Kalkhoff latest impulse crankdrive system

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Thought it worth a fresh thread of its own as probably a significant development in crank drive systems. we have been chatting about this new system on another thread...

Flecc said this:

I think the Impulse system is holding lots of promise, having the potential to overcome the occasional things that a few don't like about the other current systems from Bosch, Daum and Panasonic.

For once it could be the crank drive that suits almost everyone
end quote:

This impulse system has been available at shows for test rides since April this year in Germany. And on sale since mid August. A lot of threads on these bikes on German pedelec. here are some + urban biking brief review, at the end of threads are links to others etc....

Ok seems that the translated links dont work. go to site. click on "discussions" and click on Derby cycles forum. from there scroll through until you find first impulse thread and from there you will find loads of others...

Google Translate

Google Translate

Google Translate

Leichter fahren, schneller stoppen: Kalkhoff Impulse - YouTube

Google Translate

from what I have read it is potentially a better system the the often criticised "counter intuitive" Panasonic crank drive. a bit more willing but not as good as the Bosch. importantly it is cheaper, have a look at 2012 Panasonic prices! A few testers say it is noisy. choice of 11Ah or 15 Ah batteries. I just wish they had been a bit more adventurous with battery placement as I prefer the look of Bosch/Storck battery within triangle (achieving a normal wheelbase) For me it fails on looks as very traditional and German styling.Hopefully some better looking pro connect style bikes will come....

German pedelec forum have a Kalkhoff representative as a member and there contributions are very usefully and informative......

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Does this link work Google Translate
Thanks! yes it does...

the one I tried to load started with this: "I rode the Derby Cycle Impulse (price around 2000 €) for a road show"

title : "Derby Cycle Impulse"

and then loads of links at end of that thread...

Last edited:

Biged

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 7, 2010
Watnall, Nottingham
I agree with eddeio....which makes a change :), they could have put the battery in the frame, though i only think this works on the 'diamond' frame, not the step through.
I think i much prefer the look of the Bosch system, but not its shortcomings.

The battery capacities seem just right for the pedelec system, wonder whats happened to their 'new' 18ah battery?

Coaster brake? never tried one, has anyone had experience of these, they certainly don't seem popular here.

Is this the development that flecc has been keeping under his hat for some time? :rolleyes:

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Eddie and Arstu.

A bike's looks are a very personal thing of course Eddie, but I prefer the look of the Impulse equipped bikes to the Bosch equipped ones. From the outset I haven't liked the look of the Bosch "scrotum" hanging under the crank area. The line of the Impulse system looks so much neater in it's relationship with the cowling and bike. And I prefer an integrated-to-unit battery sitting behind the seatpost rather than a remote one with longer trailing connections, neater and potentially far more reliable over time.

Added to these, the smoother operation of the Impulse system will give it wide appeal and it's good that we have this choice. The Bosch system sharp cutoff at 15 mph definitely put it out of the frame for me, and the small battery doesn't help it. I don't buy the "use two batteries" argument when today's high capacity Li-polymer batteries are so light and compact as the Kalkhoff batteries show.

Kalkhoff via Derby Cycles are really going places in the e-bike world. In the latest developments, having blocked a takeover by the Accell Group, Derby Cycles are now planning a mutual partnership with the Pons company who own Gazelle, making them an even bigger combined player in Europe and internationally. The fact that they as an e-bike manufacturer have their own brand power units and batteries puts them in a unique position internationally, giving them huge design and development potential.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I think the impulse system may be a development by Daum? its hard to get to the facts sometimes with the poor auto translation...So when they talk about "thumb" they are discussing Daum on some of the impulse threads:confused:

The Bosch is lovely you need to try it...Range more then enough for me as Bosch is renowned for being an efficient system.

I am even considering a rethink and going for a ProConnect BS10 10-GXT (350 watt Bosch) for myself. when and if they are available... and moving the DaaHub kit to a stepthrough for the wife....

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I think the impulse system may be a development by Daum? its hard to get to the facts sometimes with the poor auto translation...So when they talk about "thumb" they are discussing Daum on some of the impulse threads:confused:

The Bosch is lovely you need to try it...
Definitely no Daum involvement from my understanding of the Impulse development, Daum very much a rival. "Thumb" appears to be a mistranslation of an operating word.

I don't need to try the Bosch in it's present form Eddie, I just can't stand any system that shuts off sharply at 15 mph. There have been plenty of them in the past and all have been horrible to ride where I'm concerned. I'm far from alone in that, our friends at A to B also hate that on every bike they've reviewed that's like that.

The virtual death of the Yamaha system in the market is very relevant to the Bosch. The Yamaha gave more power than the Panasonic without the latter's early phase down so it should have been a real winner. What stopped that? The widely disliked harsh operation at cutoff speed and the small 8 Ah battery. Sounds familiar?

Tor Atle Lunde

Pedelecer
Oct 5, 2011
Oslo, Norway
It is my understanding that the Bosch sharp cutoff at 15 mph is only present in "Speed 3" mode. All other modes should have a more gradual rolloff.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Thanks Scott

Any idea regards the ProConnect BS10 10-GXT ? When will it be available, or if purely a special order? plus an indication of price would be nice.

also have you tried the "Impulse compact" or sahel version, as wondering what they are like (for the wife)

Last edited:

Spinalot

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Hi

I can confirm the Kalkhoff Impulse was totally designed and developed by some very smart engineers in Derby Cycles who hold the patent for the coaster crank drive motor. A team was given the task 5 years ago to come up with a Coaster brake crank drive motor. They traveled the world taking the best from the best.
So does this mean there have been no improvments in the way the rest of the motor works? If all it is, is that they have added a back pedal break, (I personally back pedal breaks) then that is not good. I saw in another thread that 50cycles will not be importing them with this feature on, so that would mean we are going to be paying higher prices for no improvments!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
So does this mean there have been no improvments in the way the rest of the motor works? If all it is, is that they have added a back pedal break, (I personally back pedal breaks) then that is not good. I saw in another thread that 50cycles will not be importing them with this feature on, so that would mean we are going to be paying higher prices for no improvments!
Misunderstanding, this refers to the new Kalkhoff Impulse system for 2012 which does have many improvements over other makes.

All former and present models use the Panasonic unit.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Being a bit of a thicky, can I ask some idiot question?

What is an Impulse drive?

How does an Impulse drive differ from the present Panasonic drive?

Why is an Impulse drive better / worse than any bother type of drive?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
My knowledge is that it takes the best features of the others and the Panasonic unit and combines them.

It's motor drives via the chainwheel like the Bosch unit, no more small sprocket problems and less wear.

It's system allows full power at any cadence and is cunningly arranged so that low, medium or high cadence riders can have their individual prefered cadence at legal cutoff speeds.

It uses a sensitive torque sensor like the Panasonic one so operates more smoothly than the newer rivals.

It uniquely can have an integrated back-pedal brake, effective too, a first for crank drive units.

It has an additional display console showing a variety of facts, including road speed.

It uses a to-the-frame and mudguard styled battery of quite high capacity for long range as standard.

The rest will have to wait until we try it.

Last edited:

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
I suspect the term 'impulse drive' is purely a marketing term ;)

daudi

Pedelecer
Sep 24, 2011
Kent, UK
Annoyingly someone beat us to the Startrek reference in a previous thread! :p
All we need to do is engage the warp drive, travel through a worm-hole and go back in time and beat them to it. However, the thought of a bike with warp drive is a little terrifying and I'd recommend extra thick knee pads.

Last edited:

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Technically there are 4 types of chainwheel drive a la Panasonic.

1/ The crank drive. Works well but is prone to inconsistent power output and tends to be unreliable

2/ The warp drive. A clever idea but many question the use of an oval chainwheel

3/ The impulse drive. Technically ingenious but riders report a lack of urge at some points in a journey and a surfeit at others.

4/ The sex drive. Generally considered the most powerful but has a high failure rate with age.