Kalkhoff Integrale 8

hillclimber

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2012
Just taken delivery of a Kalkhoff Integrale 8. As far as I can see (having started with Giant Lafree Twist in 2003 and added Kalkhoff Tasman in 2010) it is the beginning of a new era in that,hitherto, no
legal machine could haul a fat old fool like me up really steep hills.
Heaven knows what will be available in another five years.

Reactions: hopbackguy

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Just taken delivery of a Kalkhoff Integrale 8. As far as I can see (having started with Giant Lafree Twist in 2003 and added Kalkhoff Tasman in 2010) it is the beginning of a new era in that,hitherto, no
legal machine could haul a fat old fool like me up really steep hills.
Heaven knows what will be available in another five years.
A mate has recently got one.

Nice bike, I liked it, a lot.

Might suit Mike63 of this parish, if he's prepared to part with best part of £3K.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I bet they’ll be cheaper than that when the old models are sold off and the special offers begin.

John Roberts

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2015
I'm also a fat old fool looking to buy this model, with the intention of being less fat whilst having fun up all those hills. Worried that my weight would severly limit the performace of this (and maybe any) e-bike. So my question to the OP is - how fat is fat! (hint - add 12 and 5 and you get to mine).

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I tried the Impulse 11 a few months ago and it it noticeably more powerful than my Impulse 1. I think the Integrate has basically the same motor? With maybe a bit more power, or maybe not? I would expect it to take you up most hills with some leg input. It depends on how fit you are to begin with because the torque sensor motors do need pedal input from you and then multiply it.

Best to try one and maybe try a speed sensor bike too. They give all their power by just turning the pedals if you set the power level to max. A BPM type motor will get your weight up most hills without a huge amount of effort.

John Roberts

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2015
I am reasonably fit, just overweight (so get puffed out quick, but walk dogs twice a day and climb snowdon once a year).

What is a BPM type motor and any links to bikes that have them?

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
BPM (big powerful motor) is made by Bafang. The ordinary e-bike hub motor is geared and usually have 120mm diameter. Members tend to call them SWXes, the reason being that the most polular motors are SWXes made by Bafang since 2008. Maximum torque of those 120mm motors is about 45-50NM and the lightest weighs about 2.2kgs. In contrast, the BPM motor has 180mm diameter, weighs 4.7kgs and has maximum torque about 65NM. Since last year, Bafang introduced an intermediate version, SWX02, 128mm diameter, 3.3kgs weight. SWXes are good for lightweight riders and flatish roads, BPM is excellent choice for heavy riders and undulating roads. A good example of a BPM bike is the Woosh Big Bear LS. This bike can pull a 20st rider up most hills.
http://wooshbikes.co.uk/?bigbear-ls

Last edited:

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I am reasonably fit, just overweight (so get puffed out quick, but walk dogs twice a day and climb snowdon once a year).

What is a BPM type motor and any links to bikes that have them?
Your weight is no bother for a reasonable quality ebike.

A torque sensor crank drive - this Kalkhoff or one of the many Bosch bikes - will tend to get you fitter than a hub bike because the crank system encourages you to put in more effort.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
You are confusing the gears and the motor:

• The motor is in the middle, crank driven (Impulse type), and with a torque sensor: the more effort you put, the more assistance you get (proportional)
  • The mechanical bike gears (Shimano Alfine) are in the back wheel, in the hub. This replaces a standard dérailleur
Pretty much all Kalkhoff bikes now (and surely the premium ones) have a crank-driven motor

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
It has hub gears. But the TS or SS sensor is the way the motor is controlled. TS work by multiplying pedal effort and SS by just turning the pedals. Usually with a throttle for added control. TS bikes don’t have throttles.

John Roberts

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2015
Got it, so I think the Integrale is good for this. It's an expensive bike, but I think looks so good and seems to be a quality brand.

So what I've learnt today:

1) My weight is not a problem for this bike, it will propell me up the hills I want
2) It will get me fitter, my desired goal, because I have to put the effort in still, but won't be frustrated and limited by the routes I can take

I'm going to go for it I think, but wonder if I'd get a discount at this weeks bike show at NEC? I only live 20 miles away...

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
I think all the pre-allocated stock of Integrale bikes has been sold now. Therefore, it's unlikely you will get a significant discount (supply and demand). Maybe the usual £100/10% off. If you wait January/February, you would probably get a much better price (slow months, and old stock out of the way)...

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
You can but ask. Mention this forum and tell them you’ll review it. It’s a new model and hasn’t had much coverage.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Well, I did offer them to replace my fairly new Pro Connect 10 by an Integrale, instead of being bothered to repair it, but they didn't think it was an attractive offer.

50 Cycles are surely actively reading this forum...

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Got it, so I think the Integrale is good for this. It's an expensive bike, but I think looks so good and seems to be a quality brand.

So what I've learnt today:

1) My weight is not a problem for this bike, it will propell me up the hills I want
2) It will get me fitter, my desired goal, because I have to put the effort in still, but won't be frustrated and limited by the routes I can take

I'm going to go for it I think, but wonder if I'd get a discount at this weeks bike show at NEC? I only live 20 miles away...
That's about it.

The Kalkhoff is a good choice because it has a larger capacity battery than the Bosch bikes.

Handy, because you will inevitably want to ride further than you envisage now.

Ebike miles will not get you fit in the way ordinary bike miles do, so you will need to put in the distances.

Kalkhoff's UK importer, 50 Cycles, is at the bike show.

As said upthread, supply of Integrales is not plentiful but it's still worth an ask.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Yes indeed, that's why I wanted a crank-driven bike with torque sensor, as opposed to a hub driven one/electric mopped (with throttle).

I used to go cycling with my standard, non-electrical bike for 2 hours. I am now going for 4-5 hours, covering a lot more distance, and a lot more frequently (more enjoyable). I have lost probably 5kg in a couple of months. The exercise might be less intense, but it's going for much longer, and this is better for weight loss.

hillclimber

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 20, 2012
I'm 16 stone, 60, and a lifelong compost heap. But this thing means I can do the same rides I used to do
on my 4000 watt kit bike LEGALLY.

Reactions: JohnCade

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Very nice. I assume the drive belt won't need adjusting in the way a chain does?