London cyclist with a 12 mile commute

automatik

Finding my (electric) wheels
Jan 7, 2015
Hi there

I've posted on the forum a few times.
I have bought a flykly ( which is ok - not too happy with the lack of torque on it but ok, I ride it 3 times a week ) and a Woosh Big Bear who I have since sold as it was just too bulky, unwieldy and I felt a bit self conscious riding it.
I'm looking to buy another bike to help with my commute, especially during winter when I might not feel too bothered to get on my non electric bike.
So I have a bit of time to do proper research but thought I'd ask the forum for some good tips.
I am looking for a nice commuting bike with decent range and good torque ( I'd prefer a good top speed ) that doesn't attract too much attention around the £1000 mark. I'd consider spending a bit more but ideally that's how much I'd spend.
I am 6 foot and 88 kg.
I have looked into the KTM Macina Force 29 which is the one that's looked the nicest but very happy to take tips on other bikes which might have escaped my attention.
Cheers.

JohnCade

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 16, 2014
You want something robust, with good waterproofing and reliable components. Something comfortable to ride with good brakes and solidly built. Like a Kalkhoff or other similar German bike. Its Impulse 11 motor is one of the most powerful as well.

Looks are subjective but IMO far less important than the other things for a commuter bike.

trex

Esteemed Pedelecer
May 15, 2011
you want something light, sub 19kgs, with the ability of the Big Bear, 700C wheels, and a 13AH downtube battery.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
Nothing wrong with a KTM/Bosch bike.

They are also a good ownership prospect because KTM have dealers and service back up.

The Macina is a mountain bike, which seems an odd choice for a commuter.

No doubt KTM will have something in a more trekking style, with a rack, mudguards and probably a basic light set.

The Bosch 11ah battery will do a 12 mile return trip OK, even if you use a fair bit of assistance.

Put a dongle on a Bosch bike and you should have all the speed you need - with some pedalling.

Have a look at some of the Ghost bikes on this link.

You may not want to buy direct from Germany, but site will give you some ideas on bike style.

http://www.mhw-bike.com/ebikes/