London cyclist tempted to join the fold - Gocycle GS?

D

Deleted member 4366

The feedback from those who have actually ridden the G3 is overwhelmingly positive - in fact I have struggled to find any negative comments anywhere (apart from carping about the electronic limit).
The speed limit and all the power profiles can be adjusted using a smartphone. The control system is more adjustable than any other electric bike that I've ever seen. If you decide to buy one, make it a condition that the dealer gives you the software and access you need before you pay your money.

• Useful
Reactions: LeighPing

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
And OP think of the girls you will meet! "Oh what a fab bike, can I have a go please?" = pub lunch date, diner, the movies, ... ;)

MikelBikel

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 6, 2017
Ireland
Still a great looking bike and ticks all the boxes of Auto?, Single-sided fork, swingarm, Fully enclosed drive, 5-spoke mags and Suspension.
Maybe the bike looks a little too feminine for masculine taste, or am i being unfair?
I lost interest when the G1 at £1500 disappeared and then came back as 'new' G2 at £3000. I believe the Hedge fund ..... got hold of the company.
Just like Brompton.

Funinhounslow

Finding my (electric) wheels
Oct 6, 2017
West London
Well it arrived yesterday and I've just come back from a quick "test run"!

I'll add a proper review in the reviews section at some point but until then...

Assembly was very straightforward - it all slots together like Lego or Meccanno.

The ride - small fat tyres and a low centre of gravity are a joy after my Cyclecross as is the upright riding position - just perfect for cutting through the city traffic.

The assistance is wonderful for getting away at lights, junctions etc. I get up to 25 km/h quite quickly and it's quite a dissapointment when the motor suddenly cuts out. But still I found it easy to maintain a steady speed of 28km/h without too much of an effort considering my upright stance. Got to an incline and the motor kicked in. Marvellous.

For my intended use - short frequent trips in city traffic - this thing is going to be perfect. The fact that I will be able to ride it in my "normal" clothes is just the icing on the cake.

TL/DR - Extremely well thought out bike - the perfect urban runaround

P1050399.JPG

• Informative
Reactions: E-Wheels and flecc

Wave

Oct 7, 2017
London
Well it arrived yesterday and I've just come back from a quick "test run"!

I'll add a proper review in the reviews section at some point but until then...

Assembly was very straightforward - it all slots together like Lego or Meccanno.

The ride - small fat tyres and a low centre of gravity are a joy after my Cyclecross as is the upright riding position - just perfect for cutting through the city traffic.

The assistance is wonderful for getting away at lights, junctions etc. I get up to 25 km/h quite quickly and it's quite a dissapointment when the motor suddenly cuts out. But still I found it easy to maintain a steady speed of 28km/h without too much of an effort considering my upright stance. Got to an incline and the motor kicked in. Marvellous.

For my intended use - short frequent trips in city traffic - this thing is going to be perfect. The fact that I will be able to ride it in my "normal" clothes is just the icing on the cake.

TL/DR - Extremely well thought out bike - the perfect urban runaround

View attachment 21733
Congratulations and glad you are enjoying it.

Regarding the max assistance speed, you can upgrade the firmware to another region and get 20mph. Just run the configuration from the app and you will be asked what firmware to use.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Funinhounslow

Oct 6, 2017
West London
Still a great looking bike and ticks all the boxes of Auto?, Single-sided fork, swingarm, Fully enclosed drive, 5-spoke mags and Suspension.
Maybe the bike looks a little too feminine for masculine taste, or am i being unfair?
I lost interest when the G1 at £1500 disappeared and then came back as 'new' G2 at £3000. I believe the Hedge fund ..... got hold of the company.
Just like Brompton.
Grey and black looks fine - I'm not sure I could carry off the white and pink though...!

I think the current price of the GS at £2200 (not for much longer mind!) compares well to £1500 for the G1.

This bike was Kickstarter funded - are you sure a hedge fund "got hold" of the company?

Funinhounslow

Oct 6, 2017
West London
Congratulations and glad you are enjoying it.

Regarding the max assistance speed, you can upgrade the firmware to another region and get 20mph. Just run the configuration from the app and you will be asked what firmware to use.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Hi yes I did see that, but in the wake of Charlie Alliston I think I'll keep my bike legal :)

D

Deleted member 4366

I'm pretty sure that they can be made to assist to well above 20 mph. You done need to upgrade any firmware. It's done with the standard software in th phone app. You need the higher level of access to it, which the dealer has. Did you take my advice and agree the access as part of the deal? Do you want access to it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I had slicks on my first bike and they were very good in the wet. The gum was very sticky and the small contact patch chases the water, you don't get hydroplaning on a bike because you are too slow. They were useless on sand compared to Big Bens, both wheels all over the place so not good for the seaside folk.

Funinhounslow

Oct 6, 2017
West London
I'm pretty sure that they can be made to assist to well above 20 mph. You done need to upgrade any firmware. It's done with the standard software in th phone app. You need the higher level of access to it, which the dealer has. Did you take my advice and agree the access as part of the deal? Do you want access to it.
No I didn't/don't.

In the wake of the Charlie Alliston judgement I think anyone involved in an incident using a "derestricted" bike is asking for the book to be thrown at them, regardless of who was at fault