Kalkhoff 17ah battery sleep mode

Roger R

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2015
I have a recently purchased Pro-connect 10 from 50 Cycles. I'm pretty sure when I bought it and tried one of the test bikes the battery was in some sort of sleep mode and the guy had to press the red button on the battery to wake it up (I.e. it would not start with just the button on the handlebar).

I am also pretty sure this happened once since I had the bike - I.e. it needed a push off the red button to switch it on.

So - I was under the impression if you didn't use the bike for a couple of days it would go into some sort of sleep/conservation mode that meant the battery would retain its charge. However that does not seem to be the case. After using the bike fairly regularly for the first two weeks I left it for a week and the battery did not shut down and lost about 15% of its charge.

Can anyone caste any light on this - is there any type of shut down/sleep mode for the battery that helps conserve the charge?

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
Interestingly I have had the same problem with my bike. I left the battery ( fully charged ) on the bike for three weeks and then took it for a ride. After 4 miles the battery indicator went from nearly full to nearly empty. It took over 5 hours to recharge it.

50Cycles said the battery should be taken off the bike and recharged with the cradle NOT using the charger lead just plugged into the battery.

The battery is currently being stored off the bike for a reasonable period to see if it loses its charge again.

Roger R

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2015
Interestingly I have had the same problem with my bike. I left the battery ( fully charged ) on the bike for three weeks and then took it for a ride. After 4 miles the battery indicator went from nearly full to nearly empty. It took over 5 hours to recharge it.

50Cycles said the battery should be taken off the bike and recharged with the cradle NOT using the charger lead just plugged into the battery.

The battery is currently being stored off the bike for a reasonable period to see if it loses its charge again.
It will be interesting to see what happens. Still interested to know if there is supposed to be a sleep mode that conserves the battery.

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
I have 2 17Ah Kalkhoff batteries and one of them has been unused for 4 months, but when I got it out today it still had 5 lights.

I believe the sleep mode only activates after a week or two. If left for several days, my regular battery would lose some charge, noticeable by going to the next light on the meter after fewer miles.

Reactions: Roger R

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
From the manual:

"The battery management switches the battery to sleep mode to prevent it from totally discharging. This can occur after different lengths of time without being used. Depending on the charge state of the battery, this can occur earlier with a lower charge and later with a higher charge. At the latest, the management system activates the sleep mode after 10 days without using the battery. The system exits sleep mode when you connect the battery to the charger or press the 'Push' button on the battery."

Roger R

Pedelecer
Jul 6, 2015
From the manual:

"The battery management switches the battery to sleep mode to prevent it from totally discharging. This can occur after different lengths of time without being used. Depending on the charge state of the battery, this can occur earlier with a lower charge and later with a higher charge. At the latest, the management system activates the sleep mode after 10 days without using the battery. The system exits sleep mode when you connect the battery to the charger or press the 'Push' button on the battery."
Thanks Vincent. I did look at the manual (PDF) and couldn't see this.

One_Box

Pedelecer
Jul 29, 2014
Leominster
It will be interesting to see what happens. Still interested to know if there is supposed to be a sleep mode that conserves the battery.
The battery seems to be retaining its charge now that I'm leaving it off the bike when not using it. I shall also always use the cradle for charging following advice from 50Cycles.