Latest progress on cell upgrade for Bosch battery.

El Champiero

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2013
Bristol
Hi Rob,

I contacted about 3 suppliers of the Bosch style battery but they all sent me quotes for either a whole bike or a deep cycle lithium battery (!!) Despite me using the text in the subject line "Bosch compatible 8.8aH frame battery" and it linking to their product!

I will try again and see if I can get a meaningful quote sent to me.

El Champiero

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2013
Bristol
Just thought I would post an update on how the new re-celled battery is going. So far I have been using it at least 3 times per week for my 13 mile commute (26 mile total distance) into work and it is lasting per charge, about 15% longer than the 8.8aH conventional battery. A small improvement but definitely worth it for getting this extra performance for the price I paid. It would be interesting to try a re-cell in the future using 2.9aH Samsung SDI cells to see how these cells compare to the Panasonic NCR cells.

v.s.o.p.

Finding my (electric) wheels
Aug 25, 2013
Hi all. I ll try to bring these http://www.gd-battery.com/products_show-240.html to Europe with some help of battery importer. Unfortunately Chinese won't sell smaller quantity than 10 pcs. I should get the quotation in few days. Then I'll test all batteries with my haibike xduro 2012 set. Its possible that chineese replacements might be more flexible for future recelling.

El Champiero

Pedelecer
Nov 25, 2013
Bristol
I got one Bosch compatible battery from this place: http://www.gd-battery.com/products_show-240.html

They only sell to traders so I had to be a bit creative on that front. Also, they sent the battery as an electronic device on the customs form (it was very well packed) and therefore got around the customs rules on the marking up of lithium batteries. No doubt this was to save on the cost of shipping.

Very happy with the battery - it works well and was over half the cost of a new Bosch genuine one.

v.s.o.p.

Aug 25, 2013

Just started to test it. Initially it looks (quality of plastic casing) very similar to Bosch. Provides same range and behaves thermally prety much the same as genuine 288wh.

v.s.o.p.

Aug 25, 2013
Very interesting service opened in Italy

Aside from their major speed tuning for Bosch engine, now they offer recell service. Turning old bosch batteries into 600wh / 17A behemoths.

http://www.speedup.altervista.org

From my private mailing - the total cost should be around 600 euro.

D

Deleted member 4366

Good find.

I don't understand. If there's room for 50 cells in there, why don't Bosch put 50 in as an option?

BAH48

Pedelecer
Nov 6, 2012
Appleby Cumbria
Good find.

I don't understand. If there's room for 50 cells in there, why don't Bosch put 50 in as an option?
There isn't enough room, I quote -
"The battery, which is owned by the customer, is emptied of the original cells are replaced and increased to 50 units resulting in a total capacity of 612 Wh / Ah 17 to 50% more capacity if the original battery is 400 Wh and equal 110% more capacity if the original battery is 288 Wh. To obtain sufficient interior space adds two guscietti side pvc that increase the width of 20 mm total."