Kalkhoff Sahel Pro C - sprocet

Pedal Anton

Finding my (electric) wheels
Mar 19, 2011
Bærums Verk, Norway
1. Has today changed the rear sprocket from 18t to 16T. But it looks like the chain drag a bit until the dust jacket. Barely noticeable, but still? The bike is certainly better suited to my pedaling speed. Others with experience with this type of bike/sprockets?

2. Got the bike with the "new" panel type, witch is standard from 2011, and I think this is the same panel as mounted on the Kalkhoff "fast e-bike series". The documentation from the bikeshop was on the old type...:mad: I would like to have the manual/dokumentation on this new panel. Can anybody help me with this?

DSC_5892.jpg

RussJ

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2011
I've swopped my rear sprocket for a 16t version on my Pro Connect disc 8 - was fitted with 19t.
Much reduced pedalling speeds but hard work in the top gears for my old legs!
Top gear is now best on the flat or slight downhill.
Might go back to 17t or 18t.
Russ

iaing

Pedelecer
May 27, 2008
L31
1. Has today changed the rear sprocket from 18t to 16T. But it looks like the chain drag a bit until the dust jacket. Barely noticeable, but still? The bike is certainly better suited to my pedaling speed. Others with experience with this type of bike/sprockets?

2. Got the bike with the "new" panel type, witch is standard from 2011, and I think this is the same panel as mounted on the Kalkhoff "fast e-bike series". The documentation from the bikeshop was on the old type...:mad: I would like to have the manual/dokumentation on this new panel. Can anybody help me with this?

View attachment 2144
Your chain is now slightly too long, one or two links will need to be removed.

Iain

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
I've swopped my rear sprocket for a 16t version on my Pro Connect disc 8 - was fitted with 19t.
Much reduced pedalling speeds but hard work in the top gears for my old legs!
Top gear is now best on the flat or slight downhill.
Might go back to 17t or 18t.
Russ
Hi Russ
How many links did you remove from the chain when you did this?
I am getting a new/replacement Pro c Monday and thought I might swap the Sprocket Monday evening and see how it goes.

WALKERMAN

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2008
Hi Russ
I am getting a new/replacement Pro c Monday and thought I might swap the Sprocket Monday evening and see how it goes.
50C did this for me for free on my new PC Disc.
Ask them to change it for you.

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
Thanks but i am getting mine here in Dublin not from 50C.
Since they will have the bike over the weekend when I wont have time to collect I asked them how much to do this figuring it would be an amount similar to the 15 euro my local bike shop quoted me (excl sprocket) but they asked for 75 (excl sprocket). Since I will have been without my bike for over a week I dont really feel like leaving it into my local bike shop for a day or two next week - and from looking online it looks a relatively simple procedure, I have decided to just do it myself

RussJ

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2011
Hi Russ
I took out one inner plus two outers (does that equate to 1 link?).
Swopping over the sprocket is easy although getting the snap ring back on can be a challenge!
Have a look on Youtube for a video demo of how to do this - a picture is worth a thousand words etc...
41t chainring plus 16t sprocket is a very high geared bike (at least for my old legs). If you have significant hills it might be too much and an 18t more suitable?
Russ

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
I dont know how chain links are described but one inner and two outers sounds like what would be 3 links to me?

blather

Pedelecer
Feb 8, 2011
I took out one inner plus two outers (does that equate to 1 link?).
Actually I am a little confused by this. If you removed 2 outer and 1 inner wouldn't that mean that you are then left with 2 inners connecting together?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually I am a little confused by this. If you removed 2 outer and 1 inner wouldn't that mean that you are then left with 2 inners connecting together?
That is one link, in this case leaving two receiving rivet holes. That's usually when a removable chain link is used to join the chain, like the ones described on this webpage.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
This diagram illustrates a detachable link better, the spring outer part held by snipe nose pliers here:

RussJ

Pedelecer
Mar 11, 2011
Its difficult to describe but more obvious when you look at the chain.
I punched one rivet almost through leaving it clear of the inner but fixed in the outer piece and split the chain by wiggling the inner part free - the two side pieces forming the female fitting. Next I took the male end, counted back two rivets and punched this one right through so revealing an inner part - ie the next available male fitting.
Rejoin the newly exposed male end to the female bit by pushing the rivet back again and you've shortened the chain by one link.
Hope this is a bit clearer now...
Russ