Legal road scooter

guerney

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2021
One reason why people buy escooter stealth ninja silent wobbly death machines, is because they can be folded and taken into shops, workplaces etc. That thing'll be gone in seconds left locked up at a bike stand.

Last edited:

Craiggor 2

Pedelecer
May 30, 2018
People won’t need to register them if the government’s consultation on 500w e-bikes with throttles goes to plan.

Az.

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2022
Plymouth
Really nice scooter. I just don't understand why electric. It really doesn't make much sense and 3.5K price tag is a joke.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Is anybody going to ask him where he got his insurance from? I bet he has some sort of trade insurance that covers all vehicles - not available for us minions.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
I deleted a post with a foolish mistake in it. The scooter wasn't illegal. I had not watched the video. It is a motorcycle albeit a waste of time motorcycle. He'd be FAR better off with a proper second hand motorbike like this one of mine which I bought for £650 four years ago with 11,000 miles or thereabouts on the clock. Year 2000 Honda 250 - 100mpg if driven at city speeds. Blast it along at 60-65 and its about 88mpg.

You could by about 5 or 6 of these old Hondas for the money paid for that stupid motorcycle scooter. Insurance for this was £110.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
I deleted a post with a foolish mistake in it. The scooter wasn't illegal. I had not watched the video. It is a motorcycle albeit a waste of time motorcycle. He'd be FAR better off with a proper second hand motorbike like this one of mine which I bought for £650 four years ago with 11,000 miles or thereabouts on the clock. Year 2000 Honda 250 - 100mpg if driven at city speeds. Blast it along at 60-65 and its about 88mpg.

You could by about 5 or 6 of these old Hondas for the money paid for that stupid motorcycle scooter. Insurance for this was £110.

View attachment 57451
"Better" has different meanings for different people in different circumstances. If you locked that bike outside your flat in just about any city, it would be gone within a week. The guy made that clear in the video. You should watch it instead of skipping through. He made quite a good case for it. Soon, we'll all be using scooters to get around our 15 minute cities and 20 minute neighbourhoods when they start restricting our use of cars.

Reactions: flecc and Tony1951

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
"Better" has different meanings for different people in different circumstances. If you locked that bike outside your flat in just about any city, it would be gone within a week. The guy made that clear in the video. You should watch it instead of skipping through. He made quite a good case for it. Soon, we'll all be using scooters to get around our 15 minute cities and 20 minute neighbourhoods when they start restricting our use of cars.
Fair comment. Horse (or bikes) for courses.

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
Fair comment. Horse (or bikes) for courses.
Motorbikes, like yours, give you the freedom to go wherever you want as long as you can get fuel. These electric vehicles can be enabled and disabled by a central computer, as you can see from the hire scooters, which is a trial of what they want to do in the future. It's the same with electric cars and why they are introducing regulations to prevent the use of older cars. I just hope that those of us with enough electronics ability will be able to hack the control system, which should be quite easy on those scooters, though that could easily be defeated by gates at every neighbourhood entry and exit that validate the scooter before letting it through.

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
Motorbikes, like yours, give you the freedom to go wherever you want as long as you can get fuel. These electric vehicles can be enabled and disabled by a central computer, as you can see from the hire scooters, which is a trial of what they want to do in the future. It's the same with electric cars and why they are introducing regulations to prevent the use of older cars. I just hope that those of us with enough electronics ability will be able to hack the control system, which should be quite easy on those scooters, though that could easily be defeated by gates at every neighbourhood entry and exit that validate the scooter before letting it through.
A horrid prospect.

I think the population would rebel en mass and create a revolution. Not before time.

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
Really nice scooter. I just don't understand why electric. It really doesn't make much sense and 3.5K price tag is a joke.
Have you seen the cost of Ebikes :D

As its a first generation, I'd expect it to be high, at least until production kicks in and perhaps others start making versions.
That said I do agree its a bit steep at £3 1/2k, 2 1/2k would be closer to the mark.

But I think we can be assured that it is, will be a quality product, and less prone to issues we often see on mass produced bikes that are built to far cheaper retail pricing.

" I just don't understand why electric. It really doesn't make much sense "

Look abroad to the East, where many people ride mopeds rather than cars, and try to parallel that to the much smaller/narrower British roads. plus the important point that many journeys in the UK are of single people, usualy in cars.
This small moped thing fits the bill that many people can navigate on our narrower roads, plus I think that its been noticed that these narrower road are being narrowed further with the addition of a cycle lane, and what we're getting is a joint bus/car lane, keeping in mind a few points - those being the government is wanting to move away from fossil fueled vehicles.

So it kind of fits many bills. single passenger use, electric powered and takes up little room.
I would like to see legislation though banning them from cycle paths if their speed increase goes from 15.5 to 28mph. As there is no room on a joint lane for slower bikes/ebikes and what are effectively mopeds.

I dont want to be pottering along at old man pace and have a prick doing near 30 come up behind and passed me.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I would like to see legislation though banning them from cycle paths if their speed increase goes from 15.5 to 28mph. As there is no room on a joint lane for slower bikes/ebikes and what are effectively mopeds.
No need, it's already in place.

One of the clevernesses in EAPC law is the division set between them as Bicycles and Motor Vehicles, and of course motor vehicles are banned from all footpaths, shared paths, cycleways, bridleways etc.

That division is set in the last words of the Type Approval exemption that EAPCs enjoy, enlarged and highlighted here in bold:

(h) pedal cycles with pedal assistance which are equipped with
an auxiliary electric motor having a maximum continuous
rated power of less than or equal to 250 W, where the
output of the motor is cut off when the cyclist stops
pedalling and is otherwise progressively reduced and
finally cut off before the vehicle speed reaches 25 km/h;

That is where Bicycles with motors end. L1e-A is where Motor Vehicles begin AT 25kph (15.5mph).

Last edited:

saneagle

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 10, 2010
Telford
A horrid prospect.

I think the population would rebel en mass and create a revolution. Not before time.
They didn't rebel much when they were all locked down for covid! Instead, they all believed that it was for the good of themselves and the greater good for mankind.

When they tell you that you have to stay at home because aliens have landed and they're dealing with them, are you going to believe them or wait until you see an alien for yourself?

Tony1951

Esteemed Pedelecer
Mar 27, 2016
They didn't rebel much when they were all locked down for covid! Instead, they all believed that it was for the good of themselves and the greater good for mankind.

When they tell you that you have to stay at home because aliens have landed and they're dealing with them, are you going to believe them or wait until you see an alien for yourself?
I think the cases are different.

Videos showing desperate people begging to have their dying relatives admitted to hospitals and the fact that all over Lombardy old people were dying in hospital car parks and care homes scared the pants of people, and they acted according to their perception of immediate threat to themselves and their family members.

People react to immediate threats and there was one.

Global warming is very different. Whatever the Thunberg and Packham loons say, the ordinary folk realise that a one degree centigrade rise in mean global temperature from 14 degrees to fifteen degrees since the nineteenth century, is NOT going to create the immediate catastrophe that is being blagged about the media. In time technology will evolve and mature and we will transition to other ways of getting energy for transport.

The mean annual global temperature of the UK has risen from eight point something degrees C, to 9 pont something, in a hundred years. It is happening because of CO2 humans are releasing from fossilised carbon,. We have transferred 2.4 trillion tonnes of carbon from the ground to the atmosphere since 1750 and it is having an effect, but it ain't going to trouble us muchin the near future, unless we are incontinent hysterics on the BBC.

Given the dictatorial tendencies of governments - I do think people will revolt. Khan is likely to lose his position as Mayor. He looks haunted.

Last edited:

AndyBike

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2020
I do think people will revolt. Khan is likely to lose his position as Mayor. He looks haunted.
Naw, he looks like that all the time :p

As to the Ulez thing. That was a tory invention first proposed by Boris Johnson in march 2015- to be rolled out in 2020, and championed I might add by the tory party themselves.

Even if Khan were to lose, the tories would keep the policy, and even possibly extend it so cars previously compliant, no longer were.

Reactions: Tony1951