Lithium-ion battery dangers

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Please don't worry Jonathan, I think John was possibly annoyed at my production of a docuument showing the truth of Concorde's French nature in support of what I posted.

It's often the case that faced with such evidence, those losing an argument resort to insults and nit picking, such as my misspelling of a historic and long out of use name.

I'm happy with that outcome, hence my not responding to John's last post directed at me.

I don't know why John is concerned, the revisions of history always win in the end, simply because those around at the time of events, sometimes as witnesses, pass on. I was reminded of that just recently when the last of my lifelong friends died a natural death from old age a month ago. That clearly signalled that I wont be around much longer to protest at inaccuracies relating to my contemporaneous knowledge and thus cannot suffer any consequences of misinformation.

That of course supports what John said, the issues are not really worth arguing over, so I'm happy to leave it at that.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
Dog with a bone comes to mind.
The insults continue, so much for knocking it on the head.

In reply to Tubamanandy, the original subject appeared spent when some posts illustrated that home appliances were the greater danger.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
The insults continue, so much for knocking it on the head.

In reply to Tubamanandy, the original subject appeared spent when some posts illustrated that home appliances were the greater danger.
Flecc you are a helpful and I'm sure a pleasant man, but that isn't any kind of insult it's a fact. I've seldom come across a more argumentative old bugger. Now I can be an argumentative old sod too. But you could argue discursively for Britain and never come to an end.

flecc

Oct 25, 2006
I thnk you've matched me one for one in every respect John, and I'm always amused when someone expressing an opinion states it to be fact as you've just done.

The real facts are that I've posted agreements to differ on a number of past occasions in this forum rather than argue, and I attempted to bring this to an end just before Tubamanandy's protest with this ending to my last comment:

"That of course supports what John said, the issues are not really worth arguing over, so I'm happy to leave it at that."

Reactions: VictoryV

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
I've got about 20 batteries in my house. You can find stories about mobile phones, laptops and tablets bursting into flames too, but do you put them in a safe overnight?

In the last 5 years on this forum, I think we had one report of a battery catching fire, which was a home-made one bought from Ebay that had no BMS. All Chinese and European ebike batteries have BMSs, so nothing to worry about.
awhile back, i had one of these batteries catch fire in my house, it also was bought from eBay, but was not a homemade one, and did have a BMS

see the original story here: http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/lithium-really-hot-batteries.8611/

crucial points being, the battery was not charging, or connected to anything,

Smokey the Cat has now left these realms for wherever cats go...if they don't go to Heaven, and if cats don't go to Heaven..i want to go where the cats go.

beeps

Reactions: jonathan75

jonathan75

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 24, 2013
Hertfordshire
awhile back, i had one of these batteries catch fire in my house, it also was bought from eBay, but was not a homemade one, and did have a BMS

see the original story here: http://pedelecs.co.uk/forum/threads/lithium-really-hot-batteries.8611/

crucial points being, the battery was not charging, or connected to anything,

Smokey the Cat has now left these realms for wherever cats go...if they don't go to Heaven, and if cats don't go to Heaven..i want to go where the cats go.

beeps
Thanks. I'd wondered if that were possible. I've heard this phrase used (by scientists I think), that 'the plural of anecdote isn't data' as a way of pointing out a methodological fallacy, dismissing an individual story as statistically insignificant, but in fact a single anecdote is actually often valuable data. After all it happened to you. By that fact you fall outside of the category of 'numbers so small to be insignificant and for practical purposes nonexistent'. I mean, you don't seem nonexistent lol ;-)

After all that I think a £15 barbecue with high feet, with a fireproof bag for storage of the battery while not being charged, sounds about the best option I can think of that's reasonably doable.

Cats are great. I imagine the battery may have been making hissing noises itself during the day, if it was having some sort of reaction.

Last edited:

Beeping-Sleauty

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 12, 2006
Colchester, Essex
Thanks. I'd wondered if that were possible. I've heard this phrase used (by scientists I think), that 'the plural of anecdote isn't data' as a way of pointing out a methodological fallacy, dismissing an individual story as statistically insignificant, but in fact a single anecdote is actually often valuable data. After all it happened to you. By that fact you fall outside of the category of 'numbers so small to be insignificant and for practical purposes nonexistent'. I mean, you don't seem nonexistent lol ;-)

After all that I think a £15 barbecue with high feet, with a fireproof bag for storage of the battery while not being charged, sounds about the best option I can think of that's reasonably doable.

Cats are great. I imagine the battery may have been making hissing noises itself during the day, if it was having some sort of reaction.
You’re welcome Jonathan

If you use a fireproof bag and a suitable protective floor stand, you are about as safe as you can be.

On the whole I tend to agree with the learned posters comments above, mostly these batteries are safe, but as we are seeing more instances where ignition occurs this safety record is obviously not 100%, bit like a reverse lottery ticket.

The point I’m trying to press home, is that these batteries can be a potential firebomb, connected or not, charging or not, BMS or not …and they can go off at any time.

Autopsy of the errant battery showed a deformed cell right in the midst of the cellpack, shorting out across the array, it had been fizzing away in there for some time and is likely what Smokey heard.

I implore folks to invest in a smoke detector located as close as possible to the charging point as is practical, the alarm which woke me that eventful night was just 5 feet above the battery, but the close proximity probably saved the whole room, if not more.

It’s also wise to have a plan…”what if”…. Think of some sort of fire blanket, burning batteries spit and drip fire, think of an exit route to take the battery and a safe place to dump it nearby, forget co2 extinguishers, use water, you’ll need lots. Takes five minutes to work out in advance.

The fireproof bags from about a fiver on eBay, smoke alarms the same, when you consider the awful possibilities… well I’m sure you don’t need me to worry yourself silly.

Heh..heh.. i have to admit to feeling insignificant & nonexistent sometimes, but that is probably the result of the fluoride in the water with a smidgeon of subliminal government wifi mind-control thrown in, but as we say at the Upper Bagley, Senior Citizens, Nude Formation Dance Team clubhouse
‘Don’t be Scared, Be Prepared’

Stay safe,

beeps
DCP_0344 (Medium).JPG Smokey helps me with the crossword

Reactions: jonathan75

JamesW

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nov 17, 2014
While you're at it, don't buy a dishwasher. Between 1 and 2 people die per annum from falling into it when loading/unloading and impaling themselves!

Very dangerous things dishwashers!!!:)