Kalkhoff Agattu Battery led error message

MR E

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2007
West Sussex PO21
I have a Kalkhoff Agattu bought in Jan 2014 , and now have a problem with my 612wh battery.( 17amp)
Every time I power up, the leds that indicate battery capacity display on the handlebar flashes rapidly , sometimes the frequency changes to that of rapid winking. I have proved that the problem is the battery as changed with another battery on my other Agattu and fault stays with battery on either bike.
I have "reset" battery by riding until cut off , and recharging, but fault still exists. Tried again--with same.
After complete recharge and holding battery button in get 5 leds , then holding for greater then 5 seconds , I just get 4 leds display which indicate battery efficiency is down to 80%.
I have done about 2500 miles on this bike.
As battery is out of warranty- wondered if anyone has had this problem before I explore if there is anything that can be done as these batteries are hugely expensive.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
It sounds like the battery is still working anyway.

Why do you care if the LEDs are just flashing red, if the rest works?

lordvincent

Pedelecer
Jan 23, 2015
When I had a problem with my battery (mine was showing reduced capacity after very little use), someone from 50 cycles said that placing the battery in the table top charger reset something in the battery and was different to plugging in the cable. I don't know whether this is true or not, and it did not solve my issue (they replaced the battery), but maybe it's worth a try for your problem.

Other than that, I know that 50c can 're-calibrate' batteries which might solve the problem.

• Informative
Reactions: Tomtomato

MR E

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2007
West Sussex PO21
I have tried the different charging methods but it made no difference to mine either. I will try to totally discharge the battery putting a load onto this to reduce further as I believe that once the battery is flat, the BMS re-calibrates.
I have run the battery flat last time , but only until the motor stops, but there is still plenty of voltage in the cells at this stage. Not sure if I can reduce the voltage any further with a load , due to the intelligent BMS, but going to give it a go. My battery is 6 months out of warranty. I have also noticed now that the motor is sluggish to kick in from a standing start due to this battery issue.

D8ve

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2013
Bristol
Please don't run it dead flat. That's the way to kill any battery. Your reliant on the bms when one low cell could fail killing the whole setup

• Useful
Reactions: IR772

MR E

Pedelecer
Dec 6, 2007
West Sussex PO21
Please don't run it dead flat. That's the way to kill any battery. Your reliant on the bms when one low cell could fail killing the whole setup
I have not yet run it totally flat, but does anyone know how 50 cycles will "recalibrate" the battery. I assume they just run it flat until the motor stops.
At this stage there is usually about 34 volts left.

KeithMac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 20, 2016
York
Some people say leave it on charge for a couple of days to "balance" the pack. Don't know if this is just for LiPo though?.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Some people say leave it on charge for a couple of days to "balance" the pack. Don't know if this is just for LiPo though?.
May have your battery chemistry's mixed up there, I would not want to leave lipo's unattended for much more then 1/2hr let alone a couple of days.

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
I have a Kalkhoff Agattu bought in Jan 2014 , and now have a problem with my 612wh battery.( 17amp)
Every time I power up, the leds that indicate battery capacity display on the handlebar flashes rapidly , sometimes the frequency changes to that of rapid winking. I have proved that the problem is the battery as changed with another battery on my other Agattu and fault stays with battery on either bike.
I have "reset" battery by riding until cut off , and recharging, but fault still exists. Tried again--with same.
After complete recharge and holding battery button in get 5 leds , then holding for greater then 5 seconds , I just get 4 leds display which indicate battery efficiency is down to 80%.
I have done about 2500 miles on this bike.
As battery is out of warranty- wondered if anyone has had this problem before I explore if there is anything that can be done as these batteries are hugely expensive.
Sounds like a bank of cells may well be low or are weak, they probably need to be charged separately to see if they hold up or not. If a bank of cells are well out of balance then the bms may shut off once the others have hit full charge leaving one bank still low.