Leonardi General Lee - Got one...

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
So today, my Leonardi General Lee cassette adapter arrived from Germany (Seems strange, Italian made item and the only place i could find it was Germany).

The adapter replaces the biggest three rings of a Shimano SLX or XT cassette, i had assumed my cassette was an SLX, however upon taking it off it became apparent it was a Deore, the spec below SLX in Shimano's lineup. Worse, the Deore is a one-piece (well mostly one piece) unit. You cannot replace the three biggest rings.

So, i found an XT cassette at Evans Cycles and got them to price match the excellent Chain Reaction price of £34.99. This is on top of the £100 for the General Lee. I also picked up a new chain, since i was changing everything but the chainring. I checked the chainring, and it's not worn at all, so everything should be good.

Got back home again an hour ago, fitted the General Lee:

No problems putting it on the freewheel, if you have a cassette ring tool and a chain whip to remove the old one of course.

It is considerably bigger than my old 11-34, as i now have 11-42:

However, i'm still not up and running, as the brand new chain is not long enough, i will need to buy another and put in a 4-5" section. Each chain is £22, so another £44 for the total. So in all costs are looking like £175 for this once i get it all finished. I suppose i cant complain about the chain length, you wouldn't normally want a chain to go around a 44t chainring and a 42t sprocket, i just didnt anticipate the problem. I really should have, having had a recumbent trike before which needed three chains to make one.

Updates to follow when i get another chain tomorrow... if i can find one of the exact same type.

Hugh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2009
Looks very tasty. You'll be able to climb walls with that :rolleyes:

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Ok, so the General Lee is fitted:

It seems to work just fine, there is a slight noise in the largest sprocket where the upper jockey wheels and the cassette both touch the same section of chain at once. I'm uploading a short video which will show this.

This gives me:

109.9 gear inches (inches travelled per revolution of the cranks) in top
28.0 GI in bottom

The bike stock had:

109.9 GI in top
35.5 GI in bottom

Comparing this to a typical MTB with a 24t small chainring on a triple and 26" wheels i'm still a long way about the 19.5 GI in their bottom gear, however with all that Bosch 350w power behnd me i shouldnt need any more.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
Working this out using:

Speed(mph) = Gear(in) × Cadence (rpm) ÷ 336

My previous setup of 44 and 36 would at 80rpm give me a speed of 8.4mph, which is very similar to what i experienced on the very steep climbs where it struggled. With the General Lee this is reduced to 6.66, which should be easier.

The only further change i could possibly make without sacrificing top speed would be a 42t chainring, as the current gearing allows me to pedal into the low 30's. However that would only drop the GI to 27.5 so it hardly seems worth it to take the speed down to just 6.5mph.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
[video=youtube;d9k3EDugHws]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9k3EDugHws&feature=youtu.be[/video]

Clockwise

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 28, 2013
I'm going the other way, just got myself a fat bmx freewheel to take a 3/16 chain.

Artstu

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 2, 2009
A good job you haven't the latest Bosch system, now that really would look weird.

Streethawk

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 12, 2011
I'd be worried about the chain slipping on the 2014 Bosch coming in at the angle from the 42, even if it didnt slip it would cause more wear than normal as it wont contact as many teeth.

Speaking of wear, that's an unknown for me at the moment, the General Lee is aluminium, so probably wont hold up as long as a normal cassette, however from experience, the first gears that wear on a cassette are the smaller ones, as they see much more use, so it may be ok.