Kalkhoff Sahel Premium i360 Harmony

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi ....I'm looking to buy a new bike, I understand that at 3,600 miles in a year my mileage is quite heavy so I need something that'll stand up to it.

Being only 5'6" I need a smaller frame, 50 cycles have very few small size within my budget.
I'm going to look at/try out a Kalkhoff Sahel Premium i360 Harmony at 50 cycles.
Unfortunately this bike has a rigid front fork and my experience with this type of fork is that I will feel every bump and distortion in the road.

Has anyone got an electric bike with a fixed front fork...what are your views on it ?
....any advice or comments greatly appreciated.

.....many thanks....Mike

halfer

Esteemed Pedelecer
I really prefer (MTB) frames with suspended front forks - even in lockout mode they have some bounce. I'd expect a road bike with no suspension to be a bone-shaker, but you might go a bit faster on it.

It looks like a nice bike, though the weight stats (22-25kg) don't make it seem like they've saved any weight by fitting rigid forks.

I've no experience of them, but maybe a suspension seat post might help? The skinny saddle in the picture looks like it needs replacing anyway ;).

tillson

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 29, 2008
I've got a a Pro Connect which has fixed forks. The ride can be harsh, especially with the tyres inflated to max psi.

If it's a comfortable ride you are after, I suspect that you may be disappointed with the bike. On the plus side, it should cope well with your intended mileage.

Just a thought, Schwalbe Big Apple tyres, if they fit, will give the bike suspension. I use them on my MTB and I can't recommend them enough for comfort.

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
The skinny saddle in the picture looks like it needs replacing anyway ;)
cheers for that halfer...certainly a given but easily rectified :)

If I weren't happy do you think I could replace the fork almost as easily ?

....Mike

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Just a thought, Schwalbe Big Apple tyres, if they fit, will give the bike suspension. I use them on my MTB and I can't recommend them enough for comfort.
thanks tillson these tyres are fitted as standard.

....Mike

oldtom

Esteemed Pedelecer
Has anyone got an electric bike with a fixed front fork...what are your views on it ?
....any advice or comments greatly appreciated.

.....many thanks....Mike
Mike, my Cannondale with Cytronex kit aboard is a solid fork EAPC and when I first rode it after having become accustomed to the lovely sprung comfort of a Dutch EAPC, it came as something of a shock.

I soon got used to it and it's actually a very sporty bike, compared to some other aluminium frame machines. Cannondale seem to know a thing or two about metallurgy and they have managed to engineer out quite a bit of the harshness from their frames.

My latest acquisition, a Kalkhoff PC with Xion drive is a nicely sprung machine but after the directness of the Cannondale, it felt just a bit too soft at times. After some experimentation with the pre-load adjustment, I screwed it up till the fork was almost solid and the bike suddenly felt more direct and sporty in attitude. I rode it for a few months like that until recently, after riding the Cannondale again, I decided to try locking out the Verso fork on the PC. Because I already had the adjustment so firm, I hardly noticed the difference so I'm keeping it locked out except for those occasions I venture on to terrain where I think the bike (and me) would benefit from a little cushioning.

The supplied suspended seat does take the edge off any harshness and the Schwalbe MP tyres help too, even at 85psi.

If you are used to a sprung fork, a solid fork does take a little getting used to but an adjustable fork with lock-out really solves the problem for normal road/towpath and the like usage. For any of the extreme bike pastimes, well, they are a different kettle of fish and expensive pneumatic suspension forks might be justified there, perhaps even essential.

Tom

Reactions: Mike63

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon
thanks tillson these tyres are fitted as standard.

....Mike
I have 3 bikes without, and one with suspension forks. I prefer without.

In my opinion, big apples are better than suspension from a comfort point of view.

Perhaps things are different off road. I wouldn't know.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
I would have said a suspension fork was redundant for road use too at one time. Even if aluminum forks don't have any spring in them like steel forks do, I didn't ever feel the need for them on my road bikes, or really think the suspension on the MB I had a few years ago here was really needed on the lanes where I used it.

But the roads are in such a state around here now from the rain and flooding last winter that some are corrugated like washboards, and test even good suspension forks. So it depends where you live really.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
The front end of my AVE MH7 is surprisingly compliant - rigid forks and 20" Big Apples.

The bigger Big Apples on the Sahel could make for a comfortable but still direct front end, particularly if there is a bit of spring in the forks.

As regards the weight, that taken off by the rigid forks will have been put back on by the NuVinci hub, which is a lump, and the electronic changing mechanism.

The bike also has a 15ah battery.

Overall, the weight's not too bad for an ebike, but it could be tail heavy.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I agree with most of the above. I regularly ride the Sahel Compact with Big Apple tyres and find that it is just as good as bikes with suspension forks. In fact I prefer it (I also ride many other bikes most of which have suspension forks). From my brief experience of riding one, the tyres on the Sahel Premium Harmony do a similarly good job.

kiwibloke

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 18, 2014
Have only had my Sahel i360 for a 6 months but the solid forks gave me a bit of a shock at first on the rough roads round here, but soon 'forgot' about it. Had an e-bike with suspension forks before this one, and never noticed they contributed that much better going over ruts and holes either. Still had to concentrate to pass safely. Big tyres definitely help. you mostly on-road or off?

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi everyone...many thanks for your input...most informative.
....nice to know someone else has a Harmony.
Anyone with a budget of less than 1K I would strongly recommend a Woosh, esp. a crank drive, I don't think I'd ever consider another hub drive.

For the past year I have been riding a Woosh Sirocco CD and I found it to be excellent overall, ...not much bother with it in 3,600 miles, very tempted to get another, still might if this Kalkhoff doesn't measure up.
...looking to try one this week.
I try to keep off the main roads but difficult round here, very few bike paths and trails in my neck of the woods.
....cheers....Mike

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
As someone who sold a Woosh Sport CD to buy a Kalkhoff I'd say you might find it harder work if you're commuting. The Woosh would basically do all the work except on steeper hills, where the Kalkhoff comes into its own. I wanted a bit more exercise that the Woosh was giving me but they do go fast fairly effortlessly. Particularly if the cut out speed is tickled up a little bit.

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
The mode on the Kalkhoff can be changed to "Sport" by using a service unit black box available from 50Cycles (I also have one). This increases the assist level across the board.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Mine is an early 2013 Impulse I which was reprogrammed to Sport by 50 Cycles when it was bought. It's still nothing like as willing on the flat as the Woosh though. The Impulse 11 might be a lot more powerful though...

Mike63

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 23, 2008
Hi again....I was a tad disappointed reading JohnCade's message re. performance. I was quite hoping the Kalkhoff would be the equal of the Woosh which suited me fine.
I found that using the Woosh in 3 or 4 assist a very enjoyable ride, even biking for 30 miles, with assist 5 being a little too easy.

I thought that after riding the Woosh all these months....3,600 miles in 10 months.... and finding it so easy I had got a bit fitter.( I'm 75) but with the Woosh gone and me reduced to riding my unpowered mountain bike, I realize this is not the case, I cannot do it, It is like riding through treacle :) and after just 100 yards my knees started creaking.

I'm not bothered about hills...the Woosh went up 'em and I'm sure the Kalkhoff will too but if the Kalkhoff won't give me an easy and enjoyable ride then life will really be s**t.

If Mr Cade would be kind enough to elaborate a little or anyone else add any helpful comments It'd be appreciated.
I'm not sure a half hour tootle round Loughborough is 'gonna cut it.

many thanks....Mike

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I would recommend a conversion with the 18A BBS01.
This is a sizeable step up from the Woosh CD.
PAS and throttle, more power, similar to the Big Bear, same range 15AH battery.
On top of that, you can choose a good mechanical bike with hydraulic brakes.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
Sorry if I put you off. I bought a Woosh and I enjoyed the way it went fairly effortlessly. Particularly in max assist. If you change up on the flat or a not too steep hill you find it just goes faster without having to put more effort in. It's only on steep hills that you need to put in any power to help it.

I thought I was getting my bike fitness back after not riding for half a decade. But though it was great fun carrying my speed up hills and standing on the pedals in a high gear, it was the bike really not me. But going from a speed sensor to a torque sensor showed that I wasn't very bike fit yet at all; and buying an e bike was mainly about getting fit again for me. It wasn't practicable anymore for me to use a normal bike where I live, with many steep hills which were hard going when I was bike fit and a bit younger.

So it comes down to a divide which shows up here quite a lot. Between enjoying the bike and letting it do the work like a small assisted moped. Or having a bike which rides more like a normal one where you have to work a bit harder to get the bike to give you its power.

It might be a good idea to try a TS bike before you buy to see it you still want to put the pedal effort in.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
I too would like to keep my cycling legs as long as possible. I found all the Woosh bikes too willing, except for the TS. The new 18A BBS01 seems to be just the right solution, the PAS demands that you push on the pedal, not just rotate it. I can cycle happily at 19mph on the flat against light headwinds keeping my heart rate about 90-100 bpm and there is still the throttle if you need more speed or want to rest your legs. This is the first time that I find a motor programmed exactly how I like it.

jackhandy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 20, 2012
the Cornish Alps
Over & over & over again, we have posts claiming a speed- based pas system will not improve fitness - Balderdash!

There's a pair of buttons/arrows on the handlebar console which are operated by something called willpower:
On those days I'm feeling a bit jaded I select level 3, which gives me assistance up to about 16mph, which is normally quick enough for a relaxed cruise on the rare flat bits around here. When I want to go a bit quicker I put in a bit of effort & see what happens.
On the days I'm feeling like stretching the lungs a bit, I select level 2, which assists up to about 12mph & put in the rest of the effort myself, or just chill & enjoy the scenery.

Over the 10 months I've had the bike, my riding style has evolved such that I set off in level 2 & keep it there until I encounter a significant hill which causes me to strain a bit in 6th gear; I select level 3 & change down appropriately:
Reaching the crest (and this is the important bit) I revert to level 2 & clang up through the gears.

Maintaining a heartrate of 100bpm is never going to improve anyone's fitness - I aim to keep between 100 - 140, thereby not straining anything, but breathing quite hard on occasion.

Levels 4&5 are pretty much redundant, as I really only need maximum assist on steep hills, which I generally climb slower than 16mph, anyway.