Long Distance Tourer?

Jonah

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 23, 2010
EX38
I was tempted by the gravel bike option but they all use thru-axles and I couldn’t find any compatible kits to fit. I went for a Thorn Classic Tourer in the end and am waiting on the components to arrive to convert. I’m hoping this way I get a first class touring bike with decent range for about £2200 all in. I would really have liked the R&M but my other half wouldn’t let me!

• :D
Reactions: Triple777

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
I was tempted by the gravel bike option but they all use thru-axles and I couldn’t find any compatible kits to fit. I went for a Thorn Classic Tourer in the end and am waiting on the components to arrive to convert. I’m hoping this way I get a first class touring bike with decent range for about £2200 all in. I would really have liked the R&M but my other half wouldn’t let me!
Good job you have the skills for the conversion then. I dare not tell my other half that I have even looked at one, let alone how much they cost.

• :D

Triple777

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Something like this might also do the trick, although this supplier only has it in 56cm.

I have toured on an unpowered MTB when I was much younger & fitter. It was not a good tourer. The gearing was useful, but the geometry made for a cramped ride unsuited to longer distances; that despite me making efforts to make it a more comfortable ride.

I have toured (Frankfurt to Budapest) on a 'proper' tourer, similar to the Surly. It was so vastly better than the MTB. It had drop bars, rim brakes and no suspension, but it was made for the job - not adapted - and did it very well. I should add that the luggage choice is another factor. Get good bags; e.g. Ortlieb and consider front panniers to spread the load equally.
What is your view on panniers Vs trailer?

Nealh

Esteemed Pedelecer
Aug 7, 2014
West Sx RH
Thru axle Gravel bike I would consider a GSM mid drive with remote KT controller.

Denis99

Pedelecer
May 26, 2016
South Wales
www.instagram.com
Nuvinci vs Rohloff.

Luckily I have owned both.

The Nuvinci is probably less efficient than the Rohloff in terms of extra drag and resistance, but on the ebike it's not such the importance it would be without battery assistance.
So, I wouldn't say its a deal breaker.

Rohloff can be a little noisy at times, the Nuvinci is silent, again , not a massive issue.

However, the infinitely variable gearing and smooth gear change is something that is unique to me.

It has to be ridden to be appreciated, and having ridden conventional derailleur gears on an ebike, it does make a difference in terms of riding.

Chain wear, or stretch, has been non existent in the 750 miles of use, something that didn't happen with the derailleur system, I suspect the Rohloff would give minimal chain wear also.

Nuvinci is heavier than the Rohloff.

I prefer the Nuvinci, but Rohloff is still an excellent choice, in truth, no that much in it.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
What is your view on panniers Vs trailer?
Trailer for me. The bike handles better except on long downhills where braking becomes an issue.

Gubbins

Esteemed Pedelecer
Nuvinci vs Rohloff.

The Nuvinci is probably less efficient than the Rohloff in terms of extra drag and resistance, but on the ebike it's not such the importance it would be without battery assistance.

Rohloff can be a little noisy at times, the Nuvinci is silent, again , not a massive issue.

However, the infinitely variable gearing and smooth gear change is something that is unique to me.

It has to be ridden to be appreciated, and having ridden conventional derailleur gears on an ebike, it does make a difference in terms of riding.

Chain wear, or stretch, has been non existent in the 750 miles of use, something that didn't happen with the derailleur system, I suspect the Rohloff would give minimal chain wear also.

I prefer the Nuvinci, but Rohloff is still an excellent choice, in truth, no that much in it.
What about the Carbon Belt option for the Rohloff? are they any good?

Triple777

Pedelecer
Aug 31, 2015
Nuvinci vs Rohloff.

Good to know, thanks.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I posted a picture of this in another thread (forgot which one): https://www.bikerumor.com/2017/10/13/burley-trailers-coho-xc/

I wish they had gone for a 20" wheel but otherwise it pushes all the buttons. I have a 2 wheel trailer and you have to keep the speed down especially in the corners. Remark you only put it on the roof once... :confused:

Warwick

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jun 24, 2015
Warwick
I once toured with a Bike Hod round Holland. Nightmare. It was very windy & the upright nature of the trailer acted as a sail slowing me down immensely.

I'd say it depends on how much stuff you want to take. I usually put the tent in the front panniers and everything else in the rear panniers. A good touring bike will be set up to handle the load, so whilst handling won't be gazellesque, it shouldn't wobble to any great extent.

If it's a months-long expedition, maybe a low-slung trailer is the way to go.

anotherkiwi

Esteemed Pedelecer
Jan 26, 2015
The European Union
I once toured with a Bike Hod round Holland. Nightmare. It was very windy & the upright nature of the trailer acted as a sail slowing me down immensely.

I'd say it depends on how much stuff you want to take. I usually put the tent in the front panniers and everything else in the rear panniers. A good touring bike will be set up to handle the load, so whilst handling won't be gazellesque, it shouldn't wobble to any great extent.

If it's a months-long expedition, maybe a low-slung trailer is the way to go.
I can see that type of trailer being a problem...