Lightest Folding Bike options?

lampy

Finding my (electric) wheels
May 6, 2010
I bought an electric bike (Smarta LX) which has been great as I hurt my back/hamstrings. It weighs a ton though. Hard to get on and off trains with.

I'd like to think about a folding bike with electric motor - so that I can travel, take it on a flight for example, and not sure best options.

I have seen the Dahon MuSL which is about 9kg. I could have a motor and battery fitted - which would be lightest/best option?

I like 20 inch wheels, had a dahon before which I liked a lot. I do not like Bromptons. Posture is an issue and need to have very adjustable handlebars.

Also, anyone know about airline policies and folding bikes? Would like to fly to USA in winter and take bike with me.

Thanks!

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Plenty of reading here to get you going.

DIY or built for you via the link Flecc gave you.

Weights :

Bike 14Kg inc motor and electrical gubbins.
Bag 3Kg incl small 10 mile battery.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

Gaynor

Pedelecer
Nov 28, 2006
Lightest and very suitable for small wheel bikes is the Tongxin Nano motor:

The Electric Wheel Company
I thought mine, the Quando 2 would be among the lightest, I think it's 23kg with the battery, not sure of the weights of the ones recommended here yet.

One reason I went for this particular bike was the height, as I am only 5ft 5, when I was looking at the chopper (which I would of loved) but due to lack of space, and not knowing if my feet would touch the ground while sitting on the bike, same reason for the Torq, this is why it's a shame the main dealer is so far away, as it's difficult to test ride them. Just thinking ahead for a second bike one day, my daughter wants a bike but she is only 15 yrs old, and now I feel like my OWN mum, its too dangerous for her, and with a non electric she would be pushing it, a lot, and I wouldn't like her to go down the steep bits, some teens can be reckless (a bit like their mum eh;) ) so my answer remains No you cant have a bike, but she can use mine when its in working order and I'll be beside her, only on the grassy area.

It's interesting seeing the lighter bikes.

jac

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 1, 2007
hi i dont think any airline will carry lithium bike battery as they are classed as dangerous cargo you could look at gocycle which comes apart easily and has a metal hydride battery so an airline would probably carry that

jim

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Hi Gaynor,

You could consider the Urban Mover UM26S Urban Mover - the future is now which weights 19.6kg and costs £999.

Range of 25 miles from a Panasonic 24v 9ah battery and full suspension!

All the best
Mark
Looks like a nice bike but why not do away with the suspension and make it even lighter ? Why do you need suspension on a folder ?

Ultra Motor

Esteemed Pedelecer
Looks like a nice bike but why not do away with the suspension and make it even lighter ? Why do you need suspension on a folder ?
Hi Tim- that's what we are looking at doing for the next one..but the full suspension does make for a comfy ride!

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
Mark is absolutely right in many ways suspension on smaller wheeled bikes is pretty much essential to sheild you from the bumbs and rough rides.

The Brompton only has suspension on the back. I also own a Moulton that has both front and rear suspension and it makes for a real comfy ride on a 16" wheeled bike.

The EBrompton package is very portable sharing the load between bike in one hand and bag in the other. The Brompton also has one of the most compact folds of any other 16" wheeled bike and if you get stuck or have problems can easily be folded up and the journey completed by Bus, Train or Taxi/Car.

Regards

Jerry

Last edited:

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.
Mark is absolutely right in many ways suspension on smaller wheeled bikes is pretty much essential to sheild you from the bumbs and rough rides.
Seems like a fair comment, I've never ridden a folder!

Another design issue question, do they make folders so that they fold in such a way that the bike can be wheeled whilst folded? Similar to how you would pull wheeled luggage along? Seems daft to have to carry the thing when it has wheels!

eTim

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 19, 2009
Andover, Hants.

bode

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 14, 2008
Hertfordshire and Bath