Li-ion battery breaks out of phone !

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
hi, my idect phone had large crack in the cover...wife swears she never dropped it....battery looks swollen....has it broken out of its cover ?
regards

Attachments

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, battery has blown. Lithium batteries do this sometimes when they fail and can exert considerable force. Could be worth claiming off the manufacturer via the retailer for compensation.

It's a small fire risk still, so get it outside asap and away from any combustibles.

dmcgoldrick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 17, 2010
Yes, battery has blown. Lithium batteries do this sometimes when they fail and can exert considerable force. Could be worth claiming off the manufacturer via the retailer for compensation.

It's a small fire risk still, so get it outside asap and away from any combustibles.
thanks for advise flecc........its outside now !!!
regards

as usual cant remember where i got it from...probably about 3 or 4 years old..........

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
When it's been stable for 24 hours without further expansion you can get rid of it. It isn't supposed to go into general waste for landfill disposal though most end up that way, better if possible to put it into the household battery recycling bin at your local centre from which it should be disposed of safely.

It's failure indicates that metallic lithium crystals have formed inside the case due to poor manufacturing quality, puncturing the internal insulation. Lithium doesn't usually exist in metallic form inside batteries and it's potentially nasty stuff. It's one of the metals that burn, doing so at very high temperatures, and in the presence of water it can produce hydrogen gas which greatly adds to the combustion total. Hence the warnings.

lessped

Pedelecer
Sep 7, 2007
fire

When it's been stable for 24 hours without further expansion you can get rid of it. It isn't supposed to go into general waste for landfill disposal though most end up that way, better if possible to put it into the household battery recycling bin at your local centre from which it should be disposed of safely.

It's failure indicates that metallic lithium crystals have formed inside the case due to poor manufacturing quality, puncturing the internal insulation. Lithium doesn't usually exist in metallic form inside batteries and it's potentially nasty stuff. It's one of the metals that burn, doing so at very high temperatures, and in the presence of water it can produce hydrogen gas which greatly adds to the combustion total. Hence the warnings.
Hi there what exactly is the fire risk with these lithium batts. ie. i keep my Bafung in the house is that tempting providence do you think ..!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Hi there what exactly is the fire risk with these lithium batts. ie. i keep my Bafung in the house is that tempting providence do you think ..!
At one time when cobalt cathodes were the norm, it was severe, but since then the change to manganese and later compound cathodes has made them much safer. Much though depends on the battery quality, the very few cases of fire failure on e-bike batteries that I've heard of has been on cheaper batteries.

For the greatest safety they are best out of the house, but if indoors as most keep them, make sure they cannot transfer any burn to nearby combustible materials. It's also best never to charge them while out of the house or asleep, and having a smoke alarm in the room where they are is a good idea.

In most instances the casing of the battery has contained the expansion and hasn't allow the internal fire to emerge.