Li-pol + Nimh Battery For Forza.

hobo1

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2007
Bingley, West Yorkshire.
Li-on + Nimh Battery For Forza.

I have owned a Forza now for about 6 months, & all is going well. My knees are nearly back to 100% now, thanks to E-bikes for physio.
I am wanting to extend riding distance, so have purchased Nimh battery (thanks allotmenteer for the tip off) to go with standard Forza Li-ion. What difference in riding performance will I find between one battery against the other?
I have made note of the pannier Flecc recommends for carrying a spare battery: but I am wondering if anyone has had experience of carrying one on the rear rack--maybe a long rack bag, or perhaps bungee straps.
Also does a pannier with heavy battery in unbalance the bike, or do you naturally compensate for it? :confused:

Cheers, David.

Last edited:

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I carried a spare battery in my pannier on my ride to work this morning!
It doesn't have any noticeable impact on stability.

I'd recommend it in preference to bungee straps as there is less risk of it falling off. A good rack bag may also work but can't speak from experience.

Frank

4beeches0

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2007
LS23
Hello David

Searching round for a suitable container for a spare battery without success I made a box from a length of black 5" wide square section gutter (well more half a hexagon than actually square). A bottom and a top to form a lid with end caps epoxied into position formed the box. Lined with medium density foam and fitted with chrome hinges and a pair of over centre clasps completed the box. With the cost of batteries being so high provision to fit a lock shouldnt be too dificult and you will find all the components and the guttering at B & Q. The finished box can be bolted into position on the rack. If your rack is anything like mine it has a raised bar at the front edge - I cut off this bar so the box could be positioned further forward. It may sound a little heath robinson but, made with care, it can look quite smart and few people recognise that it is made from guttering ! The rear end of the container could be employed to carry a reflector or even rear light. I havent bothered as I dont venture out in the dark.

John

hobo1

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2007
Bingley, West Yorkshire.
Hello David

Searching round for a suitable container for a spare battery without success I made a box from a length of black 5" wide square section gutter (well more half a hexagon than actually square). A bottom and a top to form a lid with end caps epoxied into position formed the box. Lined with medium density foam and fitted with chrome hinges and a pair of over centre clasps completed the box. With the cost of batteries being so high provision to fit a lock shouldnt be too dificult and you will find all the components and the guttering at B & Q. The finished box can be bolted into position on the rack. If your rack is anything like mine it has a raised bar at the front edge - I cut off this bar so the box could be positioned further forward. It may sound a little heath robinson but, made with care, it can look quite smart and few people recognise that it is made from guttering ! The rear end of the container could be employed to carry a reflector or even rear light. I havent bothered as I dont venture out in the dark.

John
Thanks John, It has crossed my mind to go down the DIY ROUTE. Yours seems to work & thats what matters.

Cheers, David

4beeches0

Pedelecer
Feb 24, 2007
LS23
As you were ! My home made container worked fine with the NiMH batteries from my previous bike (ebay special called 'Lightning' - actually it was pretty good until I rode it thro a ford). After posting my last message just thought I would check to see if my new Lithium batteries for my eZee Liv would fit. The answer is not quite. Think there may be a solution but wanted to issue this warning before members rushed down to B & Q. Suggest you do some measurements first.

John

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Yes, one in a pannier doesn't produce any unbalanced feeling.

I've also very occasionally carry one battery on the carrier, in the original cardboard box which pads it nicely, pending making a proper box. I use two short bungees to secure it, and the carrier on the T bike is modified with this main purpose in mind.

hobo1

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2007
Bingley, West Yorkshire.
Yes, one in a pannier doesn't produce any unbalanced feeling.

I've also very occasionally carry one battery on the carrier, in the original cardboard box which pads it nicely, pending making a proper box. I use two short bungees to secure it, and the carrier on the T bike is modified with this main purpose in mind.
Thanks Flecc, I have already sprayed the original cardboard box black & obtained 4 short bungees to hold secure:- this will do till I sort something out.

David.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Actually all mentioned other than NiMh are Li-ion David, so no problem!

The king of the jungle has no need to wimper. :)

Last edited:

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
There couldn't be better proof Ian. :)

I find an unbalanced side load less objectionable than a balanced heavy load on top of a carrier, that often causing more wobble and frame whip.

hobo1

Pedelecer
Mar 31, 2007
Bingley, West Yorkshire.
Thanks Ian & Flecc,that information well & truly puts the question of battery in pannier to bed.
I will have no qualms at all, & most proberbly go down the pannier route. :)

Cheers, David.

Ian

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 1, 2007
Leicester LE4, UK.
There couldn't be better proof Ian. :)

I find an unbalanced side load less objectionable than a balanced heavy load on top of a carrier, that often causing more wobble and frame whip.
Yes, I once carried a moderately heavy load in a rucksack, the effect was very noticable indeed.

frank9755

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 19, 2007
London
I have a set of those Altura panniers bought six years ago and used regularly with not a mark on them! I'm sure they will do the job

Frank

Tintaglia

Pedelecer
May 23, 2007
Nr. Newquay, Cornwall
I can vouch for Flec's view on high top loads. I foolishly decided to zip up my fleece (no hands) when going down hill on my Lafree yesterday and instantly regretted it. I encountered the most violent wheel wobble known to man! It disappeared when I hurriedly put my hands back on. I had checked just about everything I could think of when I discovered that holding one grip and shaking the bike had the frame "whipping" :eek: I compared it with our new Lafree which was fine. I was just having visions of a large crack in the frame lurking beneath the plastic covers when Mrs T suggested taking the the plastic top box off which I didn't think would do much good since it only contained two pumps and a tin of tyre gunge (belt and braces eh?) but lo, immediate cure! I even swapped the box to the good bike and it introduced the problem on that.

Moral: Keep hands firmly on grips when going fast downhill and (yet again!) Mrs T is always right. :D

Last edited: