KTM Cross Macina (Bosch) arrives...

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
I have pedalled my Haibike above the assist limit on a few occasions, mainly to keep up with Roadies on the flat. I can sustain 18-20mph on the flat with no noticeable drag, I can sustain this amount of effort just like riding a normal bike, but taking it above 20mph for any length of time (10 mins) becomes tiring, but then it is a 20Kg mountain bike with nobblies on!

Downhill I've reached 35-40mph, can't seem to get it faster, but then it is a 20Kg mountain bike with nobblies on, I doubt 50mph is achievable unless you have a nice long and steep downhill with a following wind.

There are not many on here with fast ebikes probably because most ebikes are not optimised for speed, Cytronex is the only one I know of that is the most like an unpowered road bike possibly the e-motion crank drive sport carbon being another?!?

Last edited:

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Nice write-up, but a bit confusing about the range and total mileage traveled. On my mountain bike routes I have been getting approx 25 miles which is a fair (3-4 hours riding) and tiring distance for mountain bike routes.

What distance have you been getting on the KTM eddie ?

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Nice write-up, but a bit confusing about the range and total mileage traveled. On my mountain bike routes I have been getting approx 25 miles which is a fair (3-4 hours riding) and tiring distance for mountain bike routes.

What distance have you been getting on the KTM eddie ?
I'm not sure really but I think about 25 - 30 seems about right...That is on full assist. many getting aound 50 Km with more respect for system and a little more input I guess. But I have now changed my attitude towards batteries and to me lightness more important then range. the DaaHub is about 25 miles as well so both bikes well matched.

I rarely ride more then 10 -15 miles anyway

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
Powerful, hub-driven bikes which can master the steepest hills with little or no need to pedal may have a place but ultimately, cannot be regarded as bicycles. They are, for want of a better description, mopeds but without an internal combustion engine. It never surprises me that the "boy-racer" element within the forum rave about the really, really fast, (and invariably illegal) hub-driven bikes cobbled together by blokes working in sheds.
However I think it's important that we all acknowledge that ebikes that can climb the steepest hills without assistance are an important part of the solution to the effects of car emissions on the climate. A mode of transport that puts more effort in to transporting its cargo than itself is such a rarity today and given the growing scarcity of energy we can ill afford to ignore it. If we can get the message across that going to the shops for our groceries on an ebike can be accomplished with no more effort than taking the car it would have a great positive effect. People are far more likely to switch to a more friendly "safe and slow" ebike than a "dangerous and fast" moped/motor bike.

It's all well and good pandering to the feel good, keep it real, cyclists. But let's keep things in perspective and not get our priorities wrong.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Apr 19, 2011
Eddieo we now have the full kit to diagnose and update Bosch system (long time coming, but then again we've not needed it). If you or anyone else would like to switch from KMH to MPH let me know and we'll divert one of our onsite service vehicles to you.

James

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008

mahaca1

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2008
Madrid, Spain
Yes but with a £5000 + price tag.....

here is a review of a Haibike (exactly the same system as mine, better spec bike, £1000 more) skip intro and go to "Ride" and see what they think!
Are we sure that Haibike and KTM are equal?

In this forum there is a discussion about the diferences between having a derailleur or a shimano hub in the bike.

Google Translate

I was going to buy a Ktm macina cross until I read about this issue. In fact here in Madrid there is a dealer that has a KTM macina cross for only 1600 €.

Is it possilble that Bosch reduces the engine power in hub gear bikes?

Best regards

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Are we sure that Haibike and KTM are equal?
In this forum there is a discussion about the differences between having a derailleur or a Shimano hub in the bike.
Google Translate
I was going to buy a KTM Macina cross until I read about this issue. In fact here in Madrid there is a dealer that has a KTM Macina cross for only 1600 €.

Is it possible that Bosch reduces the engine power in hub gear bikes?
Best regards
I have never read that they reduce the power for Hub gears and I read that German forum daily...

Most on here with with e bikes seem to favour Hub gears, I personally prefer Shimano XT (as on my DaaHub bike)

all these Bosch bikes have exactly the same drive system (except new 2012 350 watt sport) The KTM was £500 cheaper then Haibike trekking (Cross not available here). Its a very nice utilitarian bike, BUT you need to try before you commit to buying one.........The more expensive higher spec bikes probably nicer, but I was buying 2 new bikes and could not afford over £2000 on each (KTM was £1800 - 2000 euro) but street edition with lighting and mudguards.

I am sure you will like the system, what other makes of Bosch bikes available in Madrid? what do you ride now?

Eddie

Last edited:

mahaca1

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2008
Madrid, Spain
The thread where I read about the power cut down is this:

Google Translate

I've tried a Haibike and I liked it very much, but the KTM is less expensive.
As far as I know you can buy Robert-Roberta with the bosch motor here in Madrid.

I rode a Giant twist express R1 but I sold it 2 years ago.

There are avalilable a lot of ebike manufacturers and models here in Madrid
BICICLETAS ELECTRICAS - Venta y reparción de bicis eléctricas en Madrid.
Kvolt

Even near the Retiro park you can rent a e-bike int this shop:
Venta, alquiler y reparacion de vehiculos electricos [Bicis y bicicletas/motos electricas] By bike Madrid

I'll try to test the KTM so I can compare with Haibike before buy it.

nice regards.

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I'm sure you would be happy with either bikes, just try them to see what gear system you prefer. Instinctively I would think you would prefer dérailleur but hub really suits the KTM bike. You are very lucky to be able to try different bikes in Madrid! I had to buy blind.....

The KTM at 1600 euro is a bargin....That is about £1400 (@1.14)

I have not read anything definitive that says bikes are set up differently from different manafacturers...just ride a few and see for yourself.

how much is the Haibike?

also the Hercules?

mahaca1

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2008
Madrid, Spain
THe Haibike Cross and Roberta cost 2399 €, the KTM is centairly a bargain, they make me a 15% off. Its retail price is 1899€ - 15% off = 1615 €.
KTM has just change all its bikes, the new KTM Cross has a lower bar, I like more the old one.

Macina Cross

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
THe Haibike Cross and Roberta cost 2399 €, the KTM is centairly a bargain, they make me a 15% off. Its retail price is 1899€ - 15% off = 1615 €.
KTM has just change all its bikes, the new KTM Cross has a lower bar, I like more the old one.

Macina Cross
I do not believe it! That new Macina would be perfect for my wife!:( She cannot get on with the cross bar......

mahaca1

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2008
Madrid, Spain
Mahaca1, los KTMs tienen menos potencia no? Son "de-tuned" para quidar la caja de marchas como se acen en la Haibike EQ Trekking.

Jota
I have just bought the KTM ecross this morning, it is the same 2011 Eddieo's bike.
I have ridden for one hour this afternoon, and I am very happy with the bike.
I don't remember which Haibike model I tried two mounths ago, I think it was the mountain bike one and I haven't noticed anything different in the motor power, as far as I can remember both are similar.
I choosse the highest power mode (speed level 3).
My weight is 108 Kg and I am not in a good shape, nevertheless I was able to maintain speeds of 24 km/h climbing moderate hills.
It's noticeable how quickily you reach the maximun speed (25 km/h), after that the bike rolls very well and you don't need much effort to go a bit faster (27-28 km/h). You realise when the motor cut off the power but it's not uncomfortable.
I expected a louder noise from the motor but it's only a bit louder than the noise of a Panasonic.
I am happy with the overall quality and response of the KTM macina cross.
best regards

Hola Jota,
algunos del foro aleman dicen que el motor tiene menos potencia, pero al final del thread otros dicen que no hay diferencia (o eso me parece entender).
Yo no he notado mucha diferencia con la Haibike que probé (tenia derailleur) y debido a mi peso (108 kilos) y mi mala forma fisica supongo que deberia de haber notado la diferencia si es que la hay.
Estoy contento con la KTM me parece una buena bici, facil de conducir, componentes de buena calidad, desliza bien por el carril bici, no molesta el ruido del motor, buena entrega de potencia (son 36 Volts).
Desde luego es bastanta mejor que la otra bici que he tenido la Giant Twist express R1 del 2008.
saludos

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Well done! A proper E bike at a bargain price! I dont feel so lonely or misunderstood anymore:D

Keep in touch and more feedback would be nice......

mahaca1

Pedelecer
Sep 20, 2008
Madrid, Spain
Well done! A proper E bike at a bargain price! I dont feel so lonely or misunderstood anymore:D

Keep in touch and more feedback would be nice......
Thanks Eddieo, I am sure we will enjoy a lot our bikes, now I need to put mudguards and lights, then I'll be able to commute to work as I did two years ago. It will take me to get to work around 1 hour and 10 min (12,5 miles, cycle line)

cycle line, no too much crossing streets

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Last edited: