adverse conditions, and soon becomes stiff in operation. I often remove and clean the outer plastic cover, and in respect of the lock, I use either graphite powder, or ceramic dry chain lube. Just a small dab of it, wiped on, then off the key, usually makes a massive difference.

Now the motor. My bike spends most of the time looking like this.

What I will say is that you don't have anything to worry about in respect of the cases. Very little moisture actually ever enters the cases, and the connection blocks always remain moisture free.
I would suggest that you take a look to see if you have the plain alloy motor such as mine below.

If you do have plain cases, then I would strongly recommend using something such as ACF50 to coat the motor. They really do not like being even remotely damp, and corrosion quickly sets in. You might be lucky and have the new black cases, which presumably won't ever be an issue.

A handy hint for you at bike washing time, is to remove both the console and battery, and then fit a latex glove to both mounts. As you will also see, I have some very large holes to the sprocket area of my motor cases. The cover was destroyed a very long time ago, but it does go to show, how even with these holes. very little in the way of water ever gets in.

Finally, please don't feel put off by what I have shown. My use of the e-mtb is very different to most, and whilst the above looks severe, the reality is that you have nothing to worry about. :)

The Bosch system is very good. Just get on and enjoy the bik
Thank you for this, very helpful and extremely detailed, I'll be keeping this handy.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
it will be fine just dont ride it up the brook/stream ect ;)

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
the active and performance motors are the same thing and the only difference is the software.

inside the motor both are the same and 350w

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
and b4 you ask no dealer can change the motor software over from active to performance as it can only be done by Bosch at the factory.