KTM Corner

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I

But yes we're working to constantly improve, and in most case - yes... KTM ship to a dealer within 48 hours. We use UPS so its a 48hr service from Austria to the shop.
I'm pleased to hear that.

As regards KTM not being able to carry all the spares, I reckon if me and thee were given free reign in the factory we'd be able to find something to sort almost any breakage on almost any bike, let alone a KTM one.

I'm not saying every customer should automatically be given a replacement.

But I am saying the bits should be available to buy.

If nothing else it gives you/the dealer a last resort with the customer: "We may not be able to agree on warranty, sir, but the part can be purchased and fitted within 48 hours."

When my Shimano Alfine 11 hub went back to Shimano, there was no way I was going to wait months.

Either fix/replace it on warranty - thanks - or fix/replace it and I will pay for it, but whatever you do, do it in a reasonable time.

I'm not saying every customer should automatically be given a replacement.

But I am saying the bits should be available to buy.

If nothing else it gives you/the dealer a last resort with the customer: "We may not be able to agree on warranty, sir, but the part can be purchased and fitted within 48 hours."

When my Shimano Alfine 11 hub went back to Shimano, there was no way I was going to wait months.

Either fix/replace it on warranty - thanks - or fix/replace it and I will pay for it, but whatever you do, do it in a reasonable time.
agreed... but generally the problem is the parts simply aren't there... who's going to pay for it... ie purchase or repair replace under warranty, isn't normally the reason for the delay.

I know someone who had to wait ages for a Shimano Nexus hub - not a KTM problem, but even Shimano via their distributor Madison, one of the biggest companies in UK cycle distribution doesn't have stock of everything at all times.

Col, I realise that this is a long shot, but would you happen to know what make of stand is supporting the drop dead gorgeous bike?
My current stand is fine, but this one looks ten times stronger.

Its not something I recognise Eddie... but it does look like a quality bit of kit. the dealer is Gear4 in Peterborough, so it might be worth giving them a ring.... they'll probably sell them.

http://www.gear4motorcycles.co.uk/?i=68913&

don't spend to long on their website though.... its one of dealers I can't visit because I end up spending more than we make selling them bikes :)

Reactions: EddiePJ

trev

Finding my (electric) wheels
Sep 19, 2012
Thanks for the rapid response Tom and Col. I appreciate your wanting to help, but in the 7 weeks since this was raised, someone could just about have walked from Austria with the hub. I'm wondering if it'd be quicker if I drop in on the factory next time I'm in the area - I'm sure they must have one or two knocking about over there.

Thanks for the rapid response Tom and Col. I appreciate your wanting to help, but in the 7 weeks since this was raised, someone could just about have walked from Austria with the hub. I'm wondering if it'd be quicker if I drop in on the factory next time I'm in the area - I'm sure they must have one or two knocking about over there.
Yes, sorry Trev... part of the delay has been a communication break down... we thought KTM had picked up the hub and had it in Austria, and were servicing it / fixing it, so we left it with them. It was only a few weeks later that the dealer you dropped it off with contacted us to say it was still with him. Which isn't ideal, so we're looking at pushing for a new hub rather than fixing yours, but they really need to see whats caused the problem. I've been on the phone to them again today chasing this and a couple of other warranty issues, so hopefully will have news for you within 48hours. I will update you asap.

Col.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
rather spookily, I was just looking at this bike of the KTM Italy facebook page, and its the same stand! Still can't quite see the brand name though.

But its a good excuse to post another pic of a pretty bike :)

WOW!! :)

I don't do the lottery, but if I did, and won it, that would be two more bikes to add to the stable.
They might have to follow the Canic CXC that I long to both try out and own though :)

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
rather spookily, I was just looking at this bike of the KTM Italy facebook page, and its the same stand! Still can't quite see the brand name though.

But its a good excuse to post another pic of a pretty bike :)

Nice looking bike in every respect except the forks.

They look crummy and kill the overall look.

To coin the phrase: "Nice legs, shame about the boat race."

Nice looking bike in every respect except the forks.

They look crummy and kill the overall look.

To coin the phrase: "Nice legs, shame about the boat race."
yeah, its a "relatively" cheap build that one, with SLX etc all over it. The forks give away the price more than the other bits.

the same frame built with high end stuff (XTR Di2) comes in at £5k rrp... and looks very very nice.

So nice, I've got one coming for myself and I can't wait :)

Reactions: RobF and EddiePJ

trev

Sep 19, 2012
Yes, sorry Trev... part of the delay has been a communication break down... we thought KTM had picked up the hub and had it in Austria, and were servicing it / fixing it, so we left it with them. It was only a few weeks later that the dealer you dropped it off with contacted us to say it was still with him. Which isn't ideal, so we're looking at pushing for a new hub rather than fixing yours, but they really need to see whats caused the problem. I've been on the phone to them again today chasing this and a couple of other warranty issues, so hopefully will have news for you within 48hours. I will update you asap.

Col.
Thanks Col, much appreciated. I can confirm, the hub is definitely physically kaput - complete with shards of metal coming out of it, won't turn - the dealer said you'd mentioned a software update - I promise you that ain't gonna fix it!

I'm hoping to do the south downs way this side of Christmas on it, what do you think are my chances?

All the best.

T

I've just checked in, and yes it appears. KTM thought it was the age of your hub and a software update that would sort it, because the older ones had a small problem with over heating which was fixed with the update.

However if hub as bits of metal floating about its more likely a collapsed bearing or a broken axle, something mechanical.

We did email you about this already this morning... so check your email, just so you don't think we're only responding because of this post ;)

There is a new wheel on its way to the dealer, so we hope they'd have it next week at some point.

Its a black hub, not an orange one I'm afraid but thats what we emailed you about.

Regards
Col

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Look what's arrived. :)

Courtesy of the Amazon link provided by SRS, and bought from BestToyStore for £19.98 delivered.

Plus points... Very quick and easy to use, and the bike remains stable when in use.

Minus points... The welds on mine are not straight and the vertical tube isn't, so there is a slight tendency for the bike to sit in it slightly off level. I'll alter that at some stage.
Second minus point was the poor packaging from the supplier. The box arrived completely open, due to only one narrow strip of packaging tape being used. The two assembly screws had fallen out.

Still a brilliant stand and worth every penny simply because of the plus points. I'd thoroughly recommend one.

Last edited:

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
Look what's arrived. :)

Courtesy of the Amazon link provided by SRS., and bought from BestToyStore for £19.98 delivered.

Plus points... Very quick and easy to use, and the bike remains stable when in use.

Minus points... The welds on mine are not straight and the vertical tube isn't, so there is a slight tendency for the bike to sit in it slightly off level. I'll alter that at some stage.
Second minus point was the poor packaging from the supplier. The box arrived completely open, due to only one narrow strip of packaging tape being used. The two assembly screws had fallen out.

Still a brilliant stand and worth every penny simply because of the plus points. I'd thoroughly recommend one.
I bought a couple myself, think from the same place.

Never even considered one until I saw you use one at the Purbeck ride.
Light weight and props the bike up a treat. Great idea.

Reactions: EddiePJ

trev

Sep 19, 2012
I've just checked in, and yes it appears. KTM thought it was the age of your hub and a software update that would sort it, because the older ones had a small problem with over heating which was fixed with the update.

However if hub as bits of metal floating about its more likely a collapsed bearing or a broken axle, something mechanical.

We did email you about this already this morning... so check your email, just so you don't think we're only responding because of this post ;)

There is a new wheel on its way to the dealer, so we hope they'd have it next week at some point.

Its a black hub, not an orange one I'm afraid but thats what we emailed you about.

Regards
Col
Hi Col, I've not received any emails from you, so not sure if you've the correct email address for me. No sign of the wheel arriving at the dealer yet - is it on its way? I'll email as well so you have my correct email address.

Cheers,

Terry

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Both bikes were out for a play yesterday when my brother-in-law popped up from Wales.
He didn't take much persuading to take the e-mtb, and returned from the ride all set to go back to Wales to research and order up a KTM e-mtb. :)
It was a really good fun ride, and of course being Xmas had the obligatory pub stop along the way.
I really love riding the pedal only Ultra 1964, and despite the climbs, didn't miss not riding the e-mtb. The Ultra is slightly too small me, and I'm already now thinking of selling it in order to get a larger frame size, or an even a lighter bike.
The ride was a good mix of very wet and muddy off road, with some road sections thrown in between and this was were the obvious weight advantage on the Ultra came into it's own, and I was gone. I love that bike. :)
The bro-in-law had to go and fall in the biggest softest boggy black ground that I have ever seen. I had the sense to ride around it, but he ignored both my advice about gear selection and power settings, and managed to run out of steam, and just fell off sideways. I would have loved to have taken a photo of the scene, but there was no way that I was going back through it. In my short time of ownership of the e-mtb, I haven't seen it that soiled. :D
It's an odd feeling letting someone else kind of demo your own bike off road. It's not a totally comfortable experience, and I found that I was very conscious of every off road line that was taken, every gear change, and even the power settings.
Someone else is coming round at the end of this week in order to try it, as they are intending to get rid of their Trek road based e-bike, and buy an e-mtb. With any luck that will result in another potential sale, and at the very least, it will provide interesting feed back. But once again, I bet that I end up riding along side, as some kind of back seat driver.

We went to get back on the bikes after this first photo shot, only to discover that the Macina had a front puncture. My heart sank, knowing that it took three of us to change the tyre the last time, along with three sets of good quality tyre levers, which bent double. Oddly, the tyre nearly fell of this time, and was back in seconds. I guess that the Kevlar bead had just been too stiff as new, and had now thankfully settled.
Whilst fixing the puncture, we also had a very negative comment about the e-mtb. A guy who must have been at least 80yrs old, came up aggressively and said "is that one of those German cheating bikes. I was about to correct him, when he called across to his wife, "look Doris, the Bosch has broken down" He then marched over to his car, started it, and tore off up the road slipping his clutch a she went. I got the impression that he liked neither e-bikes, or Germans. I can't blame him on the second, but having a German Mother-in-law, I can get away with that one. ;):D

Winnie the Pooh territory, with the clump and Pooh bridge.

The bikes actually look cleaner than they were, but for once, I returned spotless and clean. My Brother-in law on the other hand, wasn't so lucky!! :D

edit... TinKitten over to you for a KTM dealer in your neck of the woods? :)

Last edited:

Advertisers