Kalkhoff Pro Connect 2008 model

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008

Monty's Dad

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2014
No, they have a rim V type brake.
Thanks for the reply. I know they have rim as opposed to disc brakes. I wasn't sure about the hub function as a back pedal brake, maybe this appeared on a later production run? Or was it an optional extra.
Thanks.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Thanks for the reply. I know they have rim as opposed to disc brakes. I wasn't sure about the hub function as a back pedal brake, maybe this appeared on a later production run? Or was it an optional extra.
Thanks.
I don’t remember there being a model fitted with a coaster brake, just the cable operated rim brakes and the awful Magura hydraulic rim brakes. Then came the Pro-Connect Disc 8, Alfine 8 speed, Panasonic motor with front & rear disc brakes, probably the best ebike of all time. It’s been downhill in terms of new models since then.

Monty's Dad

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2014
I don’t remember there being a model fitted with a coaster brake, just the cable operated rim brakes and the awful Magura hydraulic rim brakes. Then came the Pro-Connect Disc 8, Alfine 8 speed, Panasonic motor with front & rear disc brakes, probably the best ebike of all time. It’s been downhill in terms of new models since then.
Thanks for the information. I am going to look at a 2008 pro connect with the Panasonic motor later today. The bike has rim brakes, but don't know what make. Will keep you posted.
I know you own or have owned the pro connect model, and rate it highly.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Thanks for the information. I am going to look at a 2008 pro connect with the Panasonic motor later today. The bike has rim brakes, but don't know what make. Will keep you posted.
I know you own or have owned the pro connect model, and rate it highly.
I've still got my Pro-Connect which is over 10 years old now & I still use it a few times per week. I think the original cable operated rim brakes are better that the Magura hydraulics which I retro fitted. Thinking about it, I don't think they ever fitted the Pro-Connect with Magura brakes, it was just the Tasman.

I have put a new set of forks (in 2012) on my bike so that I could fit a front disc brake. That coupled with rim brakes on the rear makes a good compromise.

Monty's Dad

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2014
I've still got my Pro-Connect which is over 10 years old now & I still use it a few times per week. I think the original cable operated rim brakes are better that the Magura hydraulics which I retro fitted. Thinking about it, I don't think they ever fitted the Pro-Connect with Magura brakes, it was just the Tasman.

I've still got my Pro-Connect which is over 10 years old now & I still use it a few times per

week. I think the original cable operated rim brakes are better that the Magura hydraulics which I retro fitted. Thinking about it, I don't think they ever fitted the Pro-Connect with Magura brakes, it was just the Tasman.

I have put a new set of forks (in 2012) on my bike so that I could fit a front disc brake. That coupled with rim brakes on the rear makes a good compromise.

Monty's Dad

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2014
Picked up a Kalkhoff pro connect yesterday, 05/08 production. Panasonic motor, Shimano Alfine shifters, with a red labeled Nexus hub, 8 gears. Which I understand is an Alfine hub in all but name, without the disc brake facility?
Would I be correct in assuming this is so?
Thanks.

Sandyboy

Just Joined
Jul 2, 2018
I am now the proud owner of a Kalkhoff pro connect. 8 speed, disc brakes.. However it was in poor condition due to being left neglected for some time, probably parked up for seven years. However 50% charge in the battery and full capacity! (according to the recommended test sequence). So I fix the front brakes. Buy a new rear caliper, etc. I also purchased a new (old stock) battery charger. However it does not charge the battery, the battery LEDs do not flash. I get 5v on one pin (right hand) but no proper voltage on the others. Am I doing something wrong? Is it a dodgy charging station? Any ideas?

Reactions: tillson

warmrain

Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2016
Lincolnshire
I am now the proud owner of a Kalkhoff pro connect. 8 speed, disc brakes.. However it was in poor condition due to being left neglected for some time, probably parked up for seven years. However 50% charge in the battery and full capacity! (according to the recommended test sequence). So I fix the front brakes. Buy a new rear caliper, etc. I also purchased a new (old stock) battery charger. However it does not charge the battery, the battery LEDs do not flash. I get 5v on one pin (right hand) but no proper voltage on the others. Am I doing something wrong? Is it a dodgy charging station? Any ideas?
Hello, look at this thread.
http://www.pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/kalkhoff-panasonic-charger.32259/

Good luck.

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
Great bike. Hope you sort the charging problem Those desk-top type chargers are very temperamental, so you might have a duffer. It would be handy if you could find someone with a known working device to try your battery on.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks.
The back pedal, aka coaster brake was standard on many of the continental Kalkhoff models since they are popular there, but never for the UK where they are not popular.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Picked up a Kalkhoff pro connect yesterday, 05/08 production. Panasonic motor, Shimano Alfine shifters, with a red labeled Nexus hub, 8 gears. Which I understand is an Alfine hub in all but name, without the disc brake facility?
I believe that's so. Shimano at the time claimed that Alfine is a system, not just a hub gear. They produced three 8 speed hub gears, The first was troublesome and superceded by a stronger one which was incorporated as part of the Alfine sets at the time. Then there was a third hub which finally became the Alfine set one, with the second series hub sold outside of the Alfine branding, hence the confusion.

I doubt there's much in it between the second and third hubs, but can't be sure which yours is at that date.

Kenny

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 13, 2007
West of Scotland
Although the standard pro connect had cable brakes, my 2008 S model came with Magura HS 33 hydraulic rim brakes.
Kalkhoff probably thought that the bike needed them with the increased motor assistance.

Monty's Dad

Pedelecer
Apr 26, 2014
I believe that's so. Shimano at the time claimed that Alfine is a system, not just a hub gear. They produced three 8 speed hub gears, The first was troublesome and superceded by a stronger one which was incorporated as part of the Alfine sets at the time. Then there was a third hub which finally became the Alfine set one, with the second series hub sold outside of the Alfine branding, hence the confusion.

I doubt there's much in it between the second and third hubs, but can't be sure which yours is at that date.
Many thanks for the information on the Alfine hub/system. I wasn't aware
of how they were marketed.
Mine has a continuous red line around the hub towards one side.
I've been out for a ride today, only my second outing it rides beautifully, the gear change is positive. This is my first ebike, I was originally going to buy a rear hub motor driven bike, but I am really pleased I managed to find this bike, I absolutely love it. The crank drive is a pleasure to use.
I may have to replace the what I believe to be the original 10 Ah battery at some time in the future, but up to now it seems to hold it's charge well.

Sandyboy

Just Joined
Jul 2, 2018
Great bike. Hope you sort the charging problem Those desk-top type chargers are very temperamental, so you might have a duffer. It would be handy if you could find someone with a known working device to try your battery on.
Thanks for that. The other thread has lots of useful info. I'll keep looking for a local bike (Swansea)