Kalkhoff Pro-Connect 15 month report

Burnsey

Pedelecer
Oct 27, 2007
I thought it might be useful to any newbies out there who may be deciding which electric bike to buy, to write of my experiences since buying my Pro-Connect 15 months ago. It would also be nice to swap thoughts and opinions of any other Kalkhoff owner who (like myself) waited a long time to own one of these bikes.

Just for the record I am 6ft and weigh 11 stone.

Date Bought: August '08 (after a long wait!).

Mileage: 3,500 miles approx. I cycle to work most days 14 mile round trip.

Upgrades: As the lights on the bike are poor and the rear light only worked when it was sunny! I purchased a front and rear light from Halfords. The front one was a 'bikehut' rechargeable one and the rear was a 'bargain basket' one for a fiver! I needed reliable ones as I work double day shift and cycle often in the dark.

After 5 months I fitted a 18T sprocket as the gearing on the bike is very low. This made it more like a normal bike where you can pedal even when you go downhill without loosing your shoes!

I have not bought anything else for the bike (other than 2 sets of brake blocks), all parts are still original parts including tyres, (which are Schwalbe Marathon Racers).

I have had 3 punctures since starting to ride to work which is fairly lucky as my route uses tracks and paths as well as the road. The paths seem the worst with lots of glass frequently strewn across.

Battery: No problems with it, although I only do 14 miles I charge it up after every trip. I haven't noticed any deterioration in it over the 15 months (only in the winter when its very cold).

Problems: After a month of ownership the chain jumped off the cog a few times, but on advice from the forum it pointed to the chain tensioner arm needing some lubricating. Never had any bother since.

Like a few people on the forum I had to tighten the bolts on the motor.

After about 10 months I had a problem with the hub gears. When freewheeling the chain seemed as it it wanted to jump the cogs and making a very strange noise. After contacting 50cycles the wheel was replaced under the 2 year guarantee.

The solid suspension on the Pro-Connect takes a bit of getting used to, but a bit of padding in ya pants will help a lot!

Advantages: The bike is light enough to pedal without using the motor (if you are feeling healthy or the motor breaks down!).

In my experience the bike is a very reliable commuter bike which laughs at hills (and there are a few steep ones where I live). If you are wanting to substitute the car for work I reckon you couldn't get any better.

Well yes there are some savings as well:
Petrol £40 a month.
Gym fees: £20 a month.
A lot healthier lifestyle: Priceless!

Well there you go hope it helps to make your mind up. Come on Kalkhoff owners lets here from you!!

Frank

Tim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
London
Thanks Frank, I like that phrase 'laughs at hills'! I like how the Pro Connect I use 'chuckles at headwinds' and 'sniggers at traffic lights' too. Great to see the battery capacity bearing up so very well over those 15 months as well.

We had a report in from an Agattu owner over the weekend too:

AGATTU REVIEW.
I have owned my Agattu now for over a year and it has now covered well over a 1,000 miles. I am 60 years of age (almost) and I can honestly say that it has changed my life. I ride the last 5 miles to and from work everyday. The journey embraces two major hills which I could never have contemplated on a standard bike.

Two aspects of the bike are worth underlining. First you cover the ground so much faster than on a standard bike especially if there is a wind. Secondly you can use the Agattu as a form of exercise bike, I normally use quite a lot of assistance on the way to work so I don't arrive too hot and on the way home I give myself a proper work out. Cheaper than a gym and far more eco friendly.

As to the bike itself; yes it is very high quality but I have had minor problems. There was considerable creaking when pedalling which took quite lot of time to eliminate and unlike the boys at 50 cycles I would recommend th euse of expensive Gore cables. I am pretty heavy and found I was continually adjusting the brakes until I changed the cables.

The most important point however is not the bike but the service. The boys at 50cycles have always been prepared to help no matter what time of day. They are unfailingly polite and their service is simply first class; I cannot praise them too highly. They are the most important corner of the triangle. When I can afford it I will buy a Pro connect S but meanwhile I love my Agattu.

Jamie, Somerset
We have a few of these on offer at the moment, as well as the Pro Connect and Tasman in our autumn electric bike sale if anyone's keen to save 100 notes here and there

Last edited:

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Another 15 month Pro Connect report

Just for the record I am 62 years of age, 5ft 10" and weigh 12 stone.

Date Bought: July '08 (after a long wait!).

Mileage: 3,500 miles approx. I cycle to work most days 13 mile round trip.

Upgrades: Cateye opticube lights front and rear. Suspension seat post. Marathon Plus tyres. Air horn. Cycle computer - Cateye. Several different seats tried. Mirror - Cateye.

I fitted a 16T sprocket.

Battery: Replaced under warranty last Xmas. I charge it up after every trip. I haven't noticed any deterioration in it over the 10 months.

Problems:
Like a few people on the forum I had to tighten the bolts on the motor.

I noticed recently when I had the chain guard off that the chain wheel at the pedals has a few mm of sideways movement on it. I can't see how to tighten it up. Comments on this from Forum members would be appreciated.

It is a fast bike with the sprocket change but I find the ride is uncomfortable on our poor roads.

john c

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jun 30, 2008
pro connect

Hi Walkerman, I had the chainwheel cover off the other day and i can confirm that the chainwheel does have play in it and i think that this is normal John c.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The chainring cannot be tightened as such on these units. It sits on splines and is retained by a circlip in a slot, so any sideways play is fixed in place.

You can see the circlip removal on the similar older unit in this photo

and the splines it sits on in this photo (number 2), both on my Panasonic website

The only alleviation possible would be to fit a suitable thin shim behind the circlip, but I doubt it would last very long, given how thin it would have to be and the small contact area. In practice the slight "wobble" of the chainring has never given any trouble, though on one series of the older unit the slack of the spline mounted motor sprocket after long usage did cause some concern.

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Thanks for the advice.

I've also recently had an annoying noise from the rear but I think it might be the battery moving slightly in its mounting.

T Pringle

Finding my (electric) wheels
Apr 12, 2012
nice critique! i have put around 5000 miles on my proconnect now and currently in having new chain, and front and rear sprockets to try to cure annoying clacking/clicking noise upon pedaling. they assured me those parts were worn out - what do i know?!!
Also going to an 18t rear sprocket for the same reasons you said! Purchased an 18ah battery and carry my 12ah one in pannier for longer trips so have a good 50 miles on hilly terrain and probably more. Overall, bike has been just great and ride every day when otherwise i would be out only about once a week on my normal bike!

Brakes seem a bit fiddly and have replaced pads three times but otherwise good reliable and fun - to - ride bike.

Agree suspension is pretty hard - any suggestions what shock asorbing seat posts might be good anyone?

carpetbagger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 20, 2007
blackburn
i will be doing a 5000 mile review this month,assuming rain doesn't stop be completing the 73 miles still required.

Neil

Pedelecer
Mar 28, 2008
Just passed my 20,00 mile mark.

For fun here are the parts I have replaced in order of improvement.

1 Replaced back wheel (original rim snapped In half)
2 Replaced the V Brakes twice (they bind when old)
3 Use a 15 back cog and 14 motor drive cog.
4 Fit the new chain tensioner with two cogs

Other parts replaced (no real improvemt)

New motor unit (chain tensioner broke)
New front wheel with dinahub & led lights
New saddle
New handlebars
New Rack (barckets that hold lights snapped)
Mudgards (broke when rack broke)

I will get a new 24ah battery with new fast changer but my orginal(ish) battery still