Looking for advice to buy my first bike

blueclue

Just Joined
Aug 26, 2017
London
I am hoping someone wold be able to help me to decide which models of bike are suitable for m.
I am hoping to commute to and from work and just calculated from the wooshbikes website my future commute details:
One-way: 13.4 miles, return: 26.8 miles, outbound elevation: 149m, inbound elevation: 230m
At 10mph: outbound consumption: 154WH, inbound consumption: 154WH, return trip: 312WH
At 15mph: outbound consumption: 184WH, inbound consumption: 190WH, return trip: 374WH

I am 5'2'' female and wooshbikes has one model suitable for my height - Petite

I am able to claim cycle to work discount at work. As my commute in London is quite expensive I can spend up to 2.5K on my bike. It would be nice to have a comfy ride. I am, I think, looking to buy a stepthrough bike. No chance to use trains to reduce distance cycled home up the hill (unless late in the evening).
I think I also need to buy a book about maintenance and basic repairs. Which one to get?

Please suggest some other bike models I should consider. My nearest bike shop is https://www.cyclingmadeeasy.co.uk/ but last time I checked 3 months ago I wasn't able to get my cycle to work discount there :(

Rupert1

Pedelecer
Mar 22, 2017
north wales
I am hoping someone wold be able to help me to decide which models of bike are suitable for m.
I am hoping to commute to and from work and just calculated from the wooshbikes website my future commute details:
One-way: 13.4 miles, return: 26.8 miles, outbound elevation: 149m, inbound elevation: 230m
At 10mph: outbound consumption: 154WH, inbound consumption: 154WH, return trip: 312WH
At 15mph: outbound consumption: 184WH, inbound consumption: 190WH, return trip: 374WH

I am able to claim cycle to work discount at work. As my commute in London is quite expensive I can spend up to 2.5K on my bike. It would be nice to have a comfy ride. I am, I think, looking to buy a stepthrough bike. No chance to use trains to reduce distance cycled home up the hill (unless late in the evening).
I think I also need to buy a book about maintenance and basic repairs. Which one to get?

Please suggest some other bike models I should consider. My nearest bike shop is https://www.cyclingmadeeasy.co.uk/ but last time I checked 3 months ago I wasn't able to get my cycle to work discount there :(

My wife has a Woosh Petite, she to is 5'2" and weighs about 8st. It will cope with the distances you quote, she has the 15ah battery. It comes with a good leaflet on basis maintenance and repairs and Woosh themselves are very helpful.

D

Deleted member 4366

The Woosh battery consumption simulator is based on average to larger sized people. You won't use as much as that unless you're as wide as you are tall.

Forget about books. Everything is on Youtube now and it's free. Generally, there isn't much maintenance to do. It would be easier to advise you on that after you get your bike because every one is different. They can never include them all in a book.

• Agree
Reactions: D C

D C

Esteemed Pedelecer
Apr 25, 2013
How about just buying a Woosh Petite which will be well within your budget and Woosh are excellent folk to deal with, run it for a year or so then you will know exactly what sort of bike you really want/need.
You should get around half the cost back or you may even want to keep it.
My other half is your height and finding a ready made bike isn't easy.
Dave.

blueclue

Just Joined
Aug 26, 2017
London
I weight much more than 8 stones :) I'll talk to the Whoosh people about their Petite bike.
Thanks all for taking time and respond. If anyone else has other suggestions please share them with me.

RobF

Esteemed Pedelecer
Sep 22, 2012
I think you need to try an ebike to see if the commute is doable for you every working day.

Fourteen miles across Greater London is quite a hike.

Riding responsibly - stopping at lights and so on - it will take you over an hour.

I suppose that might compare favourably with public transport.

Riding any bicycle in London is not for everyone, it's a bit of a battle out there.

I enjoy it on an occasional basis, but wouldn't want to do it daily.

blueclue

Just Joined
Aug 26, 2017
London
I used to cycle in London many moons ago. My commute door to rood is around one hour. I think I will probably start with once/twice a week and as I build my stamina I'll see how it will go.

Ideally I would leave my bike in a secure storage somewhere half way through but I am not sure if there are lockable places under a roof like that. We have excellent storage provision at work so I may do one way trips to start with as an alternative. I am an experienced driver too. I think I just need to find a way to mount my phone for waze/google life maps reading.

Last edited: