Light tuning?

D

Deleted member 4366

I've not tried that one, but the 4 cell batteries are OK for a single emitter. That one has 11, so you'd need a pretty serious battery pack to run it. That pack of 6 cheap Chinese cells is probably not enough. I'd try one of these and fill it with 6 high discharge rate cells, which would cost about £24 plus the cost of the case:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/8-4V-6X-18650-Waterproof-Rechargeable-Battery-Pack-Case-For-Cycling-Bike-Light/182936596801?hash=item2a97def141:m:mQq327xEtki36UDDwqYfYyQ

or chuck it and get one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/3000LM-CREE-XM-L2-LED-Head-Front-Bicycle-Bike-Lamp-Headlight-Hunting-6400mAh-AC/161891967934?hash=item25b18363be:g:i58AAOSw6dNWTd5w

trouty

Pedelecer
Nov 4, 2016
west yorkshire BD20
wow those chinese Lumens have got large these days .
35000 lumens that would be 3181 lumens per led .
XML leds you may get 1000 lumens if driven at the full 3 amps so at best that light would output 11000 lumens .

so to drive them at that you would need 36 volts at 3 amps so 108 watts .

not a chance of driving that light at full wack with 6 probably crappy cells .

maybe with a good driver you could use your Ebike battery to power it

and the other light is a joke also 3000 lupins from one xml led
not happening .

you cant make a led light brighter by giving it more volts or amps without changing the driver circuit board .
well it may be brighter for a few seconds before the magic smoke comes out

• Agree
Reactions: Gringo

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
i bought one of those and it is just fake rubbish and did not last even 5 mins b4 it stopped working.

even if you could get a batt and a driver for the host the heat would get so hot so fast it would just go bang.

1 cree xhp 70 can do 3500lm but would need a heat sink with a fan of a cpu top run it that hot for any length of time.

it is why expensive light have say 5 hi end leds and run them under half of there full power each because of heat build up.

http://www.magicshineuk.co.uk/bike-lights/front-bike-lights/magicshine-mj-908-8000-lumens-bike-light-combo.html

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
Ok thanks for the replys. I don't think I should spend £30 on this light because it will probably die in no time. This is my second crappy eBay light after the first one died on the first outing. Ive got a 10 year old hope vision 2 on original battery that still works but it's just a bit dim.

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well the light is not as advertised so start a ebay dispute tho if you mail them first they might offer half the money back but up to you as i got full refund as it just died on me.

this is about 3000lm

Russelliow

Pedelecer
Apr 14, 2017
iom
I was going to send it back but I'm going to make do for now and when I have some cash I'll get a hope light of some sort

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
I was going to send it back but I'm going to make do for now and when I have some cash I'll get a hope light of some sort
you cant send it back as came from china and will cost a fortune to send it back recorded best option is ebay dispute as dont like bad feed back you can also have it removed if you left it already if you do that. ;)

D

Deleted member 4366

Not something that I would agree with.

Yeah, but everybody else does!

What bit don't you agree with? is the bit that says we told him which one to get or the bit that says I guarantee that he won't be disappointed, or something else?

KirstinS

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 5, 2011
Brighton
Not something that I would agree with.

Must admit , interested to know why for the money

I have one, as long as powered by decent cells, it's amazing . Two of those is enough for anything

I used on a 24 hour enduro through woodlands in pouring rain. No question of not being able to see enough

EddiePJ

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 7, 2013
Crowborough, East Sussex
www.facebook.com
Yeah, but everybody else does!

What bit don't you agree with? is the bit that says we told him which one to get or the bit that says I guarantee that he won't be disappointed, or something else?
"Everybody else" Where did you come up with that?

The light is okay for limited use on tight funds, but isn't exactly anything to write home about, and certainly fails for off road use. Even for on road use, with no suitable deflector, it isn't exactly a great performer when it comes to the consideration of other road users.

I really must get around to taking photo comparisons to show how poor that the light is when compared with my lights of choice. The difference is quite significant.

Last edited:
D

Deleted member 4366

"Everybody else" Where did you come up with that?

The light is okay for limited use on tight funds, but isn't exactly anything to write home about, and certainly fails for off road use.
It doesn't fail for my off-road use. It's been the only light I've used since I got it 18 months ago. You must have funny eyes or something!

• Disagree
Reactions: trouty and EddiePJ

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
well at least it has a realistic Lupin output

and cheap or recycled laptop batteries for the power .
i got two of those and 2 drivers for 6 quid ;)