Larger chainring for Cube Acid Hybrid 500

G4WFT

Finding my (electric) wheels
Feb 21, 2020
I've had the bike in the title for over a year and thoroughly enjoy it, except that I find it a little under-geared, never using anything below the smallest three sprockets. The chainring is 38t. Could I fit a larger chainring? Bear in mind I'm very much a beginner, so don't have experience in bike mechanics.

Thanks,

Tim.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Hi Tim, can you check if the chainring is a standard 104 mm BCD ? if so it should be straightforward (unless someone comes along and says not )

In terms of picking the size, number of teeth try one of the online calculators to model rpm of your legs versus road speed. I use this one which is self explanatory.

(edit) I just quickly pinched this page with dimensions to help measure the chainring fixing

G4WFT

Feb 21, 2020
Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm almost certain it is 104mm BCD. Is it generally a job you can do yourself to space the chainring? If fitting a larger one do you need a chain replacement also? As I said, I'm no mechanic!

Cheers,

Tim.

G4WFT

Feb 21, 2020
Sorry, didn't notice the typo - "space" should be "replace" of course.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020
Its straightforward to do with basic hand tools , the chain shouldn't need splitting but depending on how much bigger you go with the ring the chain might be a bit tight on the lowest gears. Use the calculator to see what you think might be the size you need and then look how many extra teeth it is. from that ypu can work out how much longer the chain needs to be. Halfords would almost certainly do this for you if you weren't confident.

gw8izr

Pedelecer
Jan 1, 2020

have a read, it might be helpful and give some pointers

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
I've had the bike in the title for over a year and thoroughly enjoy it, except that I find it a little under-geared, never using anything below the smallest three sprockets. The chainring is 38t. Could I fit a larger chainring? Bear in mind I'm very much a beginner, so don't have experience in bike mechanics.

Thanks,

Tim.
Using the infos already kindly supplied by others, you might be able to do TWO changes in the direction you wish to go:-
1) change the chainring for a larger diameter
2) Change the cassette for one with a smaller diameter!

I myself have only done the second one, and from memory only, I went from a top gear with I believe 15 or 16 teeth, to one with 11. It made that bike far nicer to ride, and the feel of much less revolutions for the feet!
Same speed of course, but less effort on my part.
The work, if you buy a few special tools, which are not expensive, is easy to do and the results were great.
May I suggest that you do the cassette first and see how you like the difference, assuming for the moment that your cassette is not already at the highest possible gear (lowest number of teeth).
Then if that is not possible for some reason, or you want a still higher top gear, then do the chainring.....or the other way round, but doing both, you may find that the chain you have may still fit, or be close to.
If you remember what an "Overdrive" did for cars, the effect is I feel, somewhat similar for bikes!
If you are interested in learning more about the car version, look here:-
Regards
Andy

G4WFT

Feb 21, 2020
Thanks Andy. The cassette on the Cube already has a 11t sprocket and I guess you can't go much smaller than that? I feel more confident in having a go at replacing the chainring now, so I'll look at what's available and have at look at the calculator mentioned earlier to gauge what I need to look for.

Many thanks,

Tim.

Reactions: Andy-Mat

Andy-Mat

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 26, 2018
Thanks Andy. The cassette on the Cube already has a 11t sprocket and I guess you can't go much smaller than that? I feel more confident in having a go at replacing the chainring now, so I'll look at what's available and have at look at the calculator mentioned earlier to gauge what I need to look for.

Many thanks,

Tim.
It was just a thought, just in case!
In my case, that made a large difference.
Cassettes with less teeth than 11 are probably like "Hen's teeth"!! Though if there are some, somebody here will know!!
I do believe that there are two "types" of cassette, incompatible with each other, maybe the "other type" from what I had on my last e-bike, I do believe had top gears with even less teeth, but its 7 or 8 years ago.....
regards
Andy

TobyAnscombe

Pedelecer
Jun 7, 2012
Epping Forest, Essex

have a read, it might be helpful and give some pointers
:waves:
if you need any help then shout. I went to a 42t and needed to get a 118 link chain. I’ve just moved to an xt setup this week so everything is still fresh in my mind. It’s all pretty easy...

G4WFT

Feb 21, 2020
Thanks again Toby, that's most kind of you. I reckon what you went for will do me. Luckily, I have a mate a few miles away who is quite experienced in bike maintenance, so if I get stuck I'm sure he'll help out!

Cheers,

Tim.

Reactions: TobyAnscombe

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
It was just a thought, just in case!
In my case, that made a large difference.
Cassettes with less teeth than 11 are probably like "Hen's teeth"!! Though if there are some, somebody here will know!!
I do believe that there are two "types" of cassette, incompatible with each other, maybe the "other type" from what I had on my last e-bike, I do believe had top gears with even less teeth, but its 7 or 8 years ago.....
regards
Andy

xd driver only tho

Mattmcquiff

Just Joined
Aug 26, 2021
Hi, one the Hybrid Nature 500 and I'm also looking to upgrade the chain ring. I can see that a larger chainring (looking at 48 from the 38T) would touch the frame of the bike so would need to add a spacer.
Having read through it appears that mine is slightly different as the chainring attaches at the centre.
Can anyone suggest what I should be buying or measuring? The chain guard is part of chainring (riveted)

Attachments

Mattmcquiff

Just Joined
Aug 26, 2021
Hey hey - something like https://www.e-bikeshop.co.uk/products/kmc-bosch-gen-3-44t-chainring-3mm-offset might fit.. Mine did hit the frame while mountain biking (bottoming out on a log roll) so I've switched it back for 'pure' MTB. Worked great as a commuter though!
Great thats pointing me in the right direction, Ideally need to go that extra and get some more teeth?
I see some have left the old ring in place to space the larger one further way from the frame.

georgehenry

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 7, 2015
Surrey
38 to 48 is likely to be too big a jump. I used a 42 tooth narrow wide chain ring coupled with a 12/36 cassette, for commuting duties on the road and that enabled me to cruise most of the time above 20 mph and average 20 mph for my 10 mile undulating B road home from work journey.

Mattmcquiff

Just Joined
Aug 26, 2021
38 to 48 is likely to be too big a jump. I used a 42 tooth narrow wide chain ring coupled with a 12/36 cassette, for commuting duties on the road and that enabled me to cruise most of the time above 20 mph and average 20 mph for my 10 mile undulating B road home from work journey.
So 4 extra teeth will that make a big difference?

If I went to 48T what would be the issue of the big jump?
Although 20mph cruising with 42T sounds about right for me in fairness.

(Same issue as everyone else, i'm only using the bottom for cogs on the cassette)