LEVA-EU (no not another brexit thread )

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Call me a cynic, but I can't see anything good coming out of this for pedelecing.

LEVA representing all light electric vehicles once again introduces the conflicts of interest that plague type approval legislation. Such things as moped interests wilfully restricting what pedelecs and the S-class are permitted, for example blocking us having throttles.

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009
But that's a moped class. With the moped trade taking part, bureaucracy free pedelecs will have little chance of fair treatment.
No, it is the Powered Cycles class.

There was never a chance of throttles for Pedelecs in Europe due to the Commercial lobby within Europe as explained in the other lengthy thread which you are fully aware of.

Pushing mainly for Speed Pedelecs with little enthusiasm for a throttle controlled Pedelec was a step too far for the establishment lobbies and it was inevitable that acceptance of neither was obtainable.

LEVA want to promote all forms of vehicles to ensure innovation has a chance to carry the industry forward into the future and not to be shackled by restricted views and protectionism of the past.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
No, it is the Powered Cycles class.
If we leave the EU as currently planned, what 168/2013 classifies the L1e-A class as could become academic.

Despite 168/2013, the DVLC still refer to this as the Low Powered Moped class in current documentation, and the Vehicle Inspectorate work on the same basis.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
LEVA want to promote all forms of vehicles to ensure innovation has a chance to carry the industry forward into the future and not to be shackled by restricted views and protectionism of the past.
The nub of my point, LEVA includes the protectionists who have the restricted views, so what's changed?

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
Look at the early days of aviation and the automobile. People in sheds designed, invented, built without the need of any governing body, association whatever. Yes inventors died. Yes they killed innocent bystanders (a few). But that is the cost of progress. Cars and planes continue to kill people despite governing bodies making them safe.

Light electric transportation needs the shackles removed to progress, cars don't have power restrictions, we can live within the same speed limits they have. Mostly light electric vehicles need a space to be driven in. High speed ones don't belong on cycle paths. On roads, heavy vehicle drivers need to be aware the the ant sized thing in front is capable of the same speed as they are.

I hope that all members of LEVA have read this PDF:
http://users.telenet.be/fietser/fotos/VM4SD-FVDWsm.pdf

shemozzle999

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 28, 2009

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
The AVEM isn't a member? Isn't linked to? And yet it has been around since 1998...

http://www.avem.fr/

They have more interest in my eye because they cover the whole spectrum of clean transport from the pedelec to trucks. Light Electric Vehicles are already in a ghetto, LEVA will keep them there. We need a comprehensive view and all we get are tiny little groups squabbling...

• Agree
Reactions: flecc

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Nothing yet, but they could be a future voice for pedelecs
I really hope so, but I tend to be cynical with this. Pedelecs got a huge head start of over e-cars, not just years but decades, but the latter have overtaken in no time, technically, legally and socially.