Leonardo Di Caprio gets on his A2B Metro!

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
As I said earlier:
That's an intriguing new avenue, a step further away from an e-bike but retaining some of the low weight. I'll be interested in how well it climbs without any option of pedal assistance, given that it's likely to be quite low powered at that weight.

Hi Flecc,

Spec is as follows:

iDEP Technology. iDEP (Intelligent Dual Energy Power) technology is the driving force behind the A2B EXCEL’s best in class performance. A patented intelligent energy management system developed by Ultra Motor that combines two types of lithium ion batteries to give A2B Excel riders independence from charging stations, greater range, and longer battery life.

Specifications EXCEL
• Speed. Max. speed: 45 km/h.
• Range. Up to 45 km
• Display. Multifunctional display, speed, distance, backlight, state of charge.
• Battery. Primary: integrated Li-ion battery (48 V),
Secondary: portable Li-ion battery (33,3 V), intelligent dual energy power iDEP).
• Motor. 800 W hub motor.
• Suspension. Front & rear.
• Saddle. Exclusive comfort saddle with integrated lock „Abus Bordo“ (optional).
• Brakes. Hydraulic disc brakes (front and rear): Magura Julie HP.
• Tires. 75/100 - 16.
• Weight. Total weight with secondary battery approx. 40 kg.

The above is a copy of our brochure content...

Our test pilot is over 6ft and has been testing up some steep hills!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Thanks Mark, even more interesting and a weight of around 40 kilos for a 48 volt independent power machine is impressive. It sounds as though the 33 volt battery is a range extender at lower power for optional use when necessary, is that so?

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Thanks Mark, even more interesting and a weight of around 40 kilos for a 48 volt independent power machine is impressive. It sounds as though the 33 volt battery is a range extender at lower power for optional use when necessary, is that so?
The 33 volt battery is designed to work with the 48v.

There are essentially 2 types of battery, High power- which is able to discharge energy at a fast rate for acceleration etc; and High energy- which can hold huge capacity, but its C rating restricts it being able to discharge at a fast rate.

So the idea is, the high energy sits in the frame and is used in conjunction with the rack mounted for acceleration. This reduces the stress on cells and provides best in class performance. The High energy can be used for cruising (range) when the demands aren't so high as less Voltage is required.

The battery on the rear rack (high energy) is always recharging the high power, as does the regen braking. Its a novel idea, and works very well. Initial discussions suggested up to 30% longer battery life.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Sounds good, coupling the sources when maximum power is needed but using them independently at other times is smart. It could go a long way to overcoming the bane of poor hill climbing that afflicts so many battery powered e-vehicles.

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sounds good, coupling the sources when maximum power is needed but using them independently at other times is smart. It could go a long way to overcoming the bane of poor hill climbing that afflicts so many battery powered e-vehicles.
Initial tests show this is the case. A very exciting development for our team :)

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
so the hill climbing with this set up good? even though only 800 watt motor?

I asked about scooters a while back as my daughter was interested for Uni. at that time the ones with portable batteries where expensive. what weight is the extra battery plse? and do you need to charge both? will investigate charge points in Tottenham court road area (where her halls are) As she has started at the LSE this week....

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
so the hill climbing with this set up good? even though only 800 watt motor?

I asked about scooters a while back as my daughter was interested for Uni. at that time the ones with portable batteries where expensive. what weight is the extra battery plse? and do you need to charge both? will investigate charge points in Tottenham court road area (where her halls are) As she has started at the LSE this week....
Hey Eddie

She sounds like a perfect Metro customer ;) no insurance, helmet, tax etc!!

The scooter comes with both batteries. The rear one (high energy) is removable and that charges the one on board, meaning you don't need to be near a charge point to top up!

Let me know if you need anything else.

Thanks
Mark

eddieo

Banned
Jul 7, 2008
Nooooooo.....to you no what (and she needs a helmet)

price and weight of portable battery plse:)

not sure I understand the technology, and how one battery feeds the fixed one.....maybe when you have some tech info you could post a link?

its not yellow is it?:eek:

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
Leonardo Di Caprio gets on his A2B Metro! excellent piece of marketing hope it helps with the selling

jim

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nooooooo.....to you no what (and she needs a helmet)

price and weight of portable battery plse:)

not sure I understand the technology, and how one battery feeds the fixed one.....maybe when you have some tech info you could post a link?

its not yellow is it?:eek:
Its comes with both batteries as standard.

Have a look at: http://www.youtube.com/v/qyNTc9IIjTM?fs=1&hl=en_US

Bike is set to be about £3199 RRP

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Jim, clearly you never watched Titanic? It was a dog of a movie......
Finally, someone who agrees with me that "Titanic" was a rubbish film. Di Caprio was at his best in the younger years as in "What's eating Gilbert Grape". In the later years he's often been seriously miscast.