just saying hello, new to Board

Derrick Lewis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 20, 2018
Redditch
Hi am new to board but not new to ebiking, first one i built a few years ago and was a bog standard front wheel ebay kit fitted to a basic apollo(halfords) bike thinking it would do for now, But was much better than i expected and is still going strong on a friends bike. second bike i built was a all wheel drive (another cheap ebay kit) but with the sw900 lcd display fitted on a Gt Avalanche frame. i have now used this cheap ebay kit on 5 other bikes for friends and we all go out on ebikes. We are all over 50 btw.
I have also built all the batteries using old laptop batteries,can get a bit tedious doing all the testing for heat,ah and leaving for a couple of weeks making sure there isn't a lot of volt drops,The first few batteries i built i soldered together and glued together, they are still going now but now and then a bit of solder comes off :( . I have since advanced to putting the 18650 batteries in spacers and spot welding on a home made spot welder and batteries are much better.
I am now about to progress onto a sine wave controller 36v-72v i will be making 2x 36v(10s 7p) 15.4ah batteries that i can use in parallel when out with mates using 36v 30.8ah and when out on my own 72v 15.4ah

been reading the board for a while but think it was about time i joined :)

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
Welcome to the forum Derrick, always good to see another builder on here. Interested to know what motor you are planning on running at 72v.

Reactions: Derrick Lewis

Derrick Lewis

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jul 20, 2018
Redditch
i am going to use the default ebay cheapo (1000w) at first, have looked into rewinding the copper and drilling holes for more venting. but i don`t mind buying another wheel if this can`t handle the extra power, i will let you know in next week or 2 if it works

wheeliepete

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 28, 2016
Devon
72v will deff. get it spinning well, you can play around with the amperage to see what it'll take.

Fat Rat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2018
UK
Hi welcome

Nice to see your keeping yourself busy
:)