Lone Commuter

billadie

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 27, 2010
Tewkesbury
I have recentlly moved from Gloucester to Tewkebury. I still work in Gloucester and commute - on my Smarta ebike - a round trip of 23 miles along the A38.
It is a really enjoyable way to start/finish the working day, even in the wet weather we have had in the last fortnight.

What surprises me is that once outside the towns I very rarely see any bikes, electric or not. I have a suspicion that I may be the only cycling commuter on this route. There are plently of cars, vans and motorcycles, and I know many people commute. I just don't know any cyclists doing it.

I know that several forum members commute similar or longer distances. Are other routes equally bike free zones?

I can undestand people being frightened by the speed, and volume of traffic. Would long distance commuting cycle paths help? Most of the paths around here are either in towns, or pretty but winding variety.

Bill

scarrabri

Pedelecer
May 14, 2011
Stoke on Trent
Hi ,i dont do the same distance as yourself,but i use the canal towpath ,and boy is it busy with other cyclists,all heading for work,best wishes Brian.

kitchenman

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jul 9, 2010
Aberaeron, West Wales
Hi Bill,
I'm coming to the end of a year of cycle what is mainly part of Sustrans Route 23. I'm compiling a video which will show all the other cyclists that I have encountered. I suspect that there will be less than 10! I know one of them. Tim, who I work with, will be the star as I have passed him more than anyone else. I'm thinking of naming the video "morning tim" ...which is what I normally say as I fly past ...

Marchant

Pedelecer
Sep 8, 2010
Bath, UK
My commute is 14 miles round trip on the A367 Bath - Peasedown. It's a very busy and hilly road but I regularly pass 5 or six bikes going the other way, one of which has been (but not in the last few weeks, thinking about it) a pedelec. By coincidence I've actually met one of the guys (hi Keith) so we hail each other in passing. Much more fun than driving...

Mussels

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 17, 2008
Crowborough
I see loads of cyclists (often 20 plus waiting for a set of lights), I rode in this morning with a chap on a Freego Eagle and it was good talking to someone who could keep the same pace. :)
I tried Sustrans routes but they are pretty rubbish for commuting, loads of obstacles, slow and meandering. The TfL cycle routes are much better, I think they asked local cycling groups for suggestions.

jerrysimon

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 27, 2009
Cambridge, UK
I commute across Cambridge city center. Wall to wall cyclist :p

Was I glad of my assistance the last two days when caught in thunder storms.

Oh and also because my car has been out of action since last Friday!

Jerry

Alex728

Esteemed Pedelecer
Dec 16, 2008
Ipswich
I can undestand people being frightened by the speed, and volume of traffic. Would long distance commuting cycle paths help? Most of the paths around here are either in towns, or pretty but winding variety.

Bill
I think these days its often unusual (or only done by the very brave) to ride on busy A roads at commuting time. When I lived in Reading I did occasionally ride on the A4 off peak when visiting friends in Maidenhead or even West London - and this was on a unpowered pushbike - but the bulk of traffic on that route was as you expect on the M4 and even then there were some hairy stretches where you had to keep your wits about you. I would not have liked to have done the same route at a busier time.

Here in Ipswich I regularly see cyclists riding to and from work at all hours. However much heavy traffic ends up on the A12 / A14 leaving much of the town centre a lot quieter.