Latest cycle helmets

yselmike

Pedelecer
Sep 6, 2011
purmerend
I ordered an helmet online on 2 December after searching every bike shop in Amsterdam for one that came close to being even a close fit,Found a Casco urban TC plus at a bike fair in Utrecht and ordered it dec 2 and i waited and waited si i
phoned after the new year and there was a problem with quality control it will be delivered 15 january that came and went
phoned end of january sorry it will come when it comes out of his hands he said,
Feb 25 e-mail! helmet was sent out yesterday should arrive any moment now so at 11:45 left on the bike for work got flattened by a scooter that night so of to hospital, was totally out of it so a quick head scan showed no internal bleeding,
as I couldnt remember the name of my doctor or my phone number had to spend the night there or had to stay with somebody who could check up on me every 2 hours stayed with a friend and she drove me home the next afternoon
and the helmet was with my next door neighbour delivered 2 hours after I left for work,
So about that flame thrower,

C

Cyclezee

Link to the latest idea in cycle helmets and flame throwers !

Latest cycle helmet is a load of.

Interestingly at the end it opens up the debate about whether helmets are doing the job they were intended for.
Oh dear here we go again, the helmet debate pops up frequently and we can expect a lengthy thread.

Personally, I am in favour of wearing one, but I can see the point of those who don't.
There is the argument that helmet wearers acquire a feeling of invincibility and therefore are more likely to throw caution to the wind and ride dangerously.
Statistics would seem to suggest that this is the case, but statistics have been know to be misleading.

Let the battle commence;)

I do hope you recover from your accident soon yselmike, I guess you will be wearing your new helmet in future.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Oh dear here we go again, the helmet debate pops up frequently and we can expect a lengthy thread.

Personally, I am in favour of wearing one, but I can see the point of those who don't.
There is the argument that helmet wearers acquire a feeling of invincibility and therefore are more likely to throw caution to the wind and ride dangerously.
Statistics would seem to suggest that this is the case, but statistics have been know to be misleading.

Let the battle commence;)

I do hope you recover from your accident soon yselmike, I guess you will be wearing your new helmet in future.

WOW......have you seen that new one with the long blonde hair on the link ???

Maybe I might think about getting one......seeing as I am in the 'Dont wear one' camp but only cos they are so unattractive and spoil my hair......but seriously, I dont commute through heavy traffic which I suppose could sensibly change my opinion.

So a long blonde hair helmet seems like a good idea to me......might not be so attractive to the men on here.....but......then again......:D

Lynda :)

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
Sorry to hear about your accident yselmite and hope you will be ok. Was the bike a write off?

I must admit I wear a helmet but reluctantly. Mainly because my neighbour, a hospital consultant, said I should and I feel guilty if I sneak out without it on. My wife doesn't on 'hair grounds' like you Lynda. In fact when she has looked at helmets the only ones she seemed interested in cost nearly as much as the bike!!
I can't make up my mind on the merits. In my younger days I used to go rock climbing but never wore a helmet because that was the norm. Nowadays nearly everybody climbing wears a helmet and the same has happened to cycling............will walking be next? One of the beauties of cycling is the freedom it gives and somehow donning helmets and hi vis gear takes away that spontaneity and sense of enjoyment, it becomes a survival battle. Perhaps it's just the way we are today........health and safety to the fore!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Those who like helmets, wear them and tell us ad nauseum how many times they've saved your life.

Those like me who don't wear them needn't say anything, their presence shows they haven't been killed.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nowadays nearly everybody climbing wears a helmet and the same has happened to cycling..........
Official survey figure is 27% of cyclists wearing them, so only about a quarter.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
My wife doesn't on 'hair grounds' like you Lynda. In fact when she has looked at helmets the only ones she seemed interested in cost nearly as much as the bike!!
I can't make up my mind on the merits. In my younger days I used to go rock climbing but never wore a helmet because that was the norm. Nowadays nearly everybody climbing wears a helmet and the same has happened to cycling............will walking be next? One of the beauties of cycling is the freedom it gives and somehow donning helmets and hi vis gear takes away that spontaneity and sense of enjoyment, it becomes a survival battle. Perhaps it's just the way we are today........health and safety to the fore!
LOL....me too....the ones that look like hats, but just not funky enough hats.... and the multi coloured spotty ones were my favourites, but I agree, I like to just 'get on my bike' without seemingly having to prepare for WW3 ( ok...slight exaggeration ) and I am dead against all those blooming safety elfs :D

z0mb13e

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 28, 2009
Dorset
Those who like helmets, wear them and tell us ad nauseum how many times they've saved your life.

Those like me who don't wear them needn't say anything, their presence shows they haven't been killed.
Why is it always the minority that is so vocal?

Anyway <grabs popcorn>

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire
Official survey figure is 27% of cyclists wearing them, so only about a quarter.
Just going on my observation here in the national park. Lots of cyclists pass by our house, lean lycra clad, helmeted roadies and chubby, muddy, helmeted mountain bikers, all with desperate looks on their faces...........survival is doubtful!!!!! There is one bloke I see on a regular basis who doesn't wear a helmet but he is the only one.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
......Oh ...theres nothing quite like a good helmet debate to liven up a wet sunday morning......unless maybe the ''removed 50C threads'' come back.....oooh......make my day.....hurry up though Russ , cos Im going out for lunch :D :D

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Why is it always the minority that is so vocal?
Logical really, fewer voices need to shout louder to overcome many voices.

Or of course it could just be due to the inferiority complex engendered by the knowledge of being a minority.

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Commuting O trails as quick as I can to work = Full Face Helmet
Leisure riding or unassisted riding = Specialized Aurora
Pottering round town or to the shops = No helmet

I like all wears, but find I'm more confident when I have the protection.

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
the anti helmet brigade cant help themselves. I though thread was about a STYLE of NEW helmet

Not the bloomin boring pros and cons of wearing dem.....

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
the anti helmet brigade cant help themselves. I though thread was about a STYLE of NEW helmet

No the original post says are they doing the job they are intended for, no mention of style.

I dont wear one but I am certainly not against them.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011

No...eddie...I brought up the question of style.....but then, I AM a woman :D
Still dont wear one though......:)

johnc461165

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 19, 2011
WN6
To be honest I like the thinking behind this helmet and would be more prepared to pay a much higher price for it than to pay say £40 for a Polystyrene one, plus I do think the style is very good.

DJH

Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2011
North Yorkshire

My original post was to inform about a new TYPE of helmet and drew attention to the final paragraph in the article about the ongoing debate about the relevance of helmets. That final part seems to have taken off!

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
I never wear a helmet , because in my opinion , up to now ,these helmets have been unfit for purpose . Firstly they appear to protect only the top of the head .They aught to carry a sticker saying "Caution , whilst falling of your bike , ensure that you hit the deck with the top of your head first ." The other shortcomings are , they do not keep your ears warm in extreme temperatures , and there is no provision to fit a transparent rain shield or visor to keep the rain off your face . The helmets illustrated at the top of the page in the article seem to overcome all these problems , except the rain visor , but it looks as if the helmets may have press studs for this purpose . To me , they look ideal for winter use , and I might buy one . But , come summer , it would be back to the baseball cap .