Just purchased 2 Kalkhoff bikes

nomlad

Just Joined
Jun 15, 2011
Hi,
I'm an expat living in Zurich, Switzerland, and after some research I decided to by a Kalkhoff pedelc bike for my wife. The model I chose was the PRO CONNECT C
8 Nexus
step through (a 2011 model I believe). I bought this just over the border in Germany (as with most things the bike was cheaper in Germany and the shop actually had the model I wanted in stock). When I was there buying the bike I saw a PRO CONNECT 8G Alfine standard 'men's' frame (2010 model I think) and bought it as well on impulse. Since buying the bikes I have read up on the panasonic drive (thanks flecc!) and I am really interested in how they work, especially on some of the relatively steep hills I have to negotiate around the Zurich area. I'm already thinking of some modifications to raise the start of the power cutoff and give me a higher gear ratio as I find the 8th gear not really high enough. So far I'm reasonably happy with the purchase - although there is one piont in my commute where I would love to be able to just get full power and not pedal for about 50 m of a particularly steep hill - maybe my riding technique is not correct but it really feels as though the drive is letting me down at that point.
I'm really interested in any comments / questions on my bike choice.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Great choice of bikes nomlad. You may find the power characteristic different on the two bikes. The 2011 model should retain full power to about 22 kph (14 mph), but the 2010 model may have the phase down beginning much earlier with the power reducing steadily from 15 kph until the 25 limit.

The 2011 model can be used with any cadence (pedalling speed), but the 2010 if it's the early phase down model is best used below 40 rpm pedal speed for maximum power.

I think it's always best to use them for a while before making any changes to gearing, since getting used to the system often gets more out of it than initially happens. That said, I'm sure you'll find slightly higher gearing an advantage in the end, judging from your experiences so far.

nomlad

Just Joined
Jun 15, 2011
2 years on and still really happy with the bikes, used them a lot for commuting and pleasure - just got around to ordering the new gear sprockets from 50cycles (12 tooth motor, 19 tooth rear hub) for my bike, not fitted yet though. I like the look of the new X24 and X27 which use the rear hub motor - anyone got one of those?

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
Hi Nomlad,
I have an 11t/19t set up on mine, effectively make what was 1-7 gears 2-8. I can still ride up 20% + gradients and the higher gearing makes it better on the flat/downhill. I am sure you will enjoy the new mods.