Lightening does strike twice in the same place .

RoadieRoger

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 8, 2010
After yesterday`s adventure with my Fat Tyre I thought I would follow the same route on my Batribike Quartz Folder . Before setting off I changed the innertube in the rear tyre . I had been given a slime filled tube as a present and have had nothing but trouble with it . Slime oozing out , valves sticking etc. I set off and after 2 miles there was an enormous bang and the front wheel locked up . The alloy rim had parted where the brake blocks rub and the deformed sliver of alloy had punctured the tube which was at least 50 psi to start with . I had to remove the brake blocks to be able to push it home . Luckily this happened at walking pace , as a bit further on I would have been doing 25 mph downhill . Despite being my 83 rd birthday tomorrow, do I have a third attempt at my 25 mile route ? My crank drive Pro Rider is available as is the Fat Tyre which is holding air after yesterday`s abandoned trip . At one time I preferred simple block brakes but after having both rims on the Quartz split , I think that wearing out discs is preferable . Safe riding everyone !

soundwave

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 23, 2015
go tubeless i have never had a flat tyre, i even got my m8 to change from tubes to tubeless last year as kept getting flats and only took 6 years to get him to change lol and not had a flat since.

PC2017

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 19, 2017
Scunthorpe
valves sticking et
Most of the time, one has to arrange the valve at 10 or 2 o'clock and leave the slime time to move and settle at the base of tire, occasionally it can be fluked but best practice is to keep the valve clear of slime during inflating / deflating. As for the sliver of rim, it can happen, even checking rims periodically is not always a guarantee to catch a sliver + check the brake pads don't rub on the tire that can cause nasty blow outs.