Last word on the helmet debate?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I just fail to understand the argument against wearing a helmet whilst cycling:confused:
I've said this before John, but it's worth saying it again. What argument against?

I've never seen anyone argue against wearing a helmet in here, only posts from those who defend their right not to wear one, and they frequently say they are happy for others to wear them if they wish. By no token is that an argument against wearing them, it's just a defence of freedom.

The against argument is against those who would compel, but that's a different thing entirely.

C

Cyclezee

I've said this before John, but it's worth saying it again. What argument against?

I've never seen anyone argue against wearing a helmet in here, only posts from those who defend their right not to wear one, and they frequently say they are happy for others to wear them if they wish. By no token is that an argument against wearing them, it's just a defence of freedom.

The against argument is against those who would compel, but that's a different thing entirely.
Ah, what price freedom:(

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I'm living evidence of the other side of this coin, not wearing one possibly makes one safer. I've always taken great care not to bang my head in over 64 years of cycling and have avoided getting any other injuries cycling during that time. Of course for around half of those years, wearing one was not an option, they didn't exist.
Not for me, I'll crash with or without a helmet. Last crash was today on the way home, somehow I stayed on my feet this time but it wasn't very graceful. :)

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Ah, what price freedom:(
That price is ours to choose, no different from all the other choices we make in how we live our lives.

Even in our UK environment life is full of risks and if we protected against all of them we would look ridiculous and our life of constant fear would scarcely be worth living.

I resisted joining in your other thread with it's glib assumptions that a scrap of slotted polystyrene perched pimple fashion on top of the head affords protection against the effects of bike accidents. I guess that's the freedom to be deluded. :D

C

Cyclezee

That price is ours to choose, no different from all the other choices we make in how we live our lives.

Even in our UK environment life is full of risks and if we protected against all of them we would look ridiculous and our life of constant fear would scarcely be worth living.

I resisted joining in your other thread with it's glib assumptions that a scrap of slotted polystyrene perched pimple fashion on top of the head affords protection against the effects of bike accidents. I guess that's the freedom to be deluded. :D
I can see where you are coming from Tony and understand your point of view............. with some difficulty. We are just going to have to agree to differ on this one.

Take care out there Tony, the forum can't afford to lose you:(

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Take care out there Tony, the forum can't afford to lose you:(
Not long to go, reached nearly 75 now and will stop cycling the moment I see that my capability is no longer adequate. The same will be true of driving, as soon as I perceive I'm not up to it I'll get others like taxi and bus drivers to do it for me.

Though given the poor record of the majority of drivers, perhaps I'd better wear a helmet when they drive me. :p

NRG

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 6, 2009
...or when you stepped out of your house Flecc in the snow and ice, you where lucky not to crack the back of your head as you came down....

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
I understand the arguments for wearing a helmet, but wearing a helmet takes away some of the enjoyment of cycling for me. I only wear one if I'm going to be doing some 'hardcore' off-road and perceive the risk of crashing to be higher.

Personally speaking, wearing a helmet subtly lowers my perceived risk and I find myself riding accordingly faster and take a few more risks, but feel safer whether on-road or off.

I have a risk taking, adventure seeking personality anyway, age (approaching mid-40's) has tempered this slightly, but I get more enjoyment and excitement out of cycling without a helmet. It's not all about risk though, I enjoy the freedom, wind in the hair etc. And I am a rebel at heart so will buck the nannying trend also, which again brings me some enjoyment.

I also think that cyclists look daft in helmets (and Lycra), so that contributes a little to me not wearing one, as thinking I might look daft removes some of my enjoyment.

I do wear hi-viz though !! :eek:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
...or when you stepped out of your house Flecc in the snow and ice, you where lucky not to crack the back of your head as you came down....
Absolutely true. In fact I once hit the back of my head in a commercial accident with such force that I lost my eyesight for several minutes. However the worst effect of that accident was a long strip of forearm muscle torn off and dangling, not a head injury. I used the office scissors to snip off the dangling muscle strip and popped into St James, Tooting, A & E a few hours later for a proper dressing! They don't make 'em like this these days! :cool:

lemmy

Esteemed Pedelecer
Everything to be said on this subject has been said here and elsewhere ad nauseam. The only argument left is whether helmet wearing could be made compulsory.

Evidence from Australia indicates that compulsion leads to one in three cyclists ceasing to cycle (it also increased the injury rate slightly, though no-one knows why).

Since compulsion would likely lead to a drop in cycle use (something no government wants to be responsible for - how ungreen would that be?) and render the Boris bikes unusable (which bikes the government wants to roll out in quantity in other cities given the massive success in London), it just ain't gonna happen.

Perhaps we could discusss how many angels can dance on the head of a pin instead? My estimate is 27,435 based on a pin head of 0.1 sq mm.

I am firmly against compelling angels to dance, however.

HarryB

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 22, 2007
London
...However the worst effect of that accident was a long strip of forearm muscle torn off and dangling, not a head injury. I used the office scissors to snip off the dangling muscle strip and popped into St James, Tooting, A & E a few hours later for a proper dressing! They don't make 'em like this these days! :cool:
Better than the usual helmet debate but I am feeling a little bit sick.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Better than the usual helmet debate but I am feeling a little bit sick.
That's how my staff felt when they saw me do it, I still clearly remember their faces and the gulp that one of the men did. I just grinned. :D

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
I don't think it should be compulscary to wear one. It really depends on your environment.

Why would you need to wear one on cycle paths and through parks. However i feel on the road its probably better to. Although we have older members here who probably feel like i never wore one previously why would i need one now.

Fact is helmet tech has come along way and mine only weighs 250g and if it saves a bump on the head its worth the money. But i wouldn't wear one if i wasn't on the road.

I ride the same with or without helmet to be honest.

C

Cyclezee

Not long to go, reached nearly 75 now and will stop cycling the moment I see that my capability is no longer adequate. The same will be true of driving, as soon as I perceive I'm not up to it I'll get others like taxi and bus drivers to do it for me.

Though given the poor record of the majority of drivers, perhaps I'd better wear a helmet when they drive me. :p
I hope you will be around for many years to come manage to stay fit and healthy to ripe old age. If you mental faculties are anything to go by, you have a long road to travel;)

All the best Tony and may your pedals keep spinning.