KTM e style P

richard power

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2014
i feel compelled to write about this new bike i got a week ago, its my first e-bike.
i v'e had a chance to ride it the last couple of days and i have to say its a knockout !
this is going to sound strange, but initially i felt as if i was being disloyal to my other bike, as if i was cheating on her so to speak and i was afraid to praise the new arrival ! but iv'e dealt with it and it's time to move on ;).
it is a totally different style of riding and i'm loving it ! it really is a lot of fun.
i cant speak highly enough about the e style p from KTM. its a lovely piece of work. it really is very comfy .
i rode 72 kms today and used 65 % battery, mostly on ECO mode. its a big learning curve but it's so enjoyable.
you quickly begin to get the hang of it and learn the little tricks to stretch the battery power and achieve good range. last evening i rode about a km up hill to a friends house , i used 2 % on the way up and i put 3 % back in on the way down in regen mode, i got a tickle from that. iv'e learned to keep the gearing on the low side , just a cog lower than a conventional bike, and to keep a nice tension in the legs and that's it, bon voyage !
the deore xt is light, smooth and responsive and a pleasure to use. the saddle is ok too , it's comfy enough and i ride without padding. the battery is quick and easy to remove and install. i rode in from the same friends house tonight in the black dark and the lights are brilliant, for the first time in my life i could see where i was going, up to now i have memorized every pothole within miles, i don't know how iv'e lived to be this old !
i'm amazed at how silent this bike is, unless the motor is under considerable pressure you can't hear a sound.
i know i have only had this bike a week , but i honestly can't fault it in anyway !
well thats it for now , i will keep you posted .

Attachments

Reactions: Aushiker

richard power

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2014
hi andrew, from your profile pic you look like a touring cyclist. i like to tour also.
if only i had some of your weather!
enjoy life on your bike ... richie

bonerp

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
congrats - I've just ordered the KTM e cross P with guards and a rack so it will pretty much become a stype but I suppose slightly more off roadable...is that a word!?

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Out of interest what rack are you getting fitted? There are some really nice ones out there.

bonerp

Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2014
Topeak Super Tourist DX with the topeak MTX Trunk Bag DXP

Looks a good set up and the bag is ideal.

Electrifying Cycles

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 4, 2011
Wow sounds good. Looking forward to seeing pictures when you get it.

richard power

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2014
hi andrew, thats serious touring and that looks a lonely old road !
i must admit my tours involve some nice tucker and maybe a bottle of that jacobs creek in the evening ! well ... delete the maybe ....

1boris

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 10, 2013
I understand that the climbing ability of the erace p is something special.I have a neo cross and are impressed with the bike.If anyone have ridden both neo cross and KTM panasonic e race p.Is there much diffrence in hill climbing?

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
1boris, I'm hoping to appraise an KTM eRace P sometime in the near future.
I'll be able to compare it to my NEO Xtrem which should in the scheme of things be roughly comparable to your Cross. I'll let you know my findings.
I can say without hesitation though, that my Xtrem climbs hill more effortlessly and faster than my Haibike eq xduro cross. This has been backed up time after time by my Strava results on set hills and routes.
I suspect the KTM will also effortlessly trounce the Haibike, but the comparison between the Xtrem and KTM should prove to be an interesting one, and I suspect that the end result will come down to battery duration, rather than anything else. :)

Last edited:

Aushiker

Pedelecer
hi andrew, thats serious touring and that looks a lonely old road !
i must admit my tours involve some nice tucker and maybe a bottle of that jacobs creek in the evening ! well ... delete the maybe ....
Neither out there I am afraid :) ... that was a section in which I left Carnarvon with 20 days of food on board and had to carry five days of water from Gascoyne Junction. Fairly remote but still a few stations around if it really got difficult.

It has a real different feel to it.

Andrew

Aushiker

Pedelecer
Topeak Super Tourist DX with the topeak MTX Trunk Bag DXP
I am a real Tubus rack fan but have gone with a Topeak MTX Explorer rack for in progress conversion as they had a more suitable disc version. Must admit a little worried about this but hopefully the Topeak rack will be okay given that it is only being used to carry the battery.

Will be interested in hearing how yours works out.

Andrew

Reactions: bonerp

richard power

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2014
Neither out there I am afraid :) ... that was a section in which I left Carnarvon with 20 days of food on board and had to carry five days of water from Gascoyne Junction. Fairly remote but still a few stations around if it really got difficult.

It has a real different feel to it.

Andrew

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
I’ve been using both the Neo race and eRace P recently, the neo seems quicker to 15.5mph and smoother in doing it but I think that’s because its lighter, depends on the circumstances and on the terrain both are used on of course, my use has been to commute a 16 mile round trip each day.

They are both great bikes to ride, powerful and aesthetically pleasing. The Neo has hardly any give in the chassis, so road use can seem harsh and you feel every bit of missing tarmac. The gears are smooth and move very precisely and surprisingly for rim brakes (set up right) they are sharp but not so that you feel you’re about to be thrown over the handle bars just enough to give you confidence to stop quickly in emergencies, and you can have fun pushing the back out with ease! Love how you can throw the Neo Race about and considering it’s lighter than the eRace P it still feels planted on the tarmac.

In hill climbs it seems to have more ‘torque’ than the eRace P too, but only just. Cruising up Worcester Park high street it pulls a few more mph than the eRace P. You have 2 more assistance levels on the Neo race, which could be useful to some (I always ride all ebikes in the highest assistance mode).

The KTM erace P shouts ‘KTM” at you, when I ride this I always get comments about how stylish it is etc, rode it on Saturday and had a couple of kids shouting out how ‘wicked’ and ‘sick’ it looked. Compared to the neo race this bike is heavier and feels like it could take a ‘pounding’ in any environment. It soaks up the poor condition of the roads on my daily commute with ease and enjoys attacking kerbs etc with hardly any impact on the rider, it’s a smooth and very ‘refined’ bike to ride as are all the KTM’s I ridden so far. eRace P has lock out front shocks which can be operated from the handle bars and other functions like regeneration of the battery via pedaling or braking.

The delivery of power is smooth and instant; pulling away at the lights the bike wants to fly and gives you confidence to take the lead when setting off from a junction. Brakes are smooth and as you’d expect on a bike like this hydraulic and lovely to use.

Both very different bikes but great fun.

richard power

Pedelecer
Mar 8, 2014
I’ve been using both the Neo race and eRace P recently, the neo seems quicker to 15.5mph and smoother in doing it but I think that’s because its lighter, depends on the circumstances and on the terrain both are used on of course, my use has been to commute a 16 mile round trip each day.

They are both great bikes to ride, powerful and aesthetically pleasing. The Neo has hardly any give in the chassis, so road use can seem harsh and you feel every bit of missing tarmac. The gears are smooth and move very precisely and surprisingly for rim brakes (set up right) they are sharp but not so that you feel you’re about to be thrown over the handle bars just enough to give you confidence to stop quickly in emergencies, and you can have fun pushing the back out with ease! Love how you can throw the Neo Race about and considering it’s lighter than the eRace P it still feels planted on the tarmac.

In hill climbs it seems to have more ‘torque’ than the eRace P too, but only just. Cruising up Worcester Park high street it pulls a few more mph than the eRace P. You have 2 more assistance levels on the Neo race, which could be useful to some (I always ride all ebikes in the highest assistance mode).

The KTM erace P shouts ‘KTM” at you, when I ride this I always get comments about how stylish it is etc, rode it on Saturday and had a couple of kids shouting out how ‘wicked’ and ‘sick’ it looked. Compared to the neo race this bike is heavier and feels like it could take a ‘pounding’ in any environment. It soaks up the poor condition of the roads on my daily commute with ease and enjoys attacking kerbs etc with hardly any impact on the rider, it’s a smooth and very ‘refined’ bike to ride as are all the KTM’s I ridden so far. eRace P has lock out front shocks which can be operated from the handle bars and other functions like regeneration of the battery via pedaling or braking.

The delivery of power is smooth and instant; pulling away at the lights the bike wants to fly and gives you confidence to take the lead when setting off from a junction. Brakes are smooth and as you’d expect on a bike like this hydraulic and lovely to use.

Both very different bikes but great fun.