KTM Macina 29 stolen last night

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
with this type of locking system you won't be able to turn the wheel around this is what this sort of locking system is designed to stop you haven your wheels and things stolen and also to stop the wheels from moving around.If a thief came a long and was unable to turn your wheel more then likely he wouldnt even bother to steal your bike he would have to carry it away and to be honest carrying a 20 kilo bike is not going to much fun anywhere i am sure most people wouldnt be able to carry it far so they would just leave it alone and not bother with it. i have been reading more about this locks and you cannot grind them off either so it would be pointless even trying to.

Thanks for the link, appreciated. I do however thing you are wrong in your thinking.

Much the same a Pinhead security nuts, these prevent cycle parts being removed but will not prevent the wheels rotating.

The locks that you have linked to do look very well made and a lot nicer than the Pinhead versions. Should I have need to lock parts I may give these a try.

Thanks SRS

Reactions: mfj197

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
True SRS, the wheels will still rotate when these locking nuts are used, so they only protect against parts removals. Certainly useful to protect parts, but thieves will still take a bike to quickly sell. Only the eventual buyer will be inconvenienced when they find they cannot remove the secure nuts.

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Indeed. They look effective but are not cheap, at £135 for a pair of wheel skewers and a seatpost clamp.

SRS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 30, 2012
South Coast
I have wheel and seat post locks on my hybrid town bike. A little peace of mind when shopping.

They won't and are not intended to stop the whole bike going but may stop you having to ride home without a saddle.

mountainsport

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 6, 2012
I have wheel and seat post locks on my hybrid town bike. A little peace of mind when shopping.

They won't and are not intended to stop the whole bike going but may stop you having to ride home without a saddle.
Hi SRS,

I am so far behind with this so upsetting news. I cringe when the thought of these heartless cold blooded people think that it is acceptable or natural to take away something that clearly does not belong to them.:mad::mad:

Anyway, I am glad your back on track once again.

MS.

Reactions: SRS

Alan Quay

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 4, 2012
Devon

I bought a bike from eBay a few months back and the seller had fitted a high security locking device to the front wheel. He was apologetic that he had lost the 'key' for it, and was astounded when I said I had one in my pocket.

I don't recall now if it was a 5 or 6mm Allen key. I would have spared his blushes but I had to take it apart to get in the car!

Reactions: mfj197

Mac_user82

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 16, 2014
i just thought i would post this on here about the wheel rotation you cannot rotate the wheel by someone else if you have locked the wheel at all so if you had your bike in the garage and someone stolen it they could take it with them but they would have to carry instead of riding it away not many people are going to be carrying a 20 kilo bike anywhere far really so it would be just pointless and you cannot drill this type of locking system either.At the end of the day thief is not going to spend money on fixing your bike to sell they just want to nick it sell it and get some drug money for it. here is the link about the wheel rotation
http://atomic22.com/maximum-bike-security.aspx

mfj197

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 18, 2014
Guildford
Ah I think the anti-rotation mentioned there is that the locks themselves cannot be force rotated, i.e. undone with a pair of pliers or some other tool. It doesn't look like it stops the wheel rotating in any way.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
i just thought i would post this on here about the wheel rotation you cannot rotate the wheel by someone else if you have locked the wheel at all so if you had your bike in the garage and someone stolen it they could take it with them but they would have to carry instead of riding it away not many people are going to be carrying a 20 kilo bike anywhere far really so it would be just pointless and you cannot drill this type of locking system either.
You are misreading it Mac_user82, the reference to anti-rotation means the special nuts, not the wheels. Anyone can still ride away a bike with these security nuts fitted, since they leave the wheels still able to turn freely.

Reactions: Wicky

jimmyhackers

Pedelecer
Feb 18, 2015
the police are fecking useless.

your people in vans sound like pikeys, and the **** type.

luckily where i live the local council estate have a hankering for making their life difficult.
i never thought chavs would have a use, but then they go and terroise any local "travellers" in my area meaning they stay for a maximum of a day or two.

granted overturning carvans and setting them on fire, slashing car tyres etc is illegal. then so is the increase in pety theft from sheds, garages and local woods "trees for fire"

basically the law cant do **** to move people on. find yourself some deliquants and make it in their best interest to make you local van dwellers lives misserable.

or failing that.....collect a large amount of dog or human excriment and go jackson pollock style on their vans

Reactions: lightning

Fordulike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 26, 2010
the police are fecking useless.

your people in vans sound like pikeys, and the **** type.

luckily where i live the local council estate have a hankering for making their life difficult.
i never thought chavs would have a use, but then they go and terroise any local "travellers" in my area meaning they stay for a maximum of a day or two.

granted overturning carvans and setting them on fire, slashing car tyres etc is illegal. then so is the increase in pety theft from sheds, garages and local woods "trees for fire"

basically the law cant do **** to move people on. find yourself some deliquants and make it in their best interest to make you local van dwellers lives misserable.

or failing that.....collect a large amount of dog or human excriment and go jackson pollock style on their vans
I'm sensing yer not a big fan of Irish travellers or the boys in blue :rolleyes: