Kalkhoff Pro Connect Impulse 10 2015 Review

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Every e bike magazine review mentions that they cut out at that speed. Read some. Actually they mostly read about 17.3mph which is just a little bit over the real speed.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Every e bike magazine review mentions that they cut out at that speed. Read some.
Yes, I know, they cut off at 17mph displayed, I have one of those (mine only shows speed at 0.5mph increments, so would never cut off at 17.3).

Yes, many Kalkhoff bikes appear to be cutting off assistance at 17mph, speed displayed by the bike.

It's not what I was talking about. Read my post.

I believe I read most online reviews of my bike before purchasing it, and don't remember reading tests on actual speed vs. speed report by the bike. However, the trip distance reported by my bike seems to be quite different from distance measured in other ways. Who knows? This may even impact speed displayed...

Last edited:

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Yes, I know, they cut off at 17mph displayed, I have one of those (mine only shows speed at 0.5mph increments, so would never cut off at 17.3).

Yes, many Kalkhoff bikes appear to be cutting off assistance at 17mph, speed displayed by the bike.

It's not what I was talking about. Read my post.

I believe I read most online reviews of my bike before purchasing it, and don't remember reading tests on actual speed vs. speed report by the bike. However, the trip distance reported by my bike seems to be quite different from distance measured in other ways. Who knows? This may even impact speed displayed...
If you’re so concerned why don’t you do some testing yourself? There are many ways to test a tachometer and I’m sure you were taught some at school. When you have your results post them here.

As I wrote in what seems like another lifetime I have and the reading is pretty accurate.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
If you’re so concerned why don’t you do some testing yourself?
Who said I was concerned? I don't really care that the bike does not report an accurate real speed. Makes no difference to me, and it's nothing I can do about anyway.

Reseg

Finding my (electric) wheels
Dec 25, 2015
www.youtube.com
I'm sure there are more motor failures than you suspect. The majority of people ride a few hundred miles over a year or few years, which I don't consider being a commuter, cyclist, or even someone who rides a bike,more like someone who happens to *have* a bike and has been on it a few times.

It you actually use the bike for commuting, transport, exercise, whatever, it's hard to not put a few thousand miles on an ebike. Given their cost and marketing angle, I don't personally feel thousands of miles is unreasonable expectations from a more premium model.

I have the Focus Aventura Impulse S10, with the Impulse 2 motor (Kalkhoff with a different badge). It's now waiting on its 3rd motor, with <3k miles and being 10 months old. After the 2nd one failed, the same way as the 1st (sudden grinding, locking up, then free spinning motor sounds with no assist) I took it apart. There's a plastic-ish gear in it that's ripped up. I'm guessing this is the trick they found to a quieter motor with the Impulse 2 release.

Attachments

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
I'm sure there are more motor failures than you suspect. The majority of people ride a few hundred miles over a year or few years, which I don't consider being a commuter, cyclist, or even someone who rides a bike,more like someone who happens to *have* a bike and has been on it a few times.

It you actually use the bike for commuting, transport, exercise, whatever, it's hard to not put a few thousand miles on an ebike. Given their cost and marketing angle, I don't personally feel thousands of miles is unreasonable expectations from a more premium model.

I have the Focus Aventura Impulse S10, with the Impulse 2 motor (Kalkhoff with a different badge). It's now waiting on its 3rd motor, with <3k miles and being 10 months old. After the 2nd one failed, the same way as the 1st (sudden grinding, locking up, then free spinning motor sounds with no assist) I took it apart. There's a plastic-ish gear in it that's ripped up. I'm guessing this is the trick they found to a quieter motor with the Impulse 2 release.
Damn, that certainly doesn't look like a well-manufactured piece. Why anyone would choose what looks like a cheap plastic gear in a motor that handles fairly high forces is beyond me - surely it's more expensive to have to keep replacing the motor than to use better components.

Mine's now on 720 miles (3 and a half months in) and so far no problems at all... hoping it'll give me at least 2 years, since it did cost me roughly £1700.

Reactions: oriteroom

hopbackguy

Pedelecer
Jun 11, 2015
Horndean, Hampshire
Hmm yes , that ought to be metal - sounds like one of those 'I've got a cool idea' design decisions that they're no doubt now regretting! The longevity will partly I'm sure depend on how much stress you put on it while riding, so what power level and gear combinations you tend to use.. I ride my Pro Connect Impulse 10 occasionally rather than regularly every day, and I'm usually in the low or medium assist setting with gear use much like a normal bike so I'm hoping I'll get a few years out of my first motor.
Using high strength plastic parts in gearboxes isn't that unusual these days, but there are some cases where it hasn't worked as well as desired, such as a ball bearing cage in my 2012 Vauxhall Ampera which has a fairly high failure rate, the replacement part being metal!

Are we all having a fairly dull Christmas Day here, or just checking the forum during a break between meals and presents ? :)

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Mine's now on 720 miles (3 and a half months in) and so far no problems at all... hoping it'll give me at least 2 years, since it did cost me roughly £1700.
There is always the SOGA to protect you against manufacturing defects well after the initial warrantly. Given the price of those bikes, you can expect them to last at least 4-5 years, if well maintained.

Reactions: Osho

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
There is always the SOGA to protect you against manufacturing defects well after the initial warrantly. Given the price of those bikes, you can expect them to last at least 4-5 years, if well maintained.
At least 4-5 years. I was looking at the S11 seriously but these stories worrying to say the least.

oriteroom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 13, 2008
At least 4-5 years. I was looking at the S11 seriously but these stories worrying to say the least.
I'd consider your decision very seriously if it has an Impulse2 motor and you intend significant mileage (2k+ per year) rather than leave it in the shed and do the odd few mikes niw and then.

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
I'd consider your decision very seriously if it has an Impulse2 motor and you intend significant mileage (2k+ per year) rather than leave it in the shed and do the odd few mikes niw and then.

Is there anything comparable?

lowranger

Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2008
3500 mile report.

Still love the bike. However........
The symptoms of motor failure returned (clicking,knocking from motor and occasional tightening ) Also showing 'pedal' fault code on lcd display. In addition the charger wouldn't work when plugging directly in the battery rather than the docking base. Another motor has been fitted under warranty along with a new charger, gear cable, software reset and chainwheel. I have absolutely no hesitation in recommending 50cycles but hesitate to recommend the impulse 2 motor. It is clearly weak and not up to covering any sort of mileage, a 'quality' bike such as this should be capable of covering many thousands of miles without major mechanical failure. Or have I just been unlucky? Previous posts on the subject would suggest not?

Are there any readers on here who have covered 3k miles + on impulse 2 without issue to counter this report?

Reactions: git-r

John5001

Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2014
Looked on a German website that seems to suggest similar issues. One guy did take the motor apart and stated the motor would have to be changed.

Not sure his status re warrantee though.
I am looking at Evo but expensive. Trying to justify as this is a big part of my life now, maybe use their finance options.

st1vo

Pedelecer
Mar 19, 2013

Was it easy to take to bits?
I just bought a used kalkhoff agattu with the impulse 2.0, so no warranty..
No problems yet but if they arise I guess I'll be fixing it myself!!

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
No problems yet but if they arise I guess I'll be fixing it myself!!
Even if you can open up the motor, and find some stripped plastic gears inside (as it seems to be the common issue), I don't think you will be able to procure the replacement parts anyway. Kalkhoff does not sell those (nor sells the full motor unit to individuals either).

Last edited:

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
1000 MILE REPORT

Just made it over the 1,000 mile mark on my Kalkhoff Pro Connect Impulse 9.

The bike continues to run and hasn't needed any maintenance (beyond cleaning) thus far.

Everything feels fine with one exception - I am experiencing occasional (every couple of miles) 'clicking' noises from what seems to be the motor (though difficult to know with 100% certainty as it happens while cycling and my attention is on the road).

It isn't loud. It'll happen once then be fine for a while, then happen again. I can feel SOMETHING from the pedals when it happens. It doesn't feel like chain slip. Don't know exactly.

No idea what it is, but wondering if this will develop into what others are reporting here. I guess time will tell.

The bike is now approaching 5 months old. While not in use, I keep it in a shed. I also clean it as best I can every few weeks. My journey into work has a few fairly steep gradients, and a few slightly bumpy parts, but overall I'd say it's average for a journey of that length (7.7 miles to work and back so 15 and a bit mile round trip, 4 times a week).

Still hoping it'll give me at least a couple of years with minimal hassle, but my hunch at the moment is that I won't reach 2,000 with the same motor. Anyway, hope to be proven wrong.

Tomtomato

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 28, 2015
Everything feels fine with one exception - I am experiencing occasional (every couple of miles) 'clicking' noises from what seems to be the motor (though difficult to know with 100% certainty as it happens while cycling and my attention is on the road)
Sounds like very similar to the issue I had (resulting to a motor change).

1) Does the noise stop when you cut the motor off (moving to zero assistance through the assistance controller)

2) Does the noise stop when you pedal in reverse ("positioning" the chain properly again within the motor)

3) Do you feel some vibrations through the pedals?

For me, it started as an occasional clicking under high assistance, but then progressed to a more frequent clicking/clacking noise, even under light assistance. Motor was replaced, and noise has not reappeared once so far, after around 500 miles.

Will Tinker

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2015
Sounds like very similar to the issue I had (resulting to a motor change).

1) Does the noise stop when you cut the motor off (moving to zero assistance through the assistance controller)

2) Does the noise stop when you pedal in reverse ("positioning" the chain properly again within the motor)

3) Do you feel some vibrations through the pedals?

For me, it started as an occasional clicking under high assistance, but then progressed to a more frequent clicking/clacking noise, even under light assistance. Motor was replaced, and noise has not reappeared once so far, after around 500 miles.
1) I haven't tried this, but will have a go over the weekend
2) The noise is so infrequent at the moment, I could probably do this for ages and find nothing... not sure if that'll narrow it down, though! Think I need to wait until it gets more regular (assuming it will).
3) Yes, a little. A single vibration with the click. Just strong enough to feel it. Feels about 25% as strong as a chain slip on a normal bike, similar duration.