Let's keep the throttle!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I was told that sPedelecs had to have a throttle capable of a certain speed, which is why Bosch make their walk assist button the throttle on the sPedelec bikes, and just up the limit on it. I was told this at the Bosch training, but I can't find it in writing anywhere... I'll have a look.
I'll certainly be interested to know, but I'm unable to understand what possible point such a measure would have. It equates to 19 kph which is even more odd for a European measure.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Yes that is correct - 20 kph off the line throttle on s-pedelecs then pedal assistance to 45 kph. Not in all countries maybe Austria and Germany, I read it somewhere.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes that is correct - 20 kph off the line throttle on s-pedelecs then pedal assistance to 45 kph. Not in all countries maybe Austria and Germany, I read it somewhere.
Did what you read say what the point of it was? I could somewhat understand it being the pedelec 25 kph point, but the new point of 20 kph seems to have no purpose.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
There is a way round the law to have a throttle without type approval in the EU. Germany and The Netherlands enjoy it and France will from January 2017.

It's informally called the "S" class.

There is generally a requirement for minimal registration with number plate and insurance, these being set by national governments who also determine whether they can use cyclepaths. No type approval or rider licence is necessary, despite the permitted 45 kph (28mph). And one can have up to a 500 watt rating.
I don't think we will ever have a s class.The L classes have been set out and is in operation as you say.The lowest L class is limited to 15.5mph so how can there be a bicycle that can go faster.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't think we will ever have a s class.The L classes have been set out and is in operation as you say.The lowest L class is limited to 15.5mph so how can there be a bicycle that can go faster.
We could* if the DfT pass the necessary measures into law, but they've seem opposed to it whenever it's mentioned

* The EU has a fundamental principle than any EU citizen is entitled to any benefit enjoyed by any other EU citizen, but each national government can have the last say.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
We could* if the DfT pass the necessary measures into law, but they've seem opposed to it whenever it's mentioned

* The EU has a fundamental principle than any EU citizen is entitled to any benefit enjoyed by any other EU citizen, but each national government can have the last say.
Me and you could sit down a re write the law in ½ an hour,I don't think any sensible person would disagree.but as for the dft and the rest of them,there sending us to hell in a hand cart.Speaking of hand carts
I,am I right in saying no liecene = no anything no regs at all.

the_killjoy

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 26, 2008
Coming back to the anti-lock brakes, since when does this apply to all other two wheel vehicles?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Speaking of hand carts
I,am I right in saying no liecene = no anything no regs at all.
Depends on the weight, up to 400 kilos maximum there's no licence and the power cuts and brake comes on the moment the pedestrian lets go.

The milk float like that can often be heavier so that then needs a clas K driving licence.

The law on these is the 1963 Pedestrian Controlled Vehicle regulations, not separate but incorporated within the 1960 Road Traffic Act and a Transport Lighting Regulation.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
Depends on the weight, up to 400 kilos maximum there's no licence and the power cuts and brake comes on the moment the pedestrian lets go.

The milk float like that can often be heavier so that then needs a clas K driving licence.

The law on these is the 1963 Pedestrian Controlled Vehicle regulations, not separate but incorporated within the 1960 Road Traffic Act and a Transport Lighting Regulation.
That's nearly the weight of a reliant robin 450 kg.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That's nearly the weight of a reliant robin 450 kg.
True, but they are intrinsically safe, the brakes locked on and no power is the normal state and only a person can keep them mobile and then only at walking pace. Years ago there used to be large numbers of these, the Post Office using them and also British Rail on station platforms amongst passengers, but I've never heard of a single accident.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
True, but they are intrinsically safe, the brakes locked on and no power is the normal state and only a person can keep them mobile and then only at walking pace. Years ago there used to be large numbers of these, the Post Office using them and also British Rail on station platforms amongst passengers, but I've never heard of a single accident.
I can't see any limit on speed.as fast as you can run ? Bald tyres? Any power?lights ? Reflectors?skateboard?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I can't see any limit on speed.as fast as you can run ? Bald tyres? Any power?lights ? Reflectors?skateboard?
They are speed limited by design to a maximum of 4 mph to conform the Pedestrian Control law. The EU law is similar and specifies 6kph. Downhill the brakes operate automatically so they can't run away either. Remember who is in front, they would get run over first if it was possible, but it's not.

And as I posted, they are legislated for in the transport lighting regulations if used at night. As for tyres, again I've posted that they are in the Road Transport Act 1963 so will be subject to many safety provisions in that. Also I'd guess their tyres last almost for ever at their speeds and low drive power.

Basically they are subject to most motor vehicle law, note the L plate in your photo, the licence exemption is only for the operator if it's not at the heavier end, for example the Post Office carrying mail.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
You had me racking my brains where I had seen the post office ones.Rhyl train station.

craiggor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 9, 2015
They are speed limited by design to a maximum of 4 mph to conform the Pedestrian Control law. The EU law is similar and specifies 6kph. Downhill the brakes operate automatically so they can't run away either. Remember who is in front, they would get run over first if it was possible, but it's not.

And as I posted, they are legislated for in the transport lighting regulations if used at night. As for tyres, again I've posted that they are in the Road Transport Act 1963 so will be subject to many safety provisions in that. Also I'd guess their tyres last almost for ever at their speeds and low drive power.

Basically they are subject to most motor vehicle law, note the L plate in your photo, the licence exemption is only for the operator if it's not at the heavier end, for example the Post Office carrying mail.
You seem to be able to buy lightweight ones with just what looks like emergency stop buttons.
.If a electric bike was made to be a lawn mower would that be road legal ?

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
You seem to be able to buy lightweight ones with just what looks like emergency stop buttons.
.If a electric bike was made to be a lawn mower would that be road legal ?
They're not for road use though, just shifting things in factories etc.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Did what you read say what the point of it was? I could somewhat understand it being the pedelec 25 kph point, but the new point of 20 kph seems to have no purpose.
Getting away from the lights/stop sign I think. Sometimes when the traffic is dense I put assistance in 5 and zip away up to 20 kph. When the car drivers see you do that they seem to keep their distance a little better. Except for the other day when a woman tried to run me off the road all the while telling me she didn't give a damn about my life...

Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Getting away from the lights/stop sign I think.
Thanks. Strange that they didn't use the 25 kph pedelec limit for consistency though. Maybe it was the "power phase down before 25 kph" pedelecs rule that put them off that.