kalkoff with throttle....

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm still puzzled by the very different accounts of the speed available from the throttle .

Tim, you did say that yours can take you along at 11-12mph -is this going downhill?:D Sorry, that wasn't meant to be cheeky,I'm just puzzled and genuinely interested to know what speed could be expected as most folk seem to feel the throttle is only of any use for walking alongside , which I accept is in itself useful but not in the way I'm interested in. Your further input would be appreciated, thanks
The explanation is that the throttle is an option which when added to the standard unit only gives 6 kph and is minimal power sinvce the torque sensor isn't receiving any pedal pressure.

When the same throttle is fitted to the speed enhanced S models, the same kit gives around 11 to 12.5 mph, depending on the gearset fitted.

In other words, the extra speed is an accidental byproduct of fitting the walk alongside throttle to a much faster power unit. It's still very low powered unless you pedal at the same time though, so it has limited usefulness.

Last edited:

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
I'm still not completely clear on this Flecc, sorry,I wonder if you could clarify for me. Tim's post says that the throttle will propel the bike up to about 11-12mph "without pedalling" -would that be right? If so that would do me fine as I don't use the throttle a lot but I would hate not to be able to use it if I wanted to.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It will do that after a fashion, but don't expect it to be anything like a normal throttle bike. As several of us have said, the throttle has got very little power, one remarking "not enough power to pull the skin off a rice pudding".

So I wouldn't want you to end up disappointed. Tim sells them of course, but the only way you'll tell if it's enough for you is to try one at Loughborough or London.

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
That was my comment and I stand by what I said :) TylerD, if you are expecting to be able to ride the bike like a hub powered bike with a throttle that gets you moving from stationary or up an incline without pedal assistance the "throttle" on the Kalkhoff is not it...

allen-uk

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 1, 2010
Flecc is right, Tyler. Go ride one, it's the only way.

They do run a 'ride another customer's bike' scheme (see their website) which is very useful if you're miles from Loughborough/SW London - another Kalkhoff owner lets you loose on his/her machine for half an hour, which can be extremely useful.

(And do bear in mind that while he's a lovely bloke and dedicated to the 'cause' of ebiking, as Flecc points out, Tim does run a shop which largely sells Kalkoffs).

A

TylerD

Pedelecer
Jul 8, 2010
Thanks , as always, for the advice Flecc. My neighbour actually has a Pro Connect (which he bought about a week after seeing me for the 1st time on my Wisper , asking for a shot , and coming back with a big grin on his face!) but it doesn't have the throttle.There was mention recently of a Kalkhof dealership opening up here in Scotland so I'll keep an eye open for that