KTM ebikes.........anyone use one?

20ston

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2012
good evening everyone,
i am still looking for a good offroad ebike.
KTM make a few it seems, just wondering if anyone has any idea if they are a worthwhile purchase.
the e-lycan looks ideal or the macina race 29r.

Macina Race 29/26

e-Lycan

would either of these be up to the standard of the haibikes.

thanks

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
we had the KTM Macina cross, loved the bosch system, but while i was more then happy to use the bike it was bought for my wife to use on holidays, and she could not get on with crossbar so it had to go. Problem is that most drop crossbar bikes are heavier and I don't like heavy bikes..... 20kg max

I really like the race 29'er though....and yes they stand up to comparison with Haibike.....just check and compare quality of components carefully...

Last edited:

20ston

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2012
Eddieo, if you dont mind me asking, where did you buy it from.
any internet search just comes up with the ktm website, but i cant seem to find any uk dealers.

Kudoscycles

Official Trade Member
Apr 15, 2011
www.kudoscycles.com
KTM have now appointed a UK distributor,they will have test e-bikes late June,Kudos may stock them if the distributor can get stock....we tried to buy KTM from Austria,they seemed to have no interest in the small UK market.
Interestingly KTM had a big stand at the recent Shanghai Cycle Show,them and Ghost had some wonderful sports bikes but no e-bikes. The emergence of a strong middle class is creating a market in China for high quality cycles,the old bone shakers seem to be disappearing from the roads.
Dave
KudosCycles

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
I bought mine from Germany at stadler.de have a look on german ebay for links to dealers.....but like latest posts say they seem to be trickling across now.there was at thread this week with link to ebay and a KTM motorbike dealer has started bringing them in, red something.....exchange rate good at moment somake sure price right if not buy a Haibike from justebikes as his prices more or less the same as Germany....

the KTM 29'er should be just under 2k

edit: £1935 at today's rate + £70 approx postage

http://www.zweirad-stadler.com/shop/ktm/ktm-elektrorad-macina-26.html,a21044

Last edited:

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
here is link to UK ebay dealer..cheeky so and so has just converted euro price to pound directly....naughty!

KTM MACINA RACE ELETRIC BIKE | eBay

I would just call them and offer 2k and say you can get one posted from Germany in a few days for £1935

Last edited:

20ston

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2012
Eddieo, i spoke to the ktm distributer this morning.
the macina race (conventional gears) is available from a bike shop 10 miles from me.
£2300 which i am prepared to pay for peace of mind and ease if any problems arise.

Cakey

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 4, 2012
Hi 20
Can you ask if they have the ktm egnition ?
ave are not responding to requests on their bikes

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Eddieo, i spoke to the ktm distributer this morning.
the macina race (conventional gears) is available from a bike shop 10 miles from me.
£2300 which i am prepared to pay for peace of mind and ease if any problems arise.
I would not be paying nearly £400 more for the same bike and encouraging this "rip of Britain" culture........If anything goes wrong with Bosch side of things, it will be going back to Germany anyway! Bike side not worth worrying about.

Personally I would import one or get a Haibike from justebikes, at least he makes the effort to sell at near German prices and with the inverted motor and good spec probably a better bike anyway...

Last edited:

20ston

Pedelecer
Apr 11, 2012
Eddieo, i do like the haibike, but the range is the limiting factor.
i want a bike with assist that i can get 40 to 50 miles out of. i can do this on my kalkhoff, but i want a offroader.
with the haibike i would have to buy a spare battery, which turns it into a very expensive episode.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Eddieo, i do like the haibike, but the range is the limiting factor.
i want a bike with assist that i can get 40 to 50 miles out of. i can do this on my kalkhoff, but i want a offroader.
with the haibike i would have to buy a spare battery, which turns it into a very expensive episode.
all these Bosch bikes whether you are paying £1700 or £3000 + have the same battery and mid motor....

I suggest you look on German pedelec for an idea of range, or are you looking at BionX?

Burgman

Just Joined
Mar 27, 2012
I have just seen these , thanks for posting . I have had their motorbikes for years and they are in manufacturing terms as good as it gets and always resource importer/spares backup extremely well. I run Kalkhoff Pro Disc 8 which I researched long and hard prior to purchase and reckon the best on the market at that time (late 2011). These KTM's will be serious kit.

LEBC Tom

Pedelecer
Sep 11, 2013
Hampton Wick, KT1 4DA
Yes, came in on Friday but without the new Nyon Bosch display, the bike is as you'd expect well built and full of top end components. The Nyon Bosch display will be sent to me according FLi/Bosch in September to replace the exsisting setup.

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Please stop teasing me!!!!!!!!! :( I might well venture up for dribbling over the bike session. :)

KTM have really moved the goal posts this year, not only with pedelecs, but with pedal only bikes as well. They certainly seem on a mission to get more than their share of the market, and given the price V component spec and quality, I reckon that that at the rate that they are going, the next year or so will prove to be interesting times. :)

Reactions: LEBC Tom