Kalkhoff bikes/50 cycles

Carlt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 13, 2017
Worthing
Just joined the forum. Great resource for those of us involved in ebikes.
Seen a lot of adverse criticism against kalkhoff and 50 cycles. Had my Tasman 8 for 2 years now and haven't had a problem. Took it into 50 cycles in Shoreham and have nothing but praise for the help and advice given.
Must admit that my bike is only coming up for 300 miles! Would I have heard the infamous clacking from the impulse motor by now and can assume my bike is ok if I haven't experienced a noise?
Appreciate your views

• Informative
Reactions: Perseus

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
In due fairness it isn't really being used much so could be another 4 or 5 years before you might have an issue :oops:.
Around 2k seems to be a milestone for some of these drives.

jwm

Pedelecer
Feb 11, 2014
Hampshire
Yep, not a lot of miles, I usually do that in a week. I have been a customer of 50 Cycles in Shoreham and have been happy with their service.

John

D

Deleted member 4366

It's when things go wrong with your bike that all the problems with 50 Cycles often start. The failure window seems to be about 1500 to 2000 miles.

Carlt

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 13, 2017
Worthing
Thanks for quick reply. Does this problem affect all impulse motors, a majority or just a few?
Wondering if I should sell bike now just in case a problem develops?
Also if I had a problem out of warranty but with very little mileage, do you think 50 cycles or kalkhoff would replace the motor?
Appreciate any views

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
It's pot luck if you have an issue, quite a few though have encountered issues on the forum and some have had 2 or 3 new motors under warranty.
Out of warranty and a few years old if it went wrong then you would have to pay for a new motor and labour, though in your case with very light use the issue may not materialise.
The heavier or regular riders are seeing the problems sometimes well within the first year or even months of use.

D

Deleted member 4366

With our one 50 Cycles gave us no help at all. They said that they were no longer responsible as the sole UK importer even though the bike was most likely imported by them. They suggested that we contact Kalkhoff directly.

Trevormonty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2016
NZ
It's pot luck if you have an issue, quite a few though have encountered issues on the forum and some have had 2 or 3 new motors under warranty.
Out of warranty and a few years old if it went wrong then you would have to pay for a new motor and labour, though in your case with very light use the issue may not materialise.
The heavier or regular riders are seeing the problems sometimes well within the first year or even months of use.
To be fair it is ones with problems you hear about, riders with no problems don't say anything.

Ocsid

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2017
Hampshire
Have we any idea of the % of owners encountering issues; a few % or most?

Setting aside the two year warranty the customer protection provisions of the Consumer Rights Act 2015 one would think would make the more recent selling of Impulse motor units absolutely untenable for any retailer if indeed the picture was as grim as some seem to imply?

• Agree
Reactions: flecc
D

Deleted member 4366

To be fair it is ones with problems you hear about, riders with no problems don't say anything.
Show as an example of someone who didn't have a problem. AFAICS, all the long-standing forum members had failures. One by one, they reported that their bike was still OK, then a couple of weeks later, they were back with their tale of woe. I'd say that it's close to 100%.

Danidl

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 29, 2016
Ireland
Shouldn't ebike OEMs be doing recalls, like you get with cars and washing machines? I'm looking at you Carrera and Kalkhoff.
It would make sense for any critical safety item, and one could claim that random total loss of power might constitute a safety issue, whereas a grinding noise and lessening of power would be less of a safety issue, .. very annoying certainly