Aug 17, 2006
Reviewer: Kingsley Hendrickse

Model: Agattu Large Cross Frame

Retailer: 50Cycles

Purchase Price: £1300

TimeOwned: 1 month

Terrain: Flat

Strengths:
Brilliant for commuting. I commute 21 miles each way from Essex into London. I charge up the battery at work during the day. I can make the 42 miles on one charge using medium power setting - but since I have a plug at work I feel more happy seeing 3 leds at full power before I set off :)
I have a few very minor hills which I change into 4th gear to climb but then quickly shift into 6 then 7. The rest of the time I'm in 7th gear all the way - keeping an average speed of 16.5 - 17.5 mph. In the morning the 21 miles takes me 1 hour 17 and on the way home about 1 hour 25 as Im a bit tired. Even when very tired and pedalling quite casually I can do 21 miles in 1 hour 30 no problem - and thats at 14.5 / 15.5 mph. One of the main benefits for me is the power assist - Its just great - esp when I have 42 mile round trip. On a normal bike i would be very tired! On the agattu 6 miles is pretty easy - 10 miles and 1 power light goes out - 13 miles starting to feel a bit of a work out - 17 miles getting a bit tired and by 21 miles Im at work and feel like I have had a good ride. The battery is small and removable which is great - its quite heavy but the recharger unit is quite light so thats pretty good. I put it in the paniers I also got from 50 cycles. It doesnt seem to matter how much stuff I load into the paniers there no difference to the ride.

Weaknesses:
The battery has a separate charger unit - would have been cool to just somehow plug in the battery directly to the power. The spoke lock on the back wheel is a nice idea but I never use it. I find the gearing too low as in 7th gear I feel I could do more esp on downhill. Its pretty heavy if you turn off the power or have to carry it up steps etc

Summary:
In general a great bike. Does my commute very well and I am very pleased with it :) I get a good work out but still get to work without being exhausted.

Overall Rating: 10

Steve40

Just Joined
Jul 9, 2008
Emsworth Hampshire
Model: Kalkhoff Agattu 53cm diamond frame

Reviewer: Steve Pearce

Purchased From: 50 cycles

Purchase Price: £1250

Time Owned: 2 weeks

Local Terrain: Flat / Moderate Hills

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Strengths:
Strength, stability and quality of the basic bike. Very low rolling resistance. Simplicity and smoothness of the pedelec system. Good brakes, good side stand. Fast take-off from a standing start (ideal for dangerous junctions). Ability to climb any hill without undue effort.

Weaknesses:
Ridiculous bell. Lights seem not very impressive but I have yet to try them out when it is really dark. Saddle not comfortable for me. The manual on the electrics and battery is good but it should also cover general maintenance and adjustment as well.

Summary:
Brilliant machine which does everything I ever hoped an electric bike would do.

Overall Rating (out of 10) : 9.5

seagolfer

Just Joined
May 29, 2008
61cm Diamond Frame Agattu

An absolute delight to ride (especially once laughably low gearing raised). Superb quality frame and good components / ancillaries. I'm 50 next month and still pretty fit and strong, but I know this bike will serve me well for the hopefully many years until I drop... Very satisfied customer indeed.

Kemman85

Just Joined
Jul 1, 2008
Model: Kalkhoff Agattu step through frame

Reviewer: Simon

Purchased From: 50 cycles

Purchase Price: £1250

Time Owned: 8 weeks

Local Terrain: Flat / Moderate Hills

Bike arrived in perfect order from 50 cycles.

It's used daily, my wife uses it to her work a few miles away, I use it whenever I get a chance.

After about 4 weeks we had a minor problem which turned out to be a stiff chain tensioner, causing the chain to slip, as soon as that was lubricated all was well again. fitted 18 tooth rear sprocket which just brings the bike alive, redistributing the gear range so much better. Range has been all we need, only occasionally going down to one light before charging. I've taken it out into the hills and indeed it does make going up easier, but for us middle aged types, it was still quite hard work going up the steepest, though it has to be said, I have never had to get off, whereas most of the hills I'd have been walking up for sure with a normal bike.

The build quality of the bike is just brilliant, It just exudes quality. This is the first electric bike in our area, and friends and neighbours are all mightily impressed, and several are in process of considering buying for themselves. The Agattu is like viral marketing!!

We are on the point of selling a car as we've virtually displaced its use. Now that is money saving. All local shopping is by bike now (bike bin pannier - wonderful).

So all in all the Agattu is great i'd have to give it a 10/10, but as I've no experience of other electric bikes, consider this a subjective, rather than objective score.

Pedro

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 17, 2008
Reviewer: Paul Thomas

Model: Agattu Medium Cross Frame

Retailer: 50Cycles

Purchase Price: £1375

TimeOwned: 2 months

Terrain: Flattish

Strengths:
My work colleague summed it up after trying the bike "It's like a Mercedes Benz of bikes" I would have to agree that the build quality and ride is excellent. The assist system works perfectly and is practically inaudible.
I have tried it on significant hills which I would struggle in 1st (Granny) gear with a standard 18 speed bike. The Agattu took it in 5th with little effort!!

Weaknesses:
I would like to see a higher gear/s because when you get over 20mph it's difficult to add torque due to leg speed required. On a flat or slight incline I would occasionally like to crank it up to 30-40 mph but with the current gearing it would be difficult. This is a minor issue which could probably be resolved with a cog change but as my commute is only 10 miles return I do not intend to alter the default set-up.

Summary:
Great bike and so far I'm completely satisfied with it. Also, very happy with the service from 50 Cycles. It makes cycling a pleasure even when the the wind is against you!

Overall Rating: 10