Lead Acid Chargers With Lipo

Scottyf

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 2, 2011
Hello All,
I've long been thinking about using a standard Pb charger with my Lipo. A kind of slow bulk charger if you will to top up my batteries while at work, or act as an emergency charger when further away from home.

Obviously carrying around my Lipo Balancer / Charger and Xbox Power supply are quite large and not portable and simple soloution would be better.

My question is the following...
If I used a pb charger such as these

Using say the nominal 60v (72v output @ about 2amps) I could use my 66.6v nominal pack to charge while i'm out.

This would give each cell 4v max if perfectly in balance (Which they won't be as such). But 4v gives a 0.2v headroom should they become out of balance.

I will still always balance charge at home.

Is this possible. Or are the charging charateristics not the same as CC/CV for pb batteries?

I wouldnt balance or constantly charge with this charger. But use it as a top up.
I also wouldn't need them charged in a hurry just a nice light portable charger.

Your answers are much appriciated.

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
Ive been wondering about this as I have 2 Ni Mh batteries and 2 Lipo with no chargers, but have a few SLA chargers. Its just to try them out rather than splash money out when other things are wrong.