Lets Discuss an Ebike friendly sticker campaign........

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
South Shields, Tyne & Wear
Wow well done Lynda. Our first charging point :) What kind of business does she run? And did you have any difficulty persuading her or explaining the idea? Did she understand about ebikes?
Its an Estate agents......and I know her, so, no problems persuading her :D
She has seen my bikes, and as she has got me back into wearing high heels (no, not whilst cycling LOL ) I hope to get her back into cycling :D

If it hadnt started chucking it down I was going to head up the other end of town to the LBS, so thats next on my list, then Im off to Perrys Cider mill to try to enlist them, also theres another out of town coffee place that i will approach soon......so get that website up and running !

What are we doing about approaching businesses for financial support towards the initial set up costs ?

Lynda :)

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Its an Estate agents......and I know her, so, no problems persuading her :D
She has seen my bikes, and as she has got me back into wearing high heels (no, not whilst cycling LOL ) I hope to get her back into cycling :D

If it hadnt started chucking it down I was going to head up the other end of town to the LBS, so thats next on my list, then Im off to Perrys Cider mill to try to enlist them, also theres another out of town coffee place that i will approach soon......so get that website up and running !

What are we doing about approaching businesses for financial support towards the initial set up costs ?

You're firing on all cylinders...raring to go!

I could start work now on a temporary website to outline the scheme and I will just use the popular green logo for now.. once we eventually agree on the final name and logo I can update it and register a domain name for the site. Sound ok?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
You're firing on all cylinders...raring to go!

I could start work now on a temporary website to outline the scheme and I will just use the popular green logo for now.. once we eventually agree on the final name and logo I can update it and register a domain name for the site. Sound ok?
Sounds good to me :D

Lynda

muckymits

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 31, 2011
:rolleyes:Erm second

OK.....time to get recruiting :)

First business onside and happy to allow charging is

MINSTER ESTATES
26 Silver Street,
ILMINSTER
Somerset
TA19 0DR

Tel: 01460 55884

Owner Shirley Wood

Very happy to help and sends her best wishes for the success of the venture.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
OOOOPS........sorry Muckymitts.......I meant from the general public ....not forum members...:D

Lynda

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Quick update... I'm busily working away on the website, it's installed and progressing nicely..will post the url later when its nearing completion.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Here's the website then... I know the design isn't very good! I'm using a template I've modified a bit..but it'll do for now and we can improve it as we go along. Not sure about the black textured background..looks a bit like a road! Maybe some of you like it? We could change to white if people think it looks too dark.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Here's the website then... I know the design isn't very good! I'm using a template I've modified a bit..but it'll do for now and we can improve it as we go along. Not sure about the black textured background..looks a bit like a road! Maybe some of you like it? We could change to white if people think it looks too dark.

Wow, well done :)
That is looking really impressive.....now we are really rolling.

Personally I think instead of pedelecs we should try electric bike.....as I said before, most people have no idea what a pedelec is.

The name is great.....but maybe think about bike charging post ?
As you say, we can all vote on it later.
I think it looks ok on the black background but lets see what everyone thinks about the optimum colours.......and maybe the text being a bit bigger ?

As for bringing green into the name, I think its worth considering, but the colour of the sticker being green means its maybe not quite so crucial.

Anyway....well done and thankyou....when can we start adding the businesses ?

And lets start getting businesses onside for donations towards the set up costs......

Extremely impressed Lynda :)

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Thanks Lynda for the positive comments, I did worry you might go uuugh. Well websites are meant to evolve eh and we can fine tune it as we go along and maybe end up with something very different over time..

I've not done anything to the badge/sticker yet or the name really until we decide, but at least we have some idea of how it will look and I can make any changes you want done later.

If you and kitchenman and anyone else who wanted to be part of the "project team" register with the "Join" link I will put upgrade your accounts to admins if you like. Shall we move further discussions to the site or continue here?

Re adding businesses... this will take some more work and planning...at the moment the software for the site doesn't have the facility to take addresses or business names for registered members.. I think the best way forward is to install a directory module.. then we can say to businesses, register here, then we'll automatically direct them to the directory area to enter their business details and allow them to put a blurb plugging their business and what they do.. how does that sound?

One more thing.. I definitely think it's a good idea for us to make ebike owners register as members too.. not least because it would enable us to know where people are, how many users there are out there, where they are using points more etc.. lots of useful info! But again, we'll have the problem of not having their details like town, type of bike etc.. so that is something I need to work on..maybe a separate directory (non-public) for members details perhaps.

Oh yeah, donations good point. I forgot about that..I will add a link at the top "donations" and make a page explaining that we need sponsors.. shall we just limit it to ebike industry businesses or leave it open to any business?

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Have sent you PM

Lynda

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Ok for those interested... the voting poll on the list of names of suggested for our project is now active.. Feel free to vote for your favourite name from the list.

morphix

Esteemed Pedelecer
Oct 24, 2010
Worcestershire
www.cyclecharge.org.uk
Thanks for the votes guys and girls, keep them coming! We'll keep the poll open a bit longer to give more people who have been following this thread the chance to vote who might be busy.

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Would like a few more votes everyone before we get going with this......

Trevor Holloway

Pedelecer
May 4, 2010
Whilst whizzing to work this morning it occured to me that surely it would be in BEBAs best interest to have more charging points and therefore somthing that they should be contributing towards !

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Whilst whizzing to work this morning it occured to me that surely it would be in BEBAs best interest to have more charging points and therefore somthing that they should be contributing towards !

Once we have the website completely up and running and a domain name and sticker design decided on then we will be asking ebike businesses for a small donation towards the setting up costs.......there will be a link added to the website for this soon.
The benefits to them are obvious and include free advertising on the website.
It will then be a case of registering on the site and using these recharge facilities as and when they are added around the country.

Hopefully most people will see the advantages of this scheme and contribute by asking any small suitable establishments in their area to join in for all our mutual benefit.

Can I just reiterate that the voting poll will stay open till this weekend and then it will be all systems go.....
so as many votes as possible would be appreciated.

Paul is doing a sterling job with the website and we are hoping this scheme will continue to grow and spread over time as word gets around.

Nice to know you are thinking about it as you cycle to work trevor :)

Thanks to everyone for their support so far.....more would be appreciated :)

Lynda

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
How about "Bike Charge Point" or just "eBike Point" as an eyecatching logo would probably be more recognisable.
Just ask morphix to add your suggestion to the voting list Trevor.....

Lynda

hihihi

Pedelecer
Sep 25, 2011
Isle Of Wight
Ok for those interested... the voting poll on the list of names of suggested for our project is now active.. Feel free to vote for your favourite name from the list.
I managed to vote twice for "8. rechargingpost" (by using two different computers). Please amend the current 2 down to 1. Thanks.

PennyFarthing

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 25, 2011
OOOH you have been busy bunnies whilst I've been absent from here. Glad I haven't missed it all.

Just voted.

Erm, I was only the 13th voter, so COME ON FOLKS, follow the link and vote please.

Thanks for all your hard work so far folks - the website looks very professional already.

It can only be a plus point for those selling ebikes too - another selling point, surely?

I've speed-read the thread, so apologies if I've missed the obvious - but are you going to compile a list (as well as a map) of all participating venues offering this service? Great advertising for the participating businesses.

Am happy to ask around businesses whereever I go or pass by - if you supply me with the info or something I can print off at home to give to them when chatting.

Am a little concerned how secure my expensive battery will be if, say, I left it in a shop and wandered around town for a couple of hours, but am sure you have thought of all that - I know its just a fresh idea being born.

Here is the link again, for everyone who reads this thread to vote for the name:

BikeCharging -

Definitely keep it up until at least the end of this weekend, because, in my own experience, I might not have popped in here for a couple of weeks - so I've only found this thread by pure chance.

Well done everyone - great idea!

Last edited:

funkylyn

Esteemed Pedelecer
Feb 22, 2011
Thanks for your support and enthusiasm Penny.
Its a great idea and hopefully in time we will all reap the benefits of it.
The more enthusiasm shown the better.....some members are noticeable by their absence......as mentioned earlier, constructive criticism is welcomed, we want to get this right and we need peoples input to help us do that.