Lifecycle mountain sport endurance

neptune

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 30, 2012
Boston lincs
Try before you buy . "Tests were carried out on a rolling road with non stop pedalling . " So no hills , and NO WIND DRAG ." There are guys out there who could do this test with no battery and no motor .

Alan B

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2011
Yatton
I wouldn't consider just because of that ridiculous range claim, rolling road test is totally irrelevent for reasons stated above.

FJJ

Pedelecer
Feb 7, 2011
West Lothian
I wouldn't consider just because of that ridiculous range claim, rolling road test is totally irrelevent for reasons stated above.
Is the range really ridiculous though on a pedelec? 28Ah at 37v is a lot of Ah - I did a fairly leisurely 15 mile cycle on Sunday using low/medium assist and used 2.8Ah (I have a Turnigy watt meter) in theory that would give me 150 miles on a 28Ah if it was completely discharged. There was only a mild breeze, went and returned the same route and there were a few hills (elevation profile attached)

elevation1782692quietest300x120.JPG

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
It's a believable figure. 12 watts per mile is about average and that would give 86 miles, 6.9 watts per mile would give 150 miles, and there are a few very fit e-bikers who get down to about 5 watts per mile, equal to just over 200 miles. Personally I think 8 watts per mile is the hinge point beyond which using an e-bike becomes a bit pointless, and that would give 130 miles.

Alan B

Pedelecer
Jan 5, 2011
Yatton
It all depends how much resistence is dialed into the rolling road. If it's very light, equivalent to cycling on a level road, I think the range of my Kudos King is likely to be as far as I can tolerate sitting in the saddle (lets say 120 miles in a day) because with no wind resistance it will be easy to cycle faster than the 15.5mph motor cutoff, and the battery won't run down !

I agree the range should be good, but to have it as a headline figure, basing it on a rolling road test, is deception. A customer is unlikely to be riding it in these conditions.

Gogs

Pedelecer
Jun 21, 2011
Berwickshire
I suppose that most manufacturers will exaggerate the mileage capability of their bikes by giving figures for tests done on the flat, and on the lowest power setting!
The 28 A/hour battery in this bike, should, however, make a vast difference to my journey home from work.
This is only around 7and a half miles, but begins with a one mile climb of around 1 in 5, followed by a flat mile, which is then followed by a 1 in 4 half mile climb. Then I have a bit of respite with a downhill mile and a half, which is then followed by a long one in 6 climb of a mile and a half with a short 1 in 5 near the top of it. There is then a short almost flat half mile before the last, and worst hill of the journey which is a mile and a half of torture. This one starts of at 1 in 5, gets steeper after about half a mile to 1 in 4 for about 1/4 mile, turns round a very sharp bend and gets even steeper to around 1 in 3 for 1/4 mile, and then flattens out for the last half mile to my house, ... phew!
The battery on my one year old Wisper 905 se sports can do this, but just, as it is really flagging to get up the last hill, and down to the last light, (range quoted for this bike 56 miles), which proves my first point about claimed mileages, they should come and test their bikes on this journey! This is why I would like more A/hours, not so much for extra miles, but the bikes stamina to have more power left for the last hill! My work is fairly physical, and the journey home is becoming a bit difficult at the end of a hard day as I get older. I will need to see if I can try out one of these bikes up some steep hills to see how they perform before committing to spend £2,000 on one. Thanks for all your input!

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
That is a really tough journey Gogs, many would think it far too tough for the average e-bike. I'm a bit puzzled about the 28 Ah claim, since the endurance version seems to have the same 17 Ah vertical battery but the illustration has a banner carefully masking the crucial parts of the bike. I suspect it may have a second rack mounted battery as well. You must of course try the bike first, since you need power for that journey and many are less powerful than your Wisper.

An alternative approach would be to use a crank drive bike and gain the advantage of the motor driving through the gears.

banbury frank

Banned
Jan 13, 2011
Hi

Be Careful The Add says 28 AH in one place for endurance NO price then says 17 AH on the Bikes

Also At these prices you would be better off buying a wisper bike with a 18AH battery with SUPPORT

A 28 ah battery would be enormous and heavy

Frank