L plates on an s pedelec?

Caph

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 29, 2008
Nottingham, UK
For someone who hasn't passed their motorbike test and doesn't have a grandfathered moped license courtesy of their pre 2001 car licence, would they have to fit L plates to their speed pedelec?

It sounds crazy but I'm guessing they would be required?

Wicky

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 12, 2014
Colchester, Essex
www.jhepburn.co.uk
Reactions: Caph

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
For someone who hasn't passed their motorbike test and doesn't have a grandfathered moped license courtesy of their pre 2001 car licence, would they have to fit L plates to their speed pedelec?

It sounds crazy but I'm guessing they would be required?
Yes, you do need L plates with an S Pedelec and a provisional licence.

Back in the 1940s and beyond we had them and number plates on any bicycle with an add on motor of any kind, no matter how slow, since they all needed a motor cycle driving licence.

It was a real problem to accommodate them, especially in the early years when they had to have front and rear number plates:

Last edited:
Reactions: Caph

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
And green 'probationary' P plates are mandatory even after you've passed your test esp. if & when riding on motorways.

P plates are not compulsory Wicky, only optional. Once the test is passed no additional plates are required.

Reactions: Deus

vfr400

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 12, 2011
Basildon
Plus, you can't take an S-pedelec on the motorway because any vehicle must have the capability to do 50 km/h. Neither can you take a 49cc motorcycle, even if it's the 50 mph 5-speed disc brake Honda SS50.

50.1 cc is allowed, regardless of speed.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
Plus, you can't take an S-pedelec on the motorway because any vehicle must have the capability to do 50 km/h. Neither can you take a 49cc motorcycle, even if it's the 50 mph 5-speed disc brake Honda SS50.

50.1 cc is allowed, regardless of speed.
I've got one of those gearboxes in one of my bikes, also done a short stretch on the motorway on my 114cc moped :eek:33080

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
I like that bike! Unusual

Though the idea of taking it on motorway scares the bejesus out of me. Brave ( or slightly mad) , man!!
Thanks
Yes it wasn't that nice really, but it was fairly quiet and it does have a top speed of about 65 mph.

Jimo

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 15, 2018
Fakenham, Norfolk
I want one - but my garage has 5 bikes already and I’m only 82 and suffer from chronic heart failure !
Me thinks I badly need a life extension ?

Reactions: flecc and Artstu