LBS repair led to problems, but not their fault

Conal

Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2007
I recently took my bike into my LBS for new crank bearings. They were a little cautious at first but thanks to a quick call to Andrew at OnBike I could reassure them that a standard replacement would be OK. £70 paid for this, new magura pads and a new rear disc brake cable.
I did not take my battery with me so rode unassisted back to work. When I rode home that evening power was intermittent so I PM'd Flecc and spoke to Andrew. The likely cause was the battery connection. In hindsight I should have stressed the fact that the bearings had been replaced.
I cleaned the connections on the battery and the bike, and gave the bike a good looking over the weekend (last but one). I then decided that a visit to OnBike was needed.
I arrived at their Kidderminster shop at around 1:30pm on Friday and could see that both Andrew and Phil were really busy. They sent me off on a new Wisper Alpino 906 demonstration model displayed at Presteigne and promised to fit me in. A very enjoyable hour and 15 hilly miles later I arrived back to find that a small adjustment to the sensor had done the trick.
LBS had fitted a thinner sealed unit so the pulsing I experienced was due to the weaker magnets not sensing the movement.
I enjoyed my day out more than most "holidays" I have taken and do not mind the journey too much; it would not be much quicker to get into central London and back, and I would have missed the quiet ride through the countryside surrounding the OnBike shop.
Also tried a great Wisper 806 folder, light but really sturdy to ride, and new eZee Sprint kitted with the dual battery and analyst, thanks to thier owners who were also there.
Whilst I was there two couples visited and spent a great deal of time with Andrew whilst he explained the merits of each range of bike. They could see and try out each bike and also ask about throttle/pedelec only arrangements. The second couple were looking at adding battery power to their tandem!

Thanks again to Andrew and Phil.

I cannot blame the LBS but, if they had any experience of electric bikes, I would have considered taking the bike back. As it is I am too worried that any comment seen as a complaint will result in them suggestion I take my custom elsewhere. I don't want to do this as they are very good.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
The pedelec sensor disc is always suspect of any work has been done there, they have to be quite close to work consistently. As you say, the bike shop can't be blamed for this, most LBSs wouldn't have understand it's function.