Li-ion chargers

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
I've got Bionx's 36v li-ion battery and have had vague thoughts about getting a second charger to use at work and I wondered if it would be easier and cheaper to get one here in the UK rather than import one from America - despite the exchange rate.

The markings on my charger are:
High Power - a logo
Model HP8204C(10S)
Input: 115/230VAC 60/50Hz 1.5/0.9A
Output: 36VDC 2A

Is the Ezee Torq one the same?

This has come about as a result of the information on here that li-ion batteries should be charged as often as possible, and I was wondering if that applies to all li-ion batteries, like the ones in iPods, bicycle lights, etc.

Any info gratefully received and digested!

Cheers
Nick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, that's the Torq charger exactly, in every detail you've given. Should be available from 50cycles, but not listed in their products separately so you'll need to mail or phone.

fiftycycles@50cycles.com Tel: 01509 2666 56

All Li-ion batteries, regardless of the chemistry or manufacture should be charged as frequently as possible, kept fully charged when regularly used. Only if in storage is it different. Then they should be stored at about 40% charge level and close to freezing point, but not frozen. A fridge is ideal.

Last edited:

Nick

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2006
Hi Flec

Thanks for that, very helpful. Out of interest, how long would you say constitutes storage?

Thanks again,
Nick

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
At the very least a month Nick, but realistically I wouldn't bother unless nearer three months. Basically it's only an emergency measure if one gets stuck with a spare battery, this limiting loss of capacity to as low as 2% per annum instead of up to 35%. I store a laptop battery that I very rarely use in the fridge, some 40% charged and polythene wrapped. All chemical reactions are slowed by low temperatures.

The fundamental advice is, only buy newly manufactured stock and start using it immediately, since the chemical decay starts the moment the cells are manufactured.

The only other relevant advice to note is that if it's not stored at low temperature, a bit of the charge should be used and the battery recharged at least once every three months, sooner ok, but no longer.

Jed

Pedelecer
Nov 1, 2006
Hi Nick,

I am sure I have seen this type of charger appear elsewhere on the internet. It appears to be quite a common one?

thanks
Jed

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I'm sure that you're right Jed. Chinese chargers seemed to have settled into a very small number of standard basic designs, with the eZee ones for NiMh and Li-ion similarly cased from the same manufacturer, but colour coded to prevent confusion, black for Li-ion and Grey for NiMh.

Jonathan1

Pedelecer
Nov 21, 2006
NIMH second charger & battery performance.

is there a good source on internet for NiMH second charger. The urban mover one is Shenzhen ABT, 3PX0-N7030, 1.8Aamp charger, looks same as the rest, for 24V battery. Cost from urban mover is excessive. Have found it in US, but would prefer not to import.
Also, I'm assuming it's best with NiMH to exhaust battery as far as possible before recharge. Is this correct?
Also trying to take off charge as soon as it goes onto trickle.
thanks,
Jonathan.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It might be worth trying Powacycle Jonathan.

Their battery seems almost identical to yours and their prices are low, battery at only £99. The charger isn't listed, but this web page gives all the contact details, phone, email etc.

Last edited:

langtry

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2007
Li ion Chargers

Just a follow up on previous comments here, details written in my charger are

HP (logo) model HP8204C (10s)
input 115/230 vac
60/50hz 1.5/0.9A

But the output shows differently to the one shown here earlier from Nick ??

mine gives output 42 VDC/2A

Could this possibly be a reason why I am having trouble with my chargers??

two duff ones??

langtry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That is a normal output if it's the actual voltage langtry, since the terminal charge voltage of the Li-ion battery is about 41.4 volts. A wrong output voltage wouldn't affect the charger, and since the battery circuits incorporate protection, that wouldn't be affected either.

These charger troubles on this HP model just resulted from one batch with faulty zener diodes incorporated, and a number have had to be changed.

langtry

Pedelecer
Sep 17, 2007
Battery Fault

Hi Flecc,

And yet another question,if as you say there have been a number of faulty chargers due to a Zenar Diode becomming duff for som reason,Would it be a difficult task to replace the diode mentioned by ones self? or must one be an expert to tackle this type of repair?Only interested because of my own personal experiences with faulty chargers,and thinking if it happened a gain would be tempted to replace the faulty item?Are these particular diodes easily available?Might be handt to have a couple of spares.

langtry

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I don't know which it is, or where in the circuit, although I have a suspicion of the function. I doubt eZee would know the type or it's value either, it just being an HP issue. Unfortunately these components are frequently without markings these days.

Zener diodes are easily available, but care is needed in replacing them in circuit, some experience really needed, plus knowledge of the connections for the package used.

Last edited: